• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal Connect on Node 2i?

Hello ASR folks - long time lurker, first time posting!

I'm interested in using the Node 2i as a streaming receiver for both Tidal and Spotify. To be clear - I understand from amirm's review that the DAC is to be avoided if possible, but the rest of the unit seems pretty legit if you pass the signal off via TOSLINK to an external DAC, which is the plan here.

I have used Tidal in the past (on a Roku Ultra) and was frankly pretty disappointed with the cross device integration - specifically I was thinking they would have features like Spotify Connect, where I can toss my session from device to device, or drive the session on one device using another. For me, without getting too deep into the particulars of my current setup, I found this lack of cross device integration to be a real drag, and I simply found myself using Spotify so much more than Tidal, even though the sound quality is clearly worse. The big must haves for my setup to be practical (which I get from Spotify Connect on my Roku Ultra) is the ability to control the Spotify session on my Roku via either my laptop or phone - both the playback selection AND the volume level. About six months ago I stopped my Tidal subscription, but a buddy of mine the other day pointed out that Tidal has now come out with Tidal Connect (lol at basically stealing the name from Spotify but whatever), which seems to do all the things I'd want:

https://tidal.com/connect

I'm wondering if anyone with a Node 2i has been able to play play around with the Tidal Connect integration, and if they have any feedback. Does it work generally the same as Spotify Connect does? Specifically - If using the Node 2i simply as a streaming receiver (and sending the audio out digitally via the TOSLINK) does changing the volume level on Tidal using Tidal Connect change the volume of the digital signal being sent out of the Node 2i?

In an ideal world, Roku would implement Tidal Connect on their devices, and I'd be able to get what I want with the equipment I already have - but who knows if and when that would happen. Also worth noting - the Node 2i seems to be one of the few devices that ACTUALLY supports MQA streaming from Tidal. I was pretty disappointed researching all this looking at devices from NAD and Cambridge, and finding out that at least for the Cambridge streaming units, they don't actually support MQA!! This, to me, is nuts:

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio....oes-my-Network-Streamer-support-MQA-playback-

As best as I can tell, they're saying "we support MQA if you plug into the USB port from your computer a source that's MQA quality" - I'd be pretty mad if I spent $1600 on Azur 851N and then found out it can't stream MQA from Tidal. The fact that the Node 2i is one of the cheapest devices that supports Tidal Connect and one of the very few that seems to actually support MQA streaming is pretty impressive to me!

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I have the node 2i and have used the tidal connect feature. However, if you use the digital out to another DAC that DAC needs to be capable of accomplishing the final MQA unfold itself. Using the digital out bypasses the MQA function because it’s tied to the internal DAC of the node. Tidal connect integration seems pretty seamless. However I normally use the Node App to change volume and not the tidal app. I guess I could try, but why?

OP
SimpleDumbPilot
Ah thanks so much, this is all excellent information!

I would definitely still be interested to see if Tidal Connect is able to change the digital output volume, if you have a moment to play around with it, but no worries if you don't. The reason why I ask - a good portion of the time I control my music from my laptop while I work, and so I'd be using the Tidal Connect features via the desktop Tidal interface, not via an Android/iOS app.

As for MQA - I had assumed (incorrectly it seems) that MQA was simply bit depth/sample rate, but it seems that it's more complicated than that? What would I need to look for in a DAC to be sure it can unfold MQA?

AdamG

Forum Donor
IIRC, MQA has three folds to be unfolded. Each fold increases the bit rate. The first unfold is done by Tidal app or equivalent. This first unfold gives you CD quality. The second and third unfolding is accomplished by the MQA DAC and gives you higher sampling and bit depth. All of the previous supposes you believe in the MQA concept. Not widely adored here. But some do like it and THAT is all that matters.

The volume control function I can check for you. Maybe not tonight, but tomorrow will work. I will get back to you then.

dmilller

With iOS, the Tidal app controls Connect volume by the adjusting the primary volume control of the device. It's no different than how volume is controlled when streaming from the device.

OP
SimpleDumbPilot
Thanks so much to both of you! I'm going to go ahead and order one - even if I don't use MQA, the improved HiFi level that I'll get from Tidal with the cross platform integration that Connect now offers is easily worth $550 to me, and then some.

dmilller

One place the the 2i loses volume control is MQA output to an external DAC. In that case the external DAC or connected preamp will need to do volume control.

Basically "MQA external DAC" option is greyed out unless "Output Level Fixed" is selected.

Interestingly, it appears to still do subwoofer out at a user selected crossover frequency while outputing MQA to an external DAC. I haven't tried it, but the software options do allow this selection.

Anyone know of an external DAC that is MQA listed and has a remote? The Topping D70s looked like a good solution, but it apparently lacks a remote. On my most musical system I prefer to connect the DAC directly to a power amp.

OP
SimpleDumbPilot
I think the 70s does have a remote, at least according to this:

https://apos.audio/collections/brand-spotlight-topping/products/topping-d70s-dac

I started poking around after @AdamG247 clued me in on MQA DACs - one thing you'd want to confirm is that whatever DAC you get (if you want MQA) supports MQA input on a digital output that the 2i has - which is to say coax/optical. If you look at the specs on the 70s, it says that you can ONLY feed it MQA via the USB cable, which is to say hooked up to a laptop. It seems the USB port on the 2i is only for input, not output. The same seems to be true for the D90 MQA. For me, I always want my streamer to be independent of both my phone and my laptop, hence the Roku (and the 2i when it shows up).

AdamG

Forum Donor
Op,

I just ran a volume control test. Using Tidal app connecting to the Node via Tidal connect. Streaming to amp thru the Node DAC or outputting via digital connecting to outboard DAC, the volume control in the Tidal app did adjust volume. This was all done using an Apple iPad Pro. I did not try from windows laptop, so have no confirmation on that config.

OP
SimpleDumbPilot
Many thanks @AdamG247! Looks like my 2i will be here in a few days. I wish Tidal on Roku would support Tidal Connect, but hey this still feels like an upgrade, and not a very expensive one at that!

dmilller

I'll add that I can't hear the difference between Hifi and MQA on Tidal, but I still prefer an MQA capable DAC.

I'm currently experimenting with a Shitt Modius attached to the Blue 2i (moved from a desktop system). The modius does render brass instruments better (as a brass player it is noticeable), but I would not say I notice a difference in most recordings.

OP
SimpleDumbPilot
Well I got my Node 2i, and also upgraded my DAC at the same time to a SU-9 MQA - so far absolutely loving both. The only hiccup so far - I can't seem to get the Tidal desktop app (Windows 10) to "Connect" - the Android app works flawlessly, but the desktop version doesn't seem to see any of my Connect enabled devices. According to the Tidal website, the Windows 10 desktop app supports Connect, and all my devices are on the same wifi network (which also seems to be a req, unlike Spotify Connect). I put in a support request to Tidal and searched the web, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or has been able to use the Connect feature on the Windows 10 desktop implementation. Firewall issue perhaps?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Just tried it. Works Ok.

I assume you are using the Tidal Windows App - not the Tidal Web interface,

OP
SimpleDumbPilot
Yup, I'm using the dedicated app, not the web interface. I even uninstalled and reinstalled just to be sure, no joy. Hmmm. Frustrating.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
There should be a "Connect" icon at the bottom right of the screen.

1611432226649.png

OP
SimpleDumbPilot
Should be, and yet, none shows up. I even added the Node 2i to my Bluetooth devices, to see if it shows up that way - oddly the Node doesn't even show up as a playback device once I do that. Entirely possible it's my laptop, not Tidal/Node.

OP
SimpleDumbPilot
Also should add - My home network is running on Google Nest routers/nodes, and using WPA2 security - it's possible that Tidal Connect isn't happy with that particular flavor of security just yet? Just a guess.

OP
SimpleDumbPilot
A happy update - Tidal downloaded an update last night, and boom, all of a sudden Connect now works on my laptop too! So stoked on my new setup, thanks to all who helped.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
A happy update - Tidal downloaded an update last night, and boom, all of a sudden Connect now works on my laptop too! So stoked on my new setup, thanks to all who helped.

They must have read your posts.

Top Bottom