• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TIDAL Chromecast to CXN v2

seangoodman

Excuse my ignorance here but a quick question I may,

When doing the following ..Tidal app on iPad - chromecast to Cambridge CXN V2 which has chromecast built in, does the stream go direct to the CXN or does it go to the iPad first then over the Wifi network to the CXN?

in other words does the iPad just function as a remote control or does it actually do the streaming?

many thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

When doing the following ..Tidal app on iPad - chromecast to Cambridge CXN V2 which has chromecast built in, does the stream go direct to the CXN or does it go to the iPad first then over the Wifi network to the CXN?

in other words does the iPad just function as a remote control or does it actually do the streaming?

many thanks

The former. I am pretty sure casting works the same on iOS as android . To test, start an album playing, then turn widi/ data off ipad, bet the album plays long after buffer runs out

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

many thanks

Doesn't the Cambridge has Tidal connect?

OP
S

seangoodman

The former. I am pretty sure casting works the same on iOS as android . To test, start an album playing, then turn widi/ data off ipad, bet the album plays long after buffer runs out

thanks for that, cant do the test sadly as this question is part of my decision making regarding wether to get the cxn as i dont fancy the cambridge app much and was thinking about using tidal chromecast as a potential workaround, dont fancy having the whole stream going over the ipad though

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for that, cant do the test sadly as this question is part of my decision making regarding wether to get the cxn as i dont fancy the cambridge app much and was thinking about using tidal chromecast as a potential workaround, dont fancy having the whole stream going over the ipad though
Almost certain casting means exactly what you think unless it's a local file of course. Airplay is the other way round

OP
S

seangoodman

Doesn't the Cambridge has Tidal connect?
Not yet appantley, not bought a streamer yet, am in process of trying to decide which, whats holding me back on the cambridge is i dont like thier app much, with tidal connect not being released yet by cambridge that only leaves chromecast, just concerned that means the stream will go over the ipad. Such a shame the cambridge app isnt a bit sexier

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not yet appantley, not bought a streamer yet, am in process of trying to decide which, whats holding me back on the cambridge is i dont like thier app much, with tidal connect not being released yet by cambridge that only leaves chromecast, just concerned that means the stream will go over the ipad. Such a shame the cambridge app isnt a bit sexier

they announced that the will release a frimware update in October, so it could be any day now.

The cambridge has the holy trinity of streaming (Spotify Connect, Airplay and Chromcast) so I don't see why you would ever use their app at all with the addition of Tidal connect.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

Just tried casting a track from Tidal on iPad to a CCA. Powered off the iPad and the track kept on playing. So, I don’t think the stream goes over the iPad.

You say you don’t fancy the Cambridge app much. I don’t think you will fancy the app supplied with any streamer when compared to the native Tidal app. However, I’ve never heard any negative comments about the Cambridge app.

OP
S

seangoodman

Just tried casting a track from Tidal on iPad to a CCA. Powered off the iPad and the track kept on playing. So, I don’t think the stream goes over the iPad.

You say you don’t fancy the Cambridge app much. I don’t think you will fancy the app supplied with any streamer when compared to the native Tidal app. However, I’ve never heard any negative comments about the Cambridge app.

thanks, it has turned out that i was incorrect in my view on the cambridge app. I had been looking at the wrong one! I had been looking at cambridge connect on utube but now realise it should have been stream magic. My mistake and i am now pleased as that app looks much better, think i will be going for the cambridge

Top Bottom