• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal announces Tidal Connect

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

bYOndo

strange that they don’t roll-out this feature with their desktop apps (as renderer)
from a pessimist point of view, we could imagine that Tidal has no selling interest in this feature. Let's face it: pc/mac app is free, specific hardware is not. I hope I'm very wrong...

somy

from a pessimist point of view, we could imagine that Tidal has no selling interest in this feature. Let's face it: pc/mac app is free, specific hardware is not. I hope I'm very wrong...
Well let’s hope that’s not the case.

Taddpole

If they hope to increase subscription numbers rather than increase sales of hardware that they get limited amount from seems like it would be advantageous.

Be nice to be able to control playback on an old Android/ios device connected to amp from current Android/ios device too, but I could make do with Windows playback.

mSpot

Tidal wants to match Spotify Connect capabilities, and by your argument Spotify had no incentive to support PC/Mac either but they did it long ago, from the beginning.

Last edited:

Eneen

I've written to Tidal Support asking for mobile->mobile control feature:
So control of desktop app is coming, that's great. But will it be
possible to control other mobile device?
They've answered that as they will analyze this on meeting. Maybe if they have more such requests they will introduce this feature.

crowdypooster

This is excellent news! Wish list:

Android device control of Windows 10 Tidal app --> DAC --> system
Android device control of Raspberry Pi device --> DAC --> system

I have a home full of Chromecast audio devices, but I would prefer full resolution audio through Tidal Connect once the above options are available.

mSpot

Who can recommend alternatives to Tidal?
Can you be more specific, e.g. alternatives based on pricing, music catalog, streaming resolution, features, etc? Do you currently use a streaming service and what are you looking for?

CBM

I'm using Tidal Connect with my Bluesound Node 2. I like the Tidal app much better than the bluesound app for a couple of reasons. First, there is so much more information about the performers, and the shuffle is better. Bluesound uses the 100 tracks after your selection for the shuffle and Tidal seems to use the entire playlist. This gives much more variety. I still can't search a particular playlist for songs though. Over all...much better.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I'm using Tidal Connect with my Bluesound Node 2. I like the Tidal app much better than the bluesound app for a couple of reasons. First, there is so much more information about the performers, and the shuffle is better. Bluesound uses the 100 tracks after your selection for the shuffle and Tidal seems to use the entire playlist. This gives much more variety. I still can't search a particular playlist for songs though. Over all...much better.

Also, BluOS wont let you edit Tidal playlists or deselect a track from ”Favourites”. As you say, Tidal Connect is much better.

MisterDee

I've been waiting for this from a Hi-res streaming service for a while. My current bubbleupnp/foobar method is a bit clunky and so when I heard the news I rushed and renewed my Tidal subscription for Tidal Connect as I assumed I'd be able to control the desktop app from the mobile app but was surprised that it was a missing feature. You'd think that after putting this tech together, the first thing they would do is apply it and test it with their own app!

Oh well, at least they are working on it. I hope "coming soon" isn't like Spotify's "coming soon" for their Hi-res feature

mSpot

I hope "coming soon" isn't like Spotify's "coming soon" for their Hi-res feature
It was never "coming soon" for Spotify — that was only something that got spread around audio forums. Spotify has only done market surveys to gauge interest. Presumably they haven't seen enough demand so far for the business case.

D

Deleted member 22273

Are there any bd-player or avr as supports tidal with digital out?

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom