• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal and android direct playback petition/feature request

Eneen

Android Tidal app has serious limitation regarding quality: it passes sound through android mixer. This leads to three main problems:
1. Resampling into 48kHz
2. Only 16 bit is possible
3. External USB DAC is also affected

Of course we can use UAPP to substitute original app, but UAPP, despite of being great, has some limitations:
1. It doesn't do offline playback
2. Explore UI features are missing: artist related playlists, credits, appears on, biography, related artists etc.
3. It doesn't offer on-device cache system (same reason it lacks offline?)
4. It's not that fast and often shows error messages when browsing that never happen with original app
5. It can't play redbook HiFi stream when MQA is available (tidal limitation)

I've heard that Tidal is working with MQA to solve third problem. Maybe this is good time to create petition so they can code proper direct playback. Currently apps supporting this are UAPP, Neutron, Poweramp, Hiby Music (DAC only) and Onkyo Music (DAC only). I've made some tests to see what path UAPP is actually using and it looks like it doesn't need to output 24bit (it does) but rather use AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT. I think 24bit together with AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT are what we are after here as it solves hiss problem on sensitive IEMs and avoids resampling.

I'd like to create petition that has all possible technical data and ask everyone interested to send it to Tidal. I know it sounds bit crazy but it may work. Main point would be quality improvement on USB DACs and IEMs. What do you think?

Last edited:

sev1

Forum Donor
I'm all for it. I just got an LG G7 to replace a Note 10 and NX4 / xDSD combo. I love just having one device to carry around, but I do definitely prefer the Tidal and Qobuz app interfaces mainly because I don't really have any offline music and love the explore features. Would also be good to just have a way to get around it for all apps including Amazon.

Top Bottom