• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal Alternative

D

Deleted member 39414

It’s worth mentioning that services might use different masterings of the source material. While the fidelity may be the same across services, one might hear differences in the content itself. Better/worse is up to you of course.

Gio

It is indisputable that Qobuz has many more file Hi-res. I had them both for 1 week and it was obvious. For example many "Harmonia Mundi" records (for classical listeners know what I mean) are in Hi-res on Qobuz and in CD quality on Tidal. Then I don't think we want to discuss whether the Hi-res file is superior to the CD file or not.

Tom C

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In Ubuntu, set up Pulseaudio to avoid resampling. Then Pulseaudio will change the system sample rate to match the track you're playing. If the native sample rate changes from track to track, Pulseaudio automatically changes between tracks. It can do this only if no other apps are playing audio. Pulseaudio cannot change the sample rate while audio is playing.
Details here.
Thank you for the link. However, I am unable to get this to work. I'm using Google Chrome to access Qobuz on a Linux Ubutnu 20.04.3 LTS updated to latest as of today. I select up to 192kHz on the Qobuz web app, but Sabaj D5 reports receiving 44.1 over USB. If I use JRiver to play my own files from NAS, Sabaj reports receiving the native bit rate of the file.
I've tried a couple of different browsers, but same result. Also same result using web app on Windows 10. Maybe I'm not getting hi res from Qobuz through the web app?

MRC01

Major Contributor
On Ubuntu, I found that Google Chrome always resamples everything to 44.1 or 48, no matter what Pulseaudio is configured to do. Firefox passes audio directly through to Pulseaudio, so it works as expected with Qobuz (and other services that stream lossless high def like Primephonic). If you are using PulseEffects, it will also lock the sampling rate, so make sure it's not running.

Steve Rogers

Suprised that no one has mentioned deezer hifi which provides cd level lossless streaming. I have been using it past couple years and am very satisfied, I can find whatever I want in jazz and 95++% in classics.

MaxBuck

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Suprised that no one has mentioned deezer hifi which provides cd level lossless streaming. I have been using it past couple years and am very satisfied, I can find whatever I want in jazz and 95++% in classics.
I was pretty pleased with Deezer during my brief free trial. It wasn't worth the cost premium over Qobuz, though.

Reactions: Gio

Steve Rogers

I was pretty pleased with Deezer during my brief free trial. It wasn't worth the cost premium over Qobuz, though.
In would fact check that, it looks like Deezer is now combining the standard sub with the hifi sub so it should be the same price more or less. I can't be sure because we don't have Qobuz here in Israel so I can't see their prices without some effort to hide my ip.

Top Bottom