• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TIDAL accused of deliberately falsifying streaming numbers

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes, that's a bummer. Really hope they team up with others. But I can't in good conscience keep on supporting Tidal now.
I salute you sir. ;)

Ratatoskr

I have subscriptions to both Tidal and Quobuz. I am listening to Quobuz more because SQ is generally better and Quobuz has a better selection of albums to stream in the genres I listen to. Will probably drop Tidal. The only problem with Quobuz is the desktop app is a little buggy so I use Audirvana+ instead.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I have subscriptions to both Tidal and Quobuz. I am listening to Quobuz more because and Quobuz has a better selection of albums to stream in the genres I listen to. Will probably drop Tidal. The only problem with Quobuz is the desktop app is a little buggy so I use Audirvana+ instead.

Can you give a handful of examples where Qobuz «SQ is generally better» than Tidal?

Ratatoskr

Do you subscribe to both services so you can confirm my opinions? Also, you would really need to be using Audirvana+ as that player is better than the Quobuz desktop app (more depth to the soundstage and better imaging.) There is a free trial for Windows 10. Regardless I will list a few to compare over the next couple of days.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Do you subscribe to both services so you can confirm my opinions? Also, you would really need to be using Audirvana+ as that player is better than the Quobuz desktop app (more depth to the soundstage and better imaging.) There is a free trial for Windows 10. Regardless I will list a few to compare over the next couple of days.

I have them all.

Ratatoskr

Here is one: Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat 20th Edition 16/44.1.

Comparing playback in Audirvana+ on Quobuz vs. Tidal desktop app the SQ in favor of Quobuz in most apparent. Cymbals are tizzy on Tidal and there is loss of soundstage width and depth. Moving up to Tidal on Audirvana+ SQ improves but there is lack of air and realism compared to using Quobuz on Audirvana+. Playing on Audirvana+ from Quobuz gives the best sound in my system. Cymbals are extremely realistic, the soundstage opens up with better imaging. I can hear fine details and echoes that I am missing on Tidal. This is a well recorded album that sounds as good as most 24/96. You have to look for it but there is quite a bit of 24/192 on Quobuz, Elvis Costello for example.

I'll probably drop Tidal. There are only a few albums I listen to on Tidal that Quobuz does not have and I can just buy the hirez downloads of those.

Ratatoskr

Probably won't happen then Roon has already stated that the API Quobuz provides is not enough to do the deep integration Roon users expect. I don't need Roon: Audirvana+ works quite well for me at a bargain price compared to Roon. Darko has written he gets slightly better SQ from Audirvana+ than Roon in his system. For me $74 for a lifetime of Audirvana+ vs. $499 for Roon was a no-brainer though I appreciate users with large collections need the metadata Roon serves up.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Darko has written he gets slightly better SQ from Audirvana+ than Roon in his system.
Darko is a great TV personality but his assessment of audio fidelity are unfortunately not correct.

Ratatoskr

Not my first rodeo, as an audio enthusiast for many years I have learned not to take anything I read on any forum or website as gospel but ultimately trust my own ears.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not my first rodeo, as an audio enthusiast for many years I have learned not to take anything I read on any forum or website as gospel but ultimately trust my own ears.
If any two streamer services are using the same digital source and they sound different to the end user, either something is amiss with one of the streamers processes. Or expectation bias is causing the listener to hear something that isn't there.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Ditto(with a few exceptions) except I don't trust my own ears.
shrug.gif

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

A lot of people say this, but then it turns out they make their decisions based on sighted listening ;)

Theo

Has anyone recorded the same song from both services and done a null test?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ambivalent about Tidal ... Its tight integration and the fact that I can stream lossless is a big plus or me.
I also have SPOTIFY which I find myself listening to it more and more ...

Corporate wrongdoings are so prevalent that we become numb somewhat ... I do not condone it but ... We've seen worse and kept using services or products ...
I am on the fence :(

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
NO, say it ain't so Joe.
Jay Z and crew caught being dishonest?
I'm gobsmacked. :facepalm:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As my philosophically brilliant but morally ambiguous grandfather used to say, "...it ain't illegal if you don't get caught..." ;-)

Remember, it's not what you're allowed in life, it's what you can get away with.

Eric Auer

Gangsters? LOL.

You people forgot how many artists were/are more or less enslaved by record companies and producers ?

You people boycott labels?

Some funny shit...

Eric

Top Bottom