• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal: 6 Months Left

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
After reading Atkinsons leading editorial for this months Stereophool,
https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-some-claims-examined
And then Austins piece, it appears pretty clear to me that the magazine is setting up a full scale assault on the anti-MQA voices, with articles to be published over the next few months.
We knew they had totally sold out to the Meridian juggernaut for quite a while, now it looks like they want to attempt to discredit any of the opposition in the eyes of subjective audiophool land.
Very sad IMHO
Maybe we should get some MQA pom-Pom's made up and send them to the stereophile office.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
LOGIN FAILED TO TIDAL

Trying to login to Tidal via Roon and Audirvana in the past two or Three days gives me this message from Audirvana:

«Network error contacting TIDAL server:
code -1202: The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “api.tidalhifi.com” which could put your confidential information at risk».

Roon just hangs, cannot connect.

I’ve tried both Mac, Windows even the new Audirvana for Windows. I even tried to make a new user...no success.

Normal Tidal login via app, desktop application and browser works.

It’s only Roon and Audirvana based Tidal login that fails. Audirvana accepts my Qobuz login, but not Tidal login.

Any ideas, anyone? Tidal hasn’t answered my request yet.

I am surprised nobody else (I’ve Googled) has experienced this problem.

It also shows that Roon cannot base its product on just one streaming company. If Roon had Qobuz or Deezer this would’ve been no problem; I could just change streaming company.

Maybe this is the kind of problem that typically happens more frequently just before a company goes to Chapter 11?

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
It is working fine here with both Roon and Audirvana.

What happens if you try:

api.tidalhifi.com

in your browser?

(What I suspect is that Tidal sees my ip address and sets up a faulty connection based on my location, possibly location when I was registering as a customer).

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What happens if you try:

api.tidalhifi.com

in your browser?

(What I suspect is that Tidal sees my ip address and sets up a faulty connection based on my location, possibly location when I was registering as a customer).
Firefox loads a blank page here.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Thanks @Strictly Stereo and @Sal1950 for inputs!

I upgraded the firmware of my Asus rt-ac68u router...and then it worked again.

This must be a frustrating problem for service providers, if their service breaks down due to older firmware in routers and other architecture.

Asus is a pretty big router name so I wonder if this has hit more Tidal users than me?

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
LOGIN FAILED TO TIDAL

Trying to login to Tidal via Roon and Audirvana in the past two or Three days gives me this message from Audirvana:

«Network error contacting TIDAL server:
code -1202: The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “api.tidalhifi.com” which could put your confidential information at risk».

Roon just hangs, cannot connect.

I’ve tried both Mac, Windows even the new Audirvana for Windows. I even tried to make a new user...no success.

Normal Tidal login via app, desktop application and browser works.

It’s only Roon and Audirvana based Tidal login that fails. Audirvana accepts my Qobuz login, but not Tidal login.

Any ideas, anyone? Tidal hasn’t answered my request yet.

I am surprised nobody else (I’ve Googled) has experienced this problem.

It also shows that Roon cannot base its product on just one streaming company. If Roon had Qobuz or Deezer this would’ve been no problem; I could just change streaming company.

Maybe this is the kind of problem that typically happens more frequently just before a company goes to Chapter 11?
No, I suspect secret Russian interference with Tidal/Roon operations. Others will follow. The reason is they are busily working on their own global streaming service - Tidski - and they are going to start sabotaging other streamers to help launch and promote it. I hear they have a whole bunch of balalaika orchestra favorites ready to go in RQA, their advanced version of pitiful MQA, and that the RQA-ready DACs, with Russian-made tubes of course, are ready to be shipped. It will not be supported by Roon, but it will be by the new Roonovich software.

I hear Trump is furious, and he plans to hammer Putin about it in the upcoming Helsinki Summit. There are no plans to bring up the Russian meddling in the 2016 US Elections, because Putin has already said Russia had nothing to do with that.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
No, I suspect secret Russian interference with Tidal/Roon operations. Others will follow. The reason is they are busily working on their own global streaming service - Tidski - and they are going to start sabotaging other streamers to help launch and promote it. I hear they have a whole bunch of balalaika orchestra favorites ready to go in RQA, their advanced version of pitiful MQA, and that the RQA-ready DACs, with Russian-made tubes of course, are ready to be shipped. It will not be supported by Roon, but it will be by the new Roonovich software.

I hear Trump is furious, and he plans to hammer Putin about it in the upcoming Helsinki Summit. There are no plans to bring up the Russian meddling in the 2016 US Elections, because Putin has already said Russia had nothing to do with that.

Finally, you’ll have a streaming company, Tidsky, that will stream mch operas and ballets in full glory for old geezers!

;)

PS: On a serious note, as I am no network helpdesk worker, I think this shows that we’re pretty far away from the internet of all things. AI? Maybe in 2100. Do routers exist today that update themselves? And have you looked into all the advanced settings of a router? What a mess!

Grave

I would rather buy lossless than stream it. I hate subscription services. I can listen to all the music I want for free in lossy on spotify. If I like it I buy the CD.

Thanks @Strictly Stereo and @Sal1950 for inputs!

This must be a frustrating problem for service providers, if their service breaks down due to older firmware in routers and other architecture.

Asus is a pretty big router name so I wonder if this has hit more Tidal users than me?

Just out of curiosity, did you try restarting your router before updating the firmware? I am just wondering if this would have been enough to resolve the TIDAL problem. It is generally good to have the latest security updates and bug fixes though.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Just out of curiosity, did you try restarting your router before updating the firmware? I am just wondering if this would have been enough to resolve the TIDAL problem. It is generally good to have the latest security updates and bug fixes though.

No, I didn’t restart. Maybe that would’ve helped.

This certificate thing through api.tidalhifi.com is beyond my network skills. I am surprised I can’t find anything on the internet about it (Tidal related).

I wrote about it above.

I couldn’t access Tidal via Roon or Audirvana because of a faulty network certificate through api.tidalhifi.com.

I see. I know virtually nothing about TIDAL's API, but I would assume that they are using certificates to enable encryption and possibly authentication as well. If Roon was unable to validate the TIDAL server's certificate then I would expect to see an error like this. That could point to a problem at TIDAL, but it could just as easily be your Roon server or something in between.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I see. I know virtually nothing about TIDAL's API, but I would assume that they are using certificates to enable encryption and possibly authentication as well. If Roon was unable to validate the TIDAL server's certificate then I would expect to see an error like this. That could point to a problem at TIDAL, but it could just as easily be your Roon server or something in between.

The «certificate thing» happened both in Roon and in Audirvana. Points to Tidal (api.tidalhifi.com) being the problem.

Tidal has shown little interest in the problem.

Which irritates me.

And it irritates me that Roon streams Tidal only, even if one-man shop Audirvana streams both Tidal, Qobuz and Highresaudio.

Irritatingly yours,

;)

The «certificate thing» happened both in Roon and in Audirvana. Points to Tidal (api.tidalhifi.com) being the problem.

Tidal has shown little interest in the problem.

Which irritates me.

And it irritates me that Roon streams Tidal only, even if one-man shop Audirvana streams both Tidal, Qobuz and Highresaudio.

Irritatingly yours,

;)

So not a Roon or Audirvana issue then, it seems. I am not aware of anyone else having problems though and your problem disappeared after you updated and restarted your router. Occam's razor and all that.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I didn’t restart. Maybe that would’ve helped.
Probably, it has for me in the past with things like netflix. When in doubt turn all the gadgets and network devices off and on again, then google the crap out of it, if it still no luck, and only after that try to raise a case.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

I've got one of those Asus AC68u VDSL routers here someplace. My issue was every minor change on a screen takes forever to 'apply'- it has to save each thing- there is no global 'save changes' facility. Once up and running, it's a fast and solid router, but being as I'm often in my router adding rules/mac addresses and fixed IPs etc, it drove me nuts. It's in a box for 'emergencies' now.

Top Bottom