• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal’s New Lossless Tier Says Goodbye to MQA (but does it really?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Here is the link: https://twitteringmachines.com/tidals-new-lossless-tier-says-goodbye-to-mqa/

“Tidal, beginning in Australia, is offering a new streaming Tier that separates lossless CD-Quality (HiFi) from Hi-Res MQA/Atmos/360 Reality Audio (HiFi Plus). Here’s what the new three-tiered approach looks like:

• Premium – $11.99 AUD a month with standard sound quality (320 Kbps)
  • HiFi – $17.99 AUD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps)
  • HiFi Plus – $23.99 AUD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps), Master Quality audio (up to 9216 Kbps), and immersive audio – 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music”

OP
AdamG

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
If the above article and link story proves true. Looks like @amirm was right about MQA going away and it took 2 days for news to break.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Finally, the only service that both has a decent interface and interconnectivity with other apps and doesn’t seem to be really missing a lot in terms of music library. But still, I’ll be waiting on Spotify HiFi and what’s their take on this matter.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does the atmos library look like?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the article:

HiFi Plus – $23.99 AUD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps), Master Quality audio (up to 9216 Kbps), and immersive audio – 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music

You would think if they are saying goodbye to MQA they might use different terminoligy than Master Quality audio

Edit: I'm confused. Does HiFi Plus tier still include MQA. I think so? But also hires PCM up to 9216 Kbps? The confusion fest does not make Tidal attractive to me.

Last edited:

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From the article:

HiFi Plus – $23.99 AUD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps), Master Quality audio (up to 9216 Kbps), and immersive audio – 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music

You would think if they are saying goodbye to MQA they might use different terminoligy than Master Quality audio

Edit: I'm confused. Does HiFi Plus tier still include MQA. I think so? But also hires PCM up to 9216 Kbps? The confusion fest does not make Tidal attractive to me.

My take on this is that Tidal MAY BE being intentionally vague with their language. The term “MQA” doesn’t appear in this particular notice, but there are still references to MQA (the process) in Tidal online propaganda if you look for it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't really say a lot. PR releases can be like that.

Freeway

I believe they are testing the airwaves in response to the MQA backlash especially in light of Spotify coming out with CD quality.
Kind of vote with your wallet. Will peeps pay for their snake oil (Hi Fi Plus) on the rocks?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Here is the link: https://twitteringmachines.com/tidals-new-lossless-tier-says-goodbye-to-mqa/

“Tidal, beginning in Australia, is offering a new streaming Tier that separates lossless CD-Quality (HiFi) from Hi-Res MQA/Atmos/360 Reality Audio (HiFi Plus). Here’s what the new three-tiered approach looks like:

• Premium – $11.99 AUD a month with standard sound quality (320 Kbps)
  • HiFi – $17.99 AUD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps)
  • HiFi Plus – $23.99 AUD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps), Master Quality audio (up to 9216 Kbps), and immersive audio – 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music”
It's also worth to note Tidal announced this in Australia around the same time Qobuz launched their service in general in Aus;

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/qobuz-launches-in-australia-and-nz.22971/

Good to see some decent offerings and competition in this space.

JSmith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I believe they are testing the airwaves in response to the MQA backlash especially in light of Spotify coming out with CD quality.
Kind of vote with your wallet. Will peeps pay for their snake oil (Hi Fi Plus) on the rocks?
Indeed. Test marketing is always done in a small market and then brought back to larger ones. This way they get some stats on uptake of MQA by itself and can then weigh the cost/benefit. Speaking for myself, if they charge me more for MQA, I will opt out.

OdysseusG

The atmos library is what would get me to upgrade. Depends how robust it is.
It's slowly expanding but has been very thin. I was very interested until we listened around at a buddy's place with all the requisite gear. Almost every single Atmos version was very obviously bright compared to the stereo mixes, often painfully so.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's slowly expanding but has been very thin. I was very interested until we listened around at a buddy's place with all the requisite gear. Almost every single Atmos version was very obviously bright compared to the stereo mixes, often painfully so.

That’s very strange.

firedog

My take on this is that Tidal MAY BE being intentionally vague with their language. The term “MQA” doesn’t appear in this particular notice, but there are still references to MQA (the process) in Tidal online propaganda if you look for it.
Tidal almost never uses the term MQA. They usually talk about Master Quality and Masters.CD

Can we trust these 1411 Kbps are not MQA files with tags removed?

My guess is that the "CD" tier will also stream to you so called "MQA-CD": it's important for you to get something that isn't up to CD quality for your money, right? Especially as Tidal have eliminated thousands of real Redbook albums in their catalog and replaced them with the bastardized MQA versions.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Living in Sweden where Spotify dominantes the market . I’ll opt for waiting a bit more and test thier hifi offering.
I have a quite large local collection, streaming is more of complementary activity for me.
If I really really like something i get myself some files or media .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom