• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX vs non-THX amps for HD800s and K7xx/Q701

recycledcans

I am new to the audiophile arena and need some advice/recommendations on an amp/dac for my AKG K7xx (Q701) and potentially HD8xx when that comes out.

From my understanding, OTL tube amps or "warmer" amp/dac combos are best for the HD800s, but I'm looking to stick with solid state and have narrowed it down to either the more appropriately-priced THX technology (i.e. $250 Drop 789, $150 Drop AAA One, or $300 Monolith 887) with a cheap $100-200 DAC, or non-THX such as slightly higher-priced Topping's stacked offerings ($580 A50s, $760 A30Pro, or $650 DX7 Pro) or Schiit's stacked offerings ($400 Jotunheim 2+$200 Modius DAC).

My use case is 75% 4K movies, 25% music (EDM, instrumentals). Which setup will provide me with the best synergies with those two cans, while offering the best value right before the concept of diminishing value kicks in?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I am new to the audiophile arena and need some advice/recommendations on an amp/dac for my AKG K7xx (Q701) and potentially HD8xx when that comes out.

From my understanding, OTL tube amps or "warmer" amp/dac combos are best for the HD800s, but I'm looking to stick with solid state and have narrowed it down to either the more appropriately-priced THX technology (i.e. $250 Drop 789, $150 Drop AAA One, or $300 Monolith 887) with a cheap $100-200 DAC, or non-THX such as slightly higher-priced Topping's stacked offerings ($580 A50s, $760 A30Pro, or $650 DX7 Pro) or Schiit's stacked offerings ($400 Jotunheim 2+$200 Modius DAC).

My use case is 75% 4K movies, 25% music (EDM, instrumentals). Which setup will provide me with the best synergies with those two cans, while offering the best value right before the concept of diminishing value kicks in?
I have a Magnius/Modius stack and a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube amp. I would hesitate to plug my HD800s into the DV336SE. I am much more comfortable without the crackles.and pops of that design with my expensive phones. My Schiit stack is great. I would recommend parametric equalization of the HD800s (or xx), but I am sure you could get good sound with a tone control like Lokius. PEQ would be best, but if you prefer all analog or something, maybe a Magnius, Lokius, Modius stack would be a good setup.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think this is in the wrong forum.
@AdamG247 assistance please?

Top Bottom