• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX Onyx Review (headphone adapter)

Jimbob54

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for the answer.
I dont need an systemwide EQ. I want the most neutral presentation of the sound. Flat is what i am looking for. No dramatic boosts or cuts.

it would cool if you would name a few so i can do a research. I already removed the dragonfly-s from my list.

Right now i am looking at the Volectric Chronos and Earmen Colibri.

The THX Onyx is still at the first place but as my budget is almost triple the price of Onyx i am looking for even more magic.
Top of the dongle heap is the luxury and precision w2.

slajmerr

Top of the dongle heap is the luxury and precision w2.
i cant find a review on audiscience or a comparision to onyx? the only thing i know is that it drains more battery. other than that it looks fantastic

Jimbob54

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i cant find a review on audiscience or a comparision to onyx? the only thing i know is that it drains more battery. other than that it looks fantastic
Look on l7 audiolab for a review.

Jimbob54

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
do they have enough power to drive hd650s loud? :)
thanks for your help! that site is in chinese? :D
It gets auto translated for me on chrome. Hint, the lottoo doesn't fare too well.

But seriously, for the price you're looking to spend, I'd get 2 things, a dongle like the tempotec sonata HD pro for mobile use, then a good $100 desktop amp like the JDS Atom, fed from the same dongle as a DAC for desktop use.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It gets auto translated for me on chrome. Hint, the lottoo doesn't fare too well.

But seriously, for the price you're looking to spend, I'd get 2 things, a dongle like the tempotec sonata HD pro for mobile use, then a good $100 desktop amp like the JDS Atom, fed from the same dongle as a DAC for desktop use.

Yep. I have the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro hooked up to my THX 789 amp. But no one wants to believe that a dongle DAC is just as good as the desktop DACs that cost more money. I love it because it doesn't take up any space. Just hangs out back with the cables. lol

staticV3

Major Contributor
try clicking the link.

it says
Latest Firmware: 8640
Release Date: June 25, 2021

NHL99

That's what I saw. I just wondered if I was missing something and there was something new.
I got the device April 2021 and had missed the FW update available from June 2021, sorry for causing a stir.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received this to test and it sounds very veiled in the high frequencies. I'm not sure if this is the filter, placebo, or both, but for what it's worth:
Screen_Shot_2021-12-08_at_6.18.36_PM.png
I experienced the same thing. I put it back in the box on the shelf of products to sell. I haven't tried it again. However after checking the review here it might be because I tried it with my planar headphones. I will try it with normal headphones and see (or actually hear) what the results are.

Top Bottom