• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

THX Onyx Review (headphone adapter)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know whether or not the Onyx has auto impedance sensing? I hope not.

I've decided it's time to find a well-measuring dongle that I don't have to always trick into high gain for my low impedance, lower sensitivity headphones.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
Does anyone know whether or not the Onyx has auto impedance sensing? I hope not.

I've decided it's time to find a well-measuring dongle that I don't have to always trick into high gain for my low impedance, lower sensitivity headphones.
I own an Onyx and several LG phones. Thankfully the Onyx doesn't do any kind of impedance switching.

staticV3

Even if load sensing isn't a problem with the THX Onxy, the ~125mA current limit may be one when you plan to drive low impedance, low sensitivity headphones.

pk500

That was a HUGE pain in the ass with the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro dongle, which led me to return it. Shame, as it otherwise worked well for cans that didn't need a lot of power.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That was a HUGE pain in the ass with the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro dongle, which led me to return it. Shame, as it otherwise worked well for cans that didn't need a lot of power.

The Onyx has dropped to $150, back ordered, on Amazon. The price is encouraging me.

I don't find my Sonata HD Pro a "HUGE pain in the ass" to use the extender to fool it into high gain. As I'm always plugging in the dongle to use with my Android phone, so it only adds a few seconds. But I could see how it would be an annoyance if you wanted to leave your headphones plugged into a computer and had to replug everything in when restarting your computer every time.

So in my case, I think I'm mostly looking for an excuse to buy a new piece of tech :)

Top Bottom