• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX is what? And why would it be important to an audiophile?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I bought the NAD 2400THX amplifier back in December of 1991
I had 2 of them purchased as refurbs around the same time. Ran them in bridged mono to power my dual HSU subwoofers, lot's of juice for very little money. ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Right - however these sources don't focus on inexpensive speakers, and they don't really characterize how loud and clean they can play, both of which are important to consumers.
I plan to change that should we get into speaker testing.

OP
B

BigVU's

Forum Donor
Wow! Learning every day here. So basically, my little Pioneer VSX56TXi with the THX Logo means its sold for blokes like me. Decent but not hifi, does an okay job but not close to real Cinema, it met "someones" min standards and since traded around for name of the brand sake. And here I am again.... haha looking at Marantz models 8802 or earlier at a used rate just to get something better than a best buy version of real crap. Nice, I actually do feel a bit better but not shocked that THX yet has turned into a marketing gimmick. Love this site.Thank you!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Wow! Learning every day here. So basically, my little Pioneer VSX56TXi with the THX Logo means its sold for blokes like me. Decent but not hifi, does an okay job but not close to real Cinema, it met "someones" min standards and since traded around for name of the brand sake. And here I am again.... haha looking at Marantz models 8802 or earlier at a used rate just to get something better than a best buy version of real crap. Nice, I actually do feel a bit better but not shocked that THX yet has turned into a marketing gimmick. Love this site.Thank you!

It doesn't necessarily mean that it is horrible...just that it really doesn't mean anything at all these days.

I have an Integra 80.3...actually, I have both the AVR, and the AVP. Balanced in, 9x2 balanced out. I got it/them to make the whole HDMI thing easier, and style wise I don't love it but it isn't really in view anyway. They can go for pretty cheap these days (relatively speaking) I believe as well.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is probably fine and surely sounds and measures much better than a lot of stuff the audiophile rags would tell you to buy.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I always got the sense that it was meant to be significant for movie playback. I don't recall anyone ever claiming it did anything for home audio. And I recall that home amps marketed as THX were selling their advantage for movie playback, not home audio.

I also dimly (and therefore unreliably) remember that there was some question as to whether THX specs were even good for stereo playback.

Of course, I was still reading Stereophile then, so...

Andysu

Major Contributor
THX tom holman george lucas found there way into the toilet. Sure it felt sounded great in Indiana Jones 3, 70mm SR SS 1989 to 1994 which was last time I heard, timecop dts THX at Empire Leicester Square. Didn't sound so great with Empire Leicester Square 2007 THX with dbx 4800 sounded dreadful, far too bright harsh and painful to even enjoy the rubbish movies shown in Empire 1, presentation was really heading down for collision course, transformers 35mm SR-D sounded dreadful, toy story 3d dreadful, x-files I want to believe it wasn't dogs barking, sounded appealing, the spy who loved me, ghastly appalling worst THX ever at Empire 1, star trek total utter rubbish sound, star trek into darkness... theu I was sure the title was star trek into DEAFNESS cos it was unbearably painful had to cover my ears each time loud scenes played and the worts dolby labs atmos I have ever head. Would have prefered 70mm Dolby A-type.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Like many Audiophiles, Theater sound systems are run way too loud in a mistaken idea that the louder it is, the more it will impress..
Not sure if they are set at the THX (or other) standard, or the house master has set the level to +10
I do know that I mainly play action movies here at -10, sometimes lower.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Like many Audiophiles, Theater sound systems are run way too loud in a mistaken idea that the louder it is, the more it will impress..
Not sure if they are set at the THX (or other) standard, or the house master has set the level to +10
I do know that I mainly play action movies here at -10, sometimes lower.
Name those movies set below 0dB . I know do a video of those movie on your system set below 0dB cos that is often how it was at UCI tower park, never did I see a Dolby movie set at 7 for the year I was there often 6.5 or 6 on the fader.

the hunt for red october Dolby SR was set below 7 maybe 6.5 in larger screens 5 and 6
tango & cash Doly A-type 6.5 in screen 6 then moved to screen I think smaller screen 3 and while few of us in booth, opening "okay lets do it" fader turned up to 10 for few seconds result was damaged Overhead surround that always rattled.
born on the fourth of july Dolby SR 6.5 in screen 5 then moved to smaller screen still at fader 6.5

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
THX was a theatre standard that made movie sound consistent from theatre to theatre. Mostly EQ and level. As movie sound tracks became thicker (music and sfx over dialogue ) It drove directors/producer mad when there movies played and you couldn't understand half the dialogue because of the shite sound systems. If your theatre was THX certified (they actually measured them) than it should sound close to the original mix.

THX at home is just marketing.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Name those movies set below 0dB . I
Sorry I don't understand your question or your posting?
I set most all movies I play here at -10db. On occasion a bit more or less depending on the soundtrack.

Top Bottom