• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX cinema with pro cinema audio gear

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
46436411_10156652226735149_3537171615710183424_n.jpg

Local odeon bh2 screen 10, isense dolby atmos JBL, worst dolby selected atmos cinema I have ever heard in the 32 years ago when I started projectionist for UCI cinemas and lastly with Warner Bros.

46525421_10156652226665149_2771056712617033728_n (1).jpg

It is no myth that dolby soundtracks, and cinemas have gotten not just Loud, but SHEER DEAFENING dB offensive that I have to wear earplugs and that is sign of a rubbish dolby atmos mix, rubbish sound system at the cinema and rubbish installers that fitted and rubbish sound engineer that EQ tuned it all, must have a hearing issue or has rubbish measurement equipment and faulty SPL dB meter?

odeon cinemas, policy seems to be utter rubbish. This maybe why many rather have decent JBL cinema pro at home and listen at sensible dBA peak levels. odeon starts off with a brainwashing pre-show that looks like it was made for youtube, that just loops music and some rubbish 4k image on the screen over and over again, then the ads start at shockingly LOUD dB level!

Trailers then start at Even More SHOCKINGLY dB level.
dolby labs atmos trailer then starts at SHEER DEAFENING dB level. Its then followed with two more plastered in your face and ears at Extremely Deafening dB level. Then the movie starts I mean the hard-drive video pixels with a rubbish barco or nec video projector that my camera can see the roll bars. Cinema is Dead.

32 years ago often complaint movie soundtrack too loud and often the fader is 7 , 85dB for feature and often fader at UCI tower park was set at 6.5 as chief, feared in not wanting to drive away public audience. It offered best sound over the other local cinemas that was still using A-type and SR could be occasionally played with new feature movies at UCI for lower lows and high highs with more noise reduction and used thee Experimental Overhead Surround, one of two UCI on south coast UK.

Usually feature movie fader is set to 7 with often ads at lesser fader level say 5.5 and trailers maybe 5.9 or .6.1 ? then feature is nudged up to 6.5 or some cinemas "7".

odeon bh2 is just plain obnoxious and off-putting and I doubt many in the audience have noticed the trend seams somewhat out of place at how they do the show?
One, you never stick more media ads like, sky-movies in the audiences faces right after a dolby trailer. It ruins the atmosphere for the entire movie show tenfold.

First time went to the new odeon bh2, was nov 16th 2018, for something about, 'beasts fantastic 2' ??? I sat front and centre so to Hope get a wild wide stereo L R? What a rubbish dolby atmos show that was. lightening storm during the first 5 or 7 mins of the opening was SHEER DEAFENING I had to cover my ears as I left my earplugs at home. "dolby labs atmos more life like natural sound" I think dolby labs needs a hearing check. Clearly dolby labs are DEAF! as well as the director, the producer and the re-recording mixers are stone DEAF!

46372528_10156648933710149_5311077775648489472_n.jpg

I realized at some point during I checked my phone and time, Oh blimey, I have grocery delivery in 40mins and this 'fantastic 2 beasts' had another 50 mins till it finished and I got up and left, immediately. It was a rubbish movie atmos, believe me. £16 pounds waste of money.

2nd time to screen 10, was for that rubbish bond movie. No time to Listening to it. Again it was SHEER DEAFENING! I don't really need my SPL dB meter to know its over 85dBA peak as those mid and high frequencies would easily start bending your ears with sharp dB sensitivity harshness that is just simply uncomfortable. dBC bass range is okay until it got to a certain dBC level where it would be far too much. The dBC bass range is rubbsh at this, odoen bh2, it tries so hard to be THX but doesn't come anywhere near or close to few THX cinema I been too and I have good sound memory and sound feeling of bass in many cinemas and many movies.

dolby labs atmos trailer made me swear out so loud that everyone else would hear my swearing cos my hearing had been offensively been offended! It made my friends and his son feel, lol uncomfortable.

I lost count how many times I had to put my earplugs in for nearly 3hrs! 40 times 50 times I lost count.
End of that rubbish bond show, "bond will return" made me laugh while videoing end credits and I said out loud, what as ghost, cos he just been obliterated into smithereens. bond will return as female gender like star wars mary sue. Sigh, rubbish hyped garbage trash, dumpster fire that was. Roger Moore in later Bond movies in Dolby Stereo sounded far, far better sounding and John Barry music.

3rd time and it still ain't sounding any better. disney marvel garbage dumpster fire trash presents 'eternals'

DEAFENING ads followed by lifestyle of rich and shameless obnoxious, nicole kidman "we make movies better" LMAO oh, really? Then after that SHEER DEAFENING dolby labs atmos trailer and two more media ads plastered in my face and ears!! Then an annoying voice over by some rich paid shill, chris overton, that made me stick my middle finger up at the screen and said f, cos it offended me, being a lower class of society.

odeon cinemas is really snobby cinema with tatty sound system rubbish pre-show and odeon sound policy that says for rich people, we're play it at SHEER DEAFENING dB levels for 3hrs!

The london earthquake scene in 'eternals' highly offended me! Is this it? Is this all this rubbish dolby labs atmos with JBL can do in terms of bass and tactile, not that it had any tactile. LOL , really is this all the director/producer sound editor, re-recording mixers can do? That's it I'm walking out on this, Right Now! It Only took me, 15mins to fully now realize this odeon bh2 atmos is garbage trash.Shame it uses JBL PA cinema professional what a waste of good JBL.

My (friends) colleagues believe I am wasting my time. They want me to come and see 'the matrix 4'. They surely have to be seriously kidding?
My answer was, No. Go and see it and I strongly advise you take some earplugs with you.

I will never go to this odeon bh2 dumpster trash fire cinema again, Its far too SHEER DEAFENING!! I'm sure its in violation of 85dBA peak code. Nothing clever in that when it only take certain loudness peak to cause someone with tinnitus for rest of their life. I myself already have that due to Sensurround on 'battlestar galatica' sep (1979) and ain't stopped hissing in my ears for 42 years. Earthquake seen 4 to 5 times 70 six-track Sensurround, feb '75 because it wasn't 120dB at fully non-stop for 2hrs like =, 'battlestar' was playing at that caused me hearing damage. I can still hear good from low, low lows to high highs, its the days when when my auditory gets triggered off with constant hissing for 3 or 4 days in row. I think I should sue, universal pictures?

After I walked out of disney marvel and that atmos garbage feast, I walked around went into one screen that was empty screen 6 and looked around saw the seats looked like a dog been chewing on the seat or maybe a cat had used the seats as scratching post. Typical tatty odeon cinemas.

The acoustics was bad with a bad echo slap echo pinging reverberation at the front row where they have the nice seats Only, with cat claw marks. Ekk, I won't sit in those seats if I was paid.

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Tied to this f coach. is measurable. On the JBL 2445 2380A

Best Thing is the early edition DVD it be as close to a 70mm format 42 with mono surrounds. All other things are fake stereo surrounds or boasted colours. So get The Thing region 1 2 DVD non-16:9 and just use the aspect ratio to expand the image on the oled or projector, hd-dvd blu and uhd are waste of time.
Region 2 DVD

Laserdisc NTSC Dolby Stereo MP 4.2.4

The Thing signature collection THX AC-3

One other thing, uhd dtsx.

This uhd is a shape shifting thing its dtsx garbage trash, I can only imagine dtsx pro being dumpster fire sound.

This thing goes in the Cat Litter tray. uhd 4k is Sheer garbage dumpster fire. the dtsx is Fake upmixed sounds of bed channels stuffed onto the overhead surrounds, what a scam. Yes uhd 4k is Snake Oil!

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Denon AVC-X8500H dolby labs dsu fixed? No, its still flawed compared to proper Dolby MP 4.2.4 matrix on my cinema processors.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
The more I listen to upmixer I mean Matrix that sounds suspiciously like Dolby PLIIx or z by using one of the side surround or rear surround of that PLIIx decoder only now stuffed up onto use for overhead surrounds for stuffing it on top of discrete atmos native mixes providing its a proper stem track mix and not some garbage trash mixers version of total recall 1990 with fake atmos and fake grain noise on uhd 4k.

dolby surround (upmixer) is a snake oil.
dtsx (upmixer) is a snake oil.
auro3d (upmixer) is a snake oil.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
'Star Wars' with proper DOLBY STEREO® CP200 here in Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system, JBL cinema with proper surround array placement for that proper hass-effect, that not even my Denon 8500 can do with dsu.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Dolby loudness Leq 737. simple to install yet I have to get the rack space and which or what cables I want to connect for a 6 channel. It was cheap yet I think TrueRTA with my THX monitor or some other channel modification would do give the same dB loudness. But it was cheap. I think it was designed around late 1990's 98?

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
My own multiplex microphone placement

THX mic placememt.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
BeamZ smoke fog machine. adds a 4th dimension to the movie.
filled the canister up last year, with the juice and not empty yet as done well and two 5 liter bottles left.

272206355_10159638966135149_2769687616745235159_n.jpg

272189476_10159638966325149_6220625962399303632_n.jpg

272196107_10159638966455149_1712159861479847051_n.jpg

gives good effect Titanic dts laserdisc in Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system at 38.000kw

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
'star wars' with smoke fog machine added brilliance with 4k laser projector with light beams that not been seen in cinemas since since early 1980's.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
'Alien'. in space no one can see fog
20th anniversary edition way better dvd it displays mote scope frame width.

272116218_10159635852915149_5149798995136368857_n.jpg

246357838_10159468379600149_2970341050466918835_n.jpg

246376156_10159468379800149_4008291737342262471_n.jpg

the fog machine added greater depth to 'Alien' near last 20 mins with fog smoke being used in the film.

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
strange frequency distortion between 4Khz and 8KHz a sort of 'jagged edge' no not the movie. i let the video show and i get to the bottom of it, not that i see it as major priority concern.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
dvd1.jpg

Pink Floyd 'The Wall' (1982) Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system
six-track Dolby Stereo split surround baby boom
region 2 dvd pressing looks okay in scope 2.35:1
The Wall directed by Alan Parker was the sixth 70mm magnetic with split surrounds and only few handful was produced since 1978 to 1996
Dolby six track with split surrounds is surprisingly effective for 1982.

dvd3.jpg

wall.jpg

rehearsal on the oled before using the laser projector for guests that came around to watch 'the wall'.

dvd5.jpg

my friend guests found 'the wall' low end to be a bit intrusive on the typical pop rock bass guitar and drums that beat in a certain frequency range and yet the lowest in whole movie was the train passing though the tunnel at the start of another "brick in the wall". my friends lady guests enjoyed it and found it to be massaging feeling the low frequencies over their bodies.

train passes though tunnel with low end rumbled down to 15Hz then followed by short bass kicks for "another brick in the wall".
wall1.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
added other aura bass shakers to the back row seats, removed the three other bass shakers that I also used on the floor.
drilled mounting holes wider with metal drill bit and drilled the metal seat buckets and mounted the, aura bass shakers with screw and nut for tight fit.
they sure shake the whole seats as the cinema seats are attached and vibrate well through 250Hz down to 10Hz

aura1.jpg

aura2.jpg

aura3.jpg

aura4.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
amazes me amount of bass i get out of these JBL 8330 mkII THX.

272157588_10159637402175149_4402821750394627261_n.jpg
272148959_10159637402270149_3458054507989107326_n.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
auto-eq manual-eq in fact it is a lot more besides that if, one wants to basically listen to a movie and most home cinema/theatres don't have the necessary equipment or experience and is going to find some selection of movies rather difficultly sounding. i may share the technique procedure later on.
273823935_10159678182625149_1548886810573943591_n.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
rare Dolby Stereo Cat meow 160 sw special sub bass card brand new sealed, wow 1980 sealed all those decades wow , should make CP200 sound great again, meow, meow

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
THX / TAP titles in my collection will be slowly going though them again with close attention to detail frequency sound channel listening
logo_sub_swipe.gif
end_cred_lg.gif

2010 - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo - this needs special EQ channel adjustment to listen to the details that i have tested many times and found EQ adjustment that works at optimum best. details on the EQ settings i release at later time. you can eq all the speakers, its the secondary EQ that matters for final playback. (DVD first pressing only) the bluray disc is garbage trash remix that doesn't apply.

A FEW GOOD MEN Dolby 5.1
THE ABYSS six-track Dolby Stereo
AIR FORCE ONE Dolby 5.1
ALADDIN six-track Dolby Stereo
ALIEN 3 six-track Dolby Stereo
ALIEN RESURRECTION Dolby 5.1
ALIVE Dolby 5.1
ALWAYS six-track Dolby Stereo
AMERICAN BEAUTY six-track Dolby Stereo
ANTZ Dolby 5.1
APOLLO 13 Laserdisc dts -DVD Dolby 5.1 - HD-DVD Dolby 5.1 - bluray dts - uhd dtsx
ARACHNOPHOBIA Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
ARMAGEDDON DVD Dolby 5.1
BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
BACK TO THE FUTURE PART III DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
BACKDRAFT DVD six-track Dolby Stereo - HD-DVD - bluray
BATMAN DVD bluray six-track Dolby Stereo
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
BLOWN AWAY DVD Dolby 5.1
BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY Laserdisc six-track dts - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo HD-DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
BREAKDOWN DVD Dolby 5.1
BROKEN ARROW Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 - DVD Dolby 5.1
CASPER Laserdisc dts - DVD Dolby 5.1
CAST AWAY DVD Dolby 5.1
CHAIN REACTION Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
CLIFFHANGER DVD six-track Dolby Stereo bluray uhd
COCOON DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
COCOON: THE RETURN VHS Dolby Stereo
CON AIR Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 DVD
CONGO Laserdisc DVD Dolby 5.1
COPYCAT DVD 5.1
CRIMSON TIDE Laserdisc DVD bluray Dolby 5.1 , linear PCM 5.1
DANTE'S PEAK Laserdisc DVD HD-DVD bluray Dolby 5.1
DAYLIGHT Laserdisc dts - DVD bluary Dolby 5.1
DEATH BECOMES HER Laserdisc DVD Dolby Stereo
DEEP IMPACT Laserdisc DVD Dolby 5.1
DICK TRACY DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
DIE HARD Laserdisc six-track Dolby
DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCEDIE
HARD 2: DIE HARDER Laserdisc six-track Dolby Stereo DVD
DRAGONHEART DVD HD-DVD Dolby 5.1
E.T. (RERELEASE) Laserdisc Dolby Stereo DVD (not original mix)
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS DVD 4.1
EMPIRE OF THE SUN DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK SPECIAL EDITION Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
ENEMY OF THE STATE DVD Dolby 5.1
ENTRAPMENT DVD Dolby 5.1
EVITA Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
FAR AND AWAY Laserdisc Dolby Stereo DVD six-track
FIGHT CLUB DVD Dolby 5.1
THE FLY II DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
FULL METAL JACKET HD-DVD Dolby 5.1 (no longer plays as a warner bros format disc)
THE GAME DVD Dolby 5.1
GLADIATOR DVD bluray Dolby 5.1 , dts
GLORY Laserdisc Dolby Stereo DVD bluray4k six-track Dolby Stereo
GODZILLA DVD Dolby 5.1
THE GOONIES DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
GREAT EXPECTATIONS Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
GREMLINS DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
GREMLINS 2 DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
THE HAUNTING DVD 5.1 EX
HEAT Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 DVD (bluray is rubbish)
HOOK DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
HOWARD THE DUCK steam six-track Dolby Stereo (no way am i playing this rubbish movie again)
INDEPENDENCE DAY Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 DVD bluray
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
INNERSPACE DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
THE INSIDER DVD Dolby 5.1
JUDGE DREDD Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
JUMANJI Laserdisc Dolby Stereo
JURASSIC PARK Laserdisc dts DVD Dolby 5.1
JURASSIC PARK THE LOST WORLD Laserdisc dts - DVD Dolby 5.1
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL DVD Dolby 5.1
LABYRINTH DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS Laserdisc six-track Dolby Stereo - DVD
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (RERELEASE) Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
LETHAL WEAPON 2 DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
LETHAL WEAPON 3 DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
LEVIATHAN DVD Dolby Stereo
THE MASK OF ZORRO DVD Dolby 5.1
MEET THE PARENTS HD-DVD Dolby 5.1
MEMPHIS BELLE DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
MEN IN BLACK Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 - DVD
MISSION TO MARS DVD Dolby 5.1 EX
THE MONEY PIT DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
MY FAIR LADY (RERELEASE) DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
OUT OF AFRICA DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
THE PEACEMAKER DVD Dolby 5.1
THE PRESIDIO bluray six-track Dolby Stereo
RANSOM Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
RETURN OF THE JEDI Laserdisc Dolby Stereo
RETURN OF THE JEDI (RERELEASE) Laserdisc Dolby Stereo
RETURN OF THE JEDI SPECIAL EDITION Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
RISING SUN Laserdisc Dolby Stereo
THE ROCK DVD Dolby 5.1
THE ROCKETEER Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN DVD Dolby 5.1
SCHINDLER'S LIST DVD Dolby 5.1
SEVEN Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 - DVD
THE SIXTH SENSE DVD Dolby 5.1
SPARTACUS (RERELEASE) DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
SPEED Laserdisc Dolby 5.0 DVD Dolby 5.1
SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
STAR TREK III Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
STAR TREK IV Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
STAR TREK V Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
STAR WARS SPECIAL EDITION Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
STAR WARS: EPISODE I LaserdiscDolby 5.1
STARSHIP TROOPERS Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 - DVD bluray Dolby 5.1
STRANGE DAYS Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 -DVD
STUART LITTLE DVD Dolby 5.1
TERMINAL VELOCITY Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - DVD Dolby 5.1
TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo theatrical mix
TITANIC Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 - dts - DVD Dolby 5.1 - bluray dts
TOP GUN Laserdisc six-track Dolby Stereo - DVD six-track Dolby Stereo - (bluray rubbish disc format dreadful transfer)
TOTAL RECALL Laserdisc Dolby Stereo - (DVD dreadful transfer missing HF on MS track, bluray rubbish and 4k garbage trash)
TOY STORY Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
TRUE LIES Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 (DVD is rubbish)
TWISTER Laserdisc Dolby 5.1 - DVD
U2 RATTLE AND HUM DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
THE UNTOUCHABLES DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
VOLCANO Lasedisc Dolby 5.1 (dreadful rubbish movie)
WATERWORLD Laserdisc dts - DVD Dolby 5.1 - bluray dts
WHAT LIES BENEATH DVD Dolby 5.1
WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S ROMEO AND JULIET Laserdisc Dolby 5.1
WILLOW Laserdisc Dolby Stereo -DVD six-track Dolby Stereo (bluray dts is garbage trash dreadful rubbish transfer)
THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK DVD six-track Dolby Stereo
WOLF Laserdisc Dolby Stereo
THE X-FILES Laserdisc dts - DVD Dolby 5.1 - bluray dts
X-MEN DVD Dolby 5.1 - bluray dts

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i can always trust a decent Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 here in Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system that plays the best here. the overhead sound as the trolley passes over camera and then the henchman crashing into the british airways billboard sign and how in the world did he end up 8 feet up stuck in her, mouth lol guess the trolley hit a kerb and he went flying lol

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
harman kardon avp1a
it has 11 matrix channel outputs and that was early 90's.
it lacks PCM optical input would been useful even if it doesn't support at time, dolby ac-3 or years later dts that requires optical input.
it has auto Dolby balance control that looks at the Lt Rt signal for miss-balance and automatically corrects it or user can use manual balance controls.
too bad most newer pc like avr avp only support 8 channel inputs and the avp1a has 12 outputs but the centre duel output is only the same signal.
1604674_10152164137735149_488651128_n.jpg
1511134_10152164137775149_1214152055_n.jpg
1525249_10152164137900149_1928726222_n.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
first processor brought 1990 Yamaha DSR70Pro Dolby Pro-Logic. i then got 2nd one cheap few years ago as it looked cool sounded cool and still is cool that if recall used a decent pro logic chip.

12057_10151790143715149_838604694_n.jpg
1005786_10151790143805149_2042121797_n.jpg

Top Bottom