• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX cinema with pro cinema audio gear

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Bear then yawns mighty mouth for such small snowshoe .

bear1.jpg
bear2.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
a test wanted to do for year so now . for first time ever . CB radio connected to (super star 360FM) connected to THX sound system , amp return . oh , just like any other audio . and u used tv coaxial cable for long length speaker cable , tv coaxial lol and yes it was measurable . it showed a typical narrow band range just enough for voice modulation .

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
a test wanted to do for year so now . for first time ever . CB radio connected to (super star 360FM) connected to THX sound system , amp return . oh , just like any other audio . and u used tv coaxial cable for long length speaker cable , tv coaxial lol and yes it was measurable . it showed a typical narrow band range just enough for voice modulation .

Nice Cobra radios. I remember a guy I got a ride with was using his Cobra CB radio with dual antennas in his car and he was skipping off the ionosphere all the way to Tennessee from South British Columbia. That's ~2500km as the crow flies. It was very interesting. He said it was a rare situation and he was very pleased as well.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Nice Cobra radios. I remember a guy I got a ride with was using his Cobra CB radio with dual antennas in his car and he was skipping off the ionosphere all the way to Tennessee from South British Columbia. That's ~2500km as the crow flies. It was very interesting. He said it was a rare situation and he was very pleased as well.
signal goes around the world at light speed 7 seven times in 1 second . and you hear the sound at the speed of sound . ain't it great .

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
arrived yesterday and i spent few hours listening to it .

Terminator 2 1991 Laserdisc Japan subtitles
AC-3 / THX

at £35 uk, this was the cheapest i seen where other same pressings insane usa $200 $400 .

this is CDS Cinema Digital Sound mix version along with ultimate DVD region 1 DVD . other DVD and blu uhd have the Gary Rdystom re-vision re-mix with loud echo sounds , differences in the stereo-surrounds and many other differences .

picture was Laserdisc quailty good not SD DVD or blu uhd tech specs even thou some uhd are dreadful mastering transfers . if the players tech specs are good then no reason for studios to botch the transfer only they like to milking it for the cash cow , so they can make up lots of lies and say tech fault and they do the same BS all over again to scam collectors into thinking they are getting pristine transfers ? so the Laserdisc does have this issue with colouest not paying attention and blues and whites common in the movie end up "mostly" turning into third colour of blue white and cyan green that looks awful . it's like mixing two water colours together and it creates a third colour or in case of actual film there be only two colours but if scanning telecine and then messing with the computers colours can mix it into third colour that shouldn't even be . most typical video cameras smart phones may have this issue if looking at white light bulb with a blue filter and Bam ! it sees three colours where our eyes only register two colours .

sound was good it was very dynamic yet i kept the Denon AVC-X8500H (dynamic range compressor On) not something can do for dts as dts doesn't have DRC or what would be welcomed audio compressor like one of Yamaha AVR i have that does it all . still i can use outboard compressors , just getting fed up with extremely loud movies then soft dynamics or scenes so faint ? the DRC will raise the lower softer dynamic range up several dB so it is just more comfortable listening with DCR switched On "High" .

i've not done a spectrum lab frequency waterfall of all the versions i have , that may come during the weekend as it takes hours of checking and if i did a all in picture video to edit and sound sync would take me maybe whole day so i see what i can do ? waterfalls would show which transfer has the better frequency dynamic range .

289322631_10159907421825149_4636243277566709750_n.jpg
289340898_10159907421880149_5092001334101508326_n.jpg
289264220_10159907422090149_8875096156970660277_n.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
LFE.1 baby boom differences which easily stands out thou most home theatres wound't notice as they have bass management switched on with tiny small speakers .
to listen make sure using headphones or home cinema speakers as smart phone speakers don't go low down , even my chromebook 1" can't reproduce it .

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
picked up yesterday and installed it today just when The Peacemaker 1997 arrived this morning .
no remote (but have clone remote on the way)
120v using a step down transformer to step the 240v to 120v .

JVC HM-DH30000U
D VHS D theatre / region 1 / NTSC US import/Germany
a HD 1080i format released 1998 while Laserdisc was just few years from retirement and just when DVD had been introduced 1995 and released in 1996 and few years before HD-DVD and bluray format war . or could D VHS been format war with hi vision Laserdisc ?

D1.jpg

D2.jpg

the player has video input/output . HD RGB rac outputs 1080i and single optical toslink output (no HDMI) rca L R audio output and inputs .

D4.jpg

wow this machine really performs well with HD 1080i , almost as better than HD-DVD bluray ? but still the content would be down to how well the transfer is ?
first title brand new The Peacemaker 1997 that i also have on region 2 DVD and will compare later on .
the dynamic of the colours stood out very well . the format could have flaws with digital pixel if head drum needs cleaning/repair replacement ? or damaged tape . the storage can be from 25GB to 50GB depending tape label . max recording for audio 40 hrs .

D5.jpg
D6.jpg

D7.jpg

no chapter stops that i think comes with the D theatre titles .

rewind after 2 hr movie is rather faster than my JVC HR-D725EK .

pause still freeze frame is impressively stable and still .

D8.jpg

visual search is sort of so many seconds or so step by step rather than the typical VHS Beta players .
from reading wiki , the movie is stored digitally sort like a bulking hard-drive , this doesn't bother me . i rather impressed and it only has less than 100 titles before the format was phased out and HD-DVD bluray fighting over which is better doesn't mean the content is ever going to be better but more fighting over specifications than actual content .

D9.jpg

D10.jpg

D11.jpg

Dolby digital 576Kbps higher than DVD 448Kbps .
Sound was dynamic with kick slam and depth . as for actual content frequency response range for "The Peacemaker" D theatre , i have to check that out later with RTA and spectrum lab . it didn't lack in away that i found distracting .

D theatre D VHS titles
(Got) (may buy) (not interested)
with not interested in so many film titles and most or some are not listed for sale makes this format the odd HD format and not many studio titles back it during it's release .

1. 2 Fast 2 Furious (not interested)
2. 21 Grams (not interested)
3. About a Boy (not interested)
4. Alien: Director's Cut (not interested)
5. American Pie (not interested)
6. American Pie 2 (not interested)
7. Backdraft (brought)
8. Behind Enemy Lines (may buy)
9. Being John Malkovich (not interested)
10. Big Momma's House (not interested)
11. Biker Boyz (not interested)
12. Bone Collector, The (not interested)
13. Bourne Identity, The (not interested)
14. Brotherhood of the Wolf (not interested)
15. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (not interested)
16. Cape Fear (brought)
17. Cast Away (may buy)
18. Contender, The (not interested)
19. Courage Under Fire (may buy)
20. Daredevil (not interested)
21. Day After Tomorrow, The (may buy)
22. Die Hard (may buy)
23. Don't Say A Word (not interested)
24. Dr. T and the Women (not interested)
25. Emperor's Club, The (not interested)
26. End of Days (may buy)
27. Entrapment (may buy)
28. Evolution (not interested)
29. Family Man, The (not interested)
30. Fast and The Furious, The (not interested)
31. Fight Club (not interested)
32. First Blood (not interested)
33. Forces of Nature (not interested)
34. From Hell (not interested)
35. Galaxy Quest (not interested)
36. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (not interested)
37. Glengarry Glen Ross (not interested)
38. Gosford Park (not interested)
39. Haunting, The (may buy)
40. High Crimes (not interested)
41. Hurricane, The (not interested)
42. I, Robot (may buy just as long it doesn't Slap !)
43. Ice Age (not interested)
44. Independence Day (may buy but if it slaps it goes in the cat litter)
45. K-Pax (not interested)
46. Kiss Of The Dragon (not interested)
47. Last Castle, The (not interested)
48. League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The (not interested)
49. Life of David Gale, The (not interested)
50. Limey, The (not interested)
51. Lost in Translation (not interested)
52. Love Actually (not interested)
53. Man on Fire (not interested)
54. Master And Commander (may buy)
55. Meet Joe Black (not interested)
56. Meet the Parents (not interested)
57. Men Of Honor (not interested)
58. Moulin Rouge (not interested)
59. Mulholland Drive (not interested)
60. Mummy, The (may buy)
61. Mummy Returns, The (not interested)
62. National Lampoon's Van Wilder (not interested)
63. Ninth Gate, The (not interested)
64. Notting Hill (not interested)
65. Novocaine (not interested)
66. One From the Heart (not interested)
67. Out of Sight (not interested)
68. Passion of The Christ, The (not interested)
69. Peacemaker, The (Got)
70. Phone Booth (may buy)
71. Planet Of The Apes (may buy)
72. Red Dragon (not interested)
73. Ring, The (not interested)
74. Runaway Jury (not interested)
75. Rundown, The (not interested)
76. Scorpion King, The (not interested)
77. Snow Falling on Cedars (not interested)
78. Speed (not interested)
79. Spy Game (not interested)
80. Standing in the Shadows of Motown (not interested)
81. Stir of Echoes (not interested)
82. Terminator 2 (not interested or maybe of cheaper)
83. There's Something About Mary (not interested)
84. Time Machine, The (not interested)
85. Transporter, The (not interested)
86. True Lies (may buy)
87. Truth About Charlie, The (not interested)
88. U-571 (may buy)
89. Unfaithful (not interested)
90. X-Men (may buy)
91. X2: X-Men United (may buy)

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
behringer ecm8000 aimed at air conditioner 4 feet interesting frequency
acooling.jpg

direct pink noise monitored on THX processor mode
directpn.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
frequency sweep as highest as the system or B chain will allow ?
so where is the high pass filters placed ? could it be the Denon AVC-X8500H ? could it even be the pc computer ? could it be the Sony D3000 ? could it be the behringer DCX 2496 or DEQ 2496 ? or could it be the behringer EPQ304 or maybe it could be the THX 3417 ? as the sweep was though processor mode on the THX 3417 to the pc computer . so there is a steep high pass filter on or around 20.000KHz ? i can see it still continuing to where the sweeps finish at on overlay graphs .

i did the sweeps up each one at time up 44.100KHz (sample rate 88.2KHz) that realistically is designed for my cats hearing and they were disappointed .
10359084_10152500113110149_6673800463507018251_o.jpg

sweephighest.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i tried again with few low pass filters to lower the rest of frequency sweep down and band pass narrow q bandwidth at 20KHz still pointless and futile and my Sooty is still hissing . i the HF horns range is only 20.000KHz doesn't mean they could still do 21KHz faintly ? but i wouldn't hear it ? if still our hearing slopes off . we may watch the frequency on a RTA but we can't hear it . end of .
10359084_10152500113110149_6673800463507018251_o.jpg

sweepcat.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
okay sweep to 95.000KHz not really sure what i'm looking at and the sweep sort of made my skin crawl as i never done a sweep this high before .

sweep95.jpg

a relaxed Sooty . i heard better than this .
10333467_10152420734350149_1240620841541951148_o.jpg

amp return . pointlessly futile and it's -50dB down from 20.000KHz
amprt.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
direct pc computer output to input via 3.5mm jacks . surely i should see 30,000KHz , it still rolling off at 20,000KHz .

sweeploop.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor

staticV3

Master Contributor
no , i'm just using "Java" ( that is checked in the square box)
That might be what's limiting your bandwidth.
Here's a loopback measurement of my motherboard's onboard audio (Line out->Line in):
MSI Z170A Krait 3X (ALC1150) Loopback measurment at 192kHz.png
To unlock the Codec's native ASIO interface, I had to install the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver from MSI's website.
Here's how REW is set up:
Screenshot 2022-07-11 231432.png Screenshot 2022-07-11 231501.png

Edit: for those interested, output voltage was 1.22Vrms, SINAD via Loopback was 83dB, via Cosmos APU+ADC it was 86dB.

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
That might be what's limiting your bandwidth.
Here's a loopback measurement of my motherboard's onboard audio (Line out->Line in):
View attachment 217848
To unlock the Codec's native ASIO interface, I had to install the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver from MSI's website.
Here's how REW is set up:
View attachment 217849 View attachment 217850

Edit: for those interested, output voltage was 1.22Vrms, SINAD via Loopback was 83dB, via Cosmos APU+ADC it was 86dB.
i give it a try late in the day . but that is more less how it should be . , thou i did loop the leads from pc last night with it still rolling off at 24KHz . i give it another go later . thanks for doing that .

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
arrived today

Cape Fear 1991
D theatre D VHS / Dolby digital / THX sound system

HD1080i looks very stylishly photographically good compared to the region 2 DVD .
Dolby digital remix as film was released as Dolby Stereo SR , has clear dialogue intelligibility some sound effects have neutral ambiance while suddenly some sound effects have dynamic loudness .
it's more less how i recall how it sounded in Dolby SR THX at the Empire Leicester Square .

cf1.jpg

cf2.jpg

cf3.jpg
cf4.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
overhead , side to side and below surround

oversidebelowsurround.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
it's warm weather and most may not even have air conditioner some may the windows open which won't change it much indoors as one can go to shop and notice how cooler indoors it is and when stepping back outdoors notice the warmer or hot weather air . most may only have a fan which takes fraction of the warm air down but merely only moves the warm air around . air conditioner adds cool fridge air within seconds . i have to bare with noisy motor/fan system around 60dB when measured with realistic SPL meter , when taking measurement readings around the ac system (not aimed at the air flow which is same as blowing wind into the microphone) . the room is quiet with ac system off but not with it on .

i used NC noise criteria while watching "the spy who loved me" see how much of the soundtrack level and how much of it can hear ? above the constant noise of the ac system .

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
early morning hours manual EQ screen channels (none of that autoEQ) i use .

EQ1.jpg

EQ2.jpg

using an adapter threaded onto the microphone boom , for two microphones so i can get double pink noise to EQ resolution on the RTA that makes a difference like two pairs of RTA-ears receiving . i move the microphone boom around so i can see what the pink noise looks and sounds like and filter down extra bands that peaks that sound honky or too much ShhHHHH on top higher end when should "shhhhhhhhh" smooth . takes hours , not 20 mins with autoEQ where it may not be good and as to be done again ? manual EQ for better results . few prefixed 1/3 oct and few or more parametric PEQ used for best possible results .

EQ3.jpg

diet pepsi with slice of lemon , refreshing in this presently warm weather .

EQ4.jpg

Top Bottom