• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this topic yet. This thread discusses thrift store finds or other places you found electronic goodness, in the past and present.

Recently I found something good at my local DAV thrift store while hanging out with my father. Usually they have just 4:3 flat monitors, late 2000s printers and modernish network routers. I found a 4k blu-ray player. For those that are curious it was a LG UP875. It read "as is" (Usually they mark it as "works" if it does work), which wasn't a good thing. I grab a kenny rogers CD and I was going to plug into the wall but they covered all the outlets with flat faceplates, It was either leave it there or pay for it and see if it works. I went to the casher and I asked if they can plug it in and they said no, because all electronics get "tested". I bought the CD and player (for $16 total), as we were walking out, my father noticed there was an open outlet on the outside of the building. I plugged it, the light came on and popped in the CD, it sounded like it was reading the CD fine. Once I came home, I plugged it into the living TV. It displayed, no flicker or anything. I popped in the CD again, played it fine and the sound worked. My father suggested that I should sell it and make a profit. The problem is if my sony udp-x800 was actually good, I would sell that LG in a heartbeat. So that's the end of this story.

Here's the picture of the player (Ironically the picture is over 4k but looks like it shot on a samsung note 2):
20211114_224208compress.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
About 18 years ago I purchased a Luxman L-81 from a thrift store for CDN $35.00 What a score! I squirted some control cleaner in to loosen the controls and switches and voila a nice unit.
c272-DSC_7383-0-1-1200x800.JPG

Do you know something, one of the very first amplifiers I repaired when I was a teenager was a Lux L-81! I still have the receipt for the parts I had to order.

We (I gave it my father) still have it, and I bought another mint L-81 back in about 2003/4. Great classic Lux amplifier. There's an L-85V here that I really should get to...

Top Bottom