• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Three questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 21219
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21219

Good evening.
1) I'm interested in 3 channels of amplification, 50 or more WPC, with an input impedance of 100K ohms.
2) I'd like to pay no more than 2,000 USD for the three.
3) I'm looking for something with a reputation for long-term reliability. I value reliability quite a bit.

If you have any information about these characteristics, I would appreciate your opinions. Thank you. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have heard no complaints about reliability or longevity issues with ICEPower and Hypex or Purifi modules, although I believe that using them with filtered, surge-protected, voltage regulated power is prudent. However, they are newer technologies and don't have 20 years of history to determine longevity. But they are modular - and easily repaired.

Because I am capable of assembling a kit and soldering, I bought two Ghent cases - one stereo and one mono (Ghent doesn't offer 3-channel cases for DIY.) My amplifier modules are ICEPower 200ASC stereo and a 200AC, purchased from Parts Express. This gives me 100w@8Ω or 200w@4Ω. Even if you have to hire a local tech to assemble them, I believe that this is an excellent, low cost option.

Of course, if you go with three mono amps, there are many more choices. Below are some options for three-channel amps - all well below the cost of cultish extreme audiophile amplifiers.

Three-channel amplifiers were more common in the early days of multichannel audio for movies, but have pretty much faded from the market But if you buy used, there are some excellent big, heavy three-channel class-AB used amps that come up at US Audio Mart, Audiogon, and other online markets.

The best high-quality, reasonable priced 3-channel amplifier that I am aware of is the VTV [LINK] with the 227/425wpc Purify 1ET400A modules, and XLR inputs. $1,400 with stock Hypex buffer and up to $2,300 with custom buffers. This is a 19"w x 20" deep amplifier that weighs 32 pounds and is assembled in - and shipped from - the U.S. If you want to go RCA, good quality XLR to RCA interconnects are not expensive.

VTV 3-Channel Back.jpg

VTV also offers a Pascal 3-channel amp, but I know nothing about the Pascal modules. It is 250wpc and much smaller and lighter at 8"w x 11" deep and 8.7 pounds.

Based on Amir's recent Apollon amplifier review and tear-down that revealed superb build quality and excellent performance, I feel confident that an Apollon 3-channel amplifier might be the best one available. [LINK] One uses the same Purify 1ET400A modules as the VTV, and the other the more powerful Hypex NC500 modules. They don't have a low-cost version with the stock Hypex input buffers. Price is $2,790 and $2,490 Euros, they are well above the OP's budget. I would consider these amplifiers if my budget were more generous.

Nord Acoustics (UK) has several multichannel amps available [LINK], but the 3-channel versions are four-channel cases with one slot empty. I know nothing about the company and its products.

Regarding amplifier reliability, I have had 2 Topping PA3 "mystery board" mini-amplifiers die on me in less than a year for no apparent reason, and a complex single-board TEAC AH01 DAC/Amp die after a lightning strike hit the power pole outside my house that destroyed my $200 Tripplite UPS - and even one-half of my incoming house mains power. This is why I now find amplifiers with ICEPower, Hypex and other readily available modules to be attractive, especially for those of us on tighter budgets.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
VTV also offers a Pascal 3-channel amp, but I know nothing about the Pascal modules. It is 250wpc and much smaller and lighter at 8"w x 11" deep and 8.7 pounds.

They are not in the same league as Hypex or Purifi, but perform well enough that there is unlikely to be an audible difference IMO.

You can find the datasheets here. All their modules measure pretty similarly within their operational limits.

The S-Pro is the most commonly used one and is 250W/8Ohm, so I presume it's the one used here. Here are its basic measurements (from the datasheet):

1603474428252.png

Can't really comment on reliability. They are widely used in commercial designs (e.g. Dutch 8C).

Top Bottom