• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Three missing audio features in all of Todays Immersive audio AV processors/receivers

Vacceo

Major Contributor
No, that would be my tolerance for rears and sides. My preference would be another octave deeper.
Following your advice on setting a multichannel system would lead to something quite expensive. Not that I´m complaining, performance when we deal with speakers is not cheap.

With that in mind, if I asked you what you´d go for between Perlisten and KEF, I´d predict your choice would lean to the first due to frequency response. However, I´m sure the answer could be more complex as there are more factors than just frequency response.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Since some brought up using 5 or more speakers in the bed channel with extended low end, it would be beneficial if there were more options for LFE/Bass managament.
Right now, you can opt for NO SUB option, but then LFE channel and bass managament is using only front two speakers. It would be great if all 5 or 7 or 9 bed channel speakers were used as subs. Of course, they would all need separate amps...

Jbrunwa

The thing that bugs me most about AVR’s is the lack of 2 channel digital outputs (optical for example) independent of which digital input is selected.

TV’s do that, why not AVR’s?
I’ve not used it but my Arcam AV40 has an optical out that outputs 2channel or multichannel PCM.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does a .3 rear Sub option with LFE and DSP to integrate it exist in any AVR?

Jbrunwa

Does a .3 rear Sub option with LFE and DSP to integrate it exist in any AVR?
Arcam AV40/AV41 has up to 4 assignable sub channels as long as you don’t exceed combined total of 16 channels with your other speakers. Dirac multi sub DLBC is an optional add-on with Arcam, and included standard with the JBL SDP-55/SDP-58

apgood

Since some brought up using 5 or more speakers in the bed channel with extended low end, it would be beneficial if there were more options for LFE/Bass managament.
Right now, you can opt for NO SUB option, but then LFE channel and bass managament is using only front two speakers. It would be great if all 5 or 7 or 9 bed channel speakers were used as subs. Of course, they would all need separate amps...
That is where the more expensive processors like StormAudio and Trinnov come in.

With StormAudio for example their bass management system allows and speaker to receive sub or sub & LFE content, or you can create sub zones where certain speaker locations are directed to a specific sub. This last option is especially useful if you have surround or overhead speakers that can't dig as deep as you can co-locate a sub nearby to reduce localisation. You don't even need to make them big subs as you can direct the LFE content to a more capable sub (100% not sure if you can direct frequencies below a certain range to another set of subs would need to check).

You could also stack smaller subs with bookshelf speakers and use electronic crossovers to create speaker that go lower and look like a single 3 way speaker that you can then further bassmanage and utilise per the range of above bass management functionality.

The above is one of the ways these expensive processors justify their price tag which is often overlooked by the average person. Of course if you don't need this stuff then you can go with a cheaper processor.

Top Bottom