• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Three channel amps

stevefl

Does anybody have any experience with three channel amps, AKA Home theater amps by some manufacturers?

A quick google search turns up
Emotiva XPA-3
Anthem MCA 325
Monolith 3x200
Parasound Halo A31

Of course, none of these has any measurements on their websites. I’ve been searching the database but to the best of my ability it doesn’t look like Amir has reviewed these, or any others. Maybe somebody knows if I missed some?

I’ve always been a skeptic of subjective reviews and seeing the number of very expensive bits of kit that suck I’m reluctant to buy without seeing some measurements.

Anyway even if no one has any info, just sayin’ Hi. I’m a new member and this is my first post. I hope I didn’t screw it up.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Below a list with many brands, so that you can get a ballpark where their amplifiers are in terms of SINAD.

In my opinion, get a 4 channel NC502MP based Buckeye amp and you are done.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Does anybody have any experience with three channel amps, AKA Home theater amps by some manufacturers?

I have an older Krell KAV 250a/3 that has been happily doing its job for many years.

I used it for the front LCR speakers until I got powered monitors, so now it is on subwoofer duty.

I don't know what I'd look into if I needed another one...probably Buckeye, but I might just get another old Krell.

Shanman

Forum Donor
I own the 3 channel Monolith, zero complaints. Has been running a pair of Snell towers for almost a year now without any issues whatsoever. Made by ATI.
You could also run 3 monoblocks like the Outlaw 2220s. Those have been reviewed here and did well.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Most if not all multichannel amplifiers use the same modules/circuits for each channel. Fewer channels may stress the power supply and cooling capacity less, providing a hair more output, and potentially lower crosstalk, but otherwise specs should be similar for things like THD and SNR. I'd also expect build quality and "look and feel" to be similar among different amps in a product line, so if I saw a 5- or 7-channel amp that looks good, I'd have no problem purchasing the 3-channel version.

FWIWFM - Don

rubley00

djtetei

Alternatively, you can use an audio video receiver / audio video processor with multichannel line level pre-outputs connected to 2-3 amplifiers with passive speakers or to 3 active speakers.

OP
S

stevefl

Audiophonics does a 3 channel Purifi amp.

I was looking for that because of how well the stereo measured. Thanks.

OP
S

stevefl

Below a list with many brands, so that you can get a ballpark where their amplifiers are in terms of SINAD.

In my opinion, get a 4 channel NC502MP based Buckeye amp and you are done.

I went to their site and they also make a three channel amp.

DonR

Major Contributor
As an alternative, I run a pair of Samson Servo amps, A Servo 600 for the LR and a Servo 300 in bridged mode for the center. If you find a decent stereo amp that runs bridged and measures well you can buy 2 and have 3 channels.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I expect Emo to be a tad overrated, would go with Monolith if i had to choose even if it is on the expensive side.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you in the US? If so I'd consider a 3 channel Purifi from Buckeye Amps.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would I do that?
Because you requested a test, the testing here is largely driven by folk who buy a piece of gear and send it in to Amir for measurement.....some manufacturers have offered up directly but not in great numbers (nor do I think Emotiva has volunteered but not keeping track particularly, just haven't seen any evidence of such). So...if you really want to see a test on this particular amp, that's the best way to go.

Top Bottom