• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thread dedicated to the Topping A50S

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since the L30 is pretty much finalized and we already know how it measures, I guess it is time to start a new hype.

The A50S will be middle of the line amp that uses the same ultra-clean technology developed for the A90.

It will be above the L30 by featuring a 4.4mm balanced out, but the inputs are single-ended rca only.

It will solve issues of the previous A50: high outuput impedance and a bit of a messy front panel that features 6.3 and 3.5 for SE and 2.5 for Bal. The S model streamlines the outputs to a 6.3 SE and 4.4 Bal.

@JohnYang1997 feel free to correct any mistake, and even more so to give us new info. :D

TheDubah

Are we expecting the power output to stay the same as the A50?

OP
H

Human Bass

Are we expecting the power output to stay the same as the A50?
I suppose it will be a bit more than 3 watts at 32ohm balanced, around 2w SE. The current A50 is listed at 2.2w at 64ohm balanced.

But who can really answer this properly is mister @JohnYang1997

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The beyer cant use balanced cable, so you are better with the L30.

Good point. I noticed that Massdrop are adding a 4 pin mini-XLR balanced connection to their DT 177x Go version... https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-beyerdynamic-dt177x-go-headphones/

My HD660s came with a balanced cable with a Pentacon plug. That's one of the reasons i'm keen to swap my JDS Labs Atom for the A50s when it's available (assuming that it measures equally well or better than the Atom). The other reasons are...
  • It will match my D50s
  • It won't move around as much as the Atom as the A50s weighs considerably more.
  • Potential to power both units from the P50 - no expected change or improvement in sound quality, just neater cabling and less adapters to plug in. This may seem trivial, but under my desk I have an in-line UPS with 4 Euro sockets running my PC and screen, with another 4 UK sockets off that for audio and then another 10 UK socket adapter (connected to a separate wall outlet) for everything else - all these sockets are currently in use, or unusable because they're obscured by another DC adapter.

Last edited:
OP
H

Human Bass

Good point. I noticed that Massdrop are adding a 4 pin mini-XLR balanced connection to their DT 177x Go version... https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-beyerdynamic-dt177x-go-headphones/

My HD660s came with a balanced cable with a Pentacon plug. That's one of the reasons i'm keen to swap my JDS Labs Atom for the A50s when it's available (assuming that it measures equally well or better than the Atom). The other reasons are...
  • It will match my D50s
  • It won't move around as much as the Atom as the A50s weighs considerably more.
  • Potential to power both units from the P50 - no expected change or improvement in sound quality, just neater cabling and less adapters to plug in. This may seem trivial, but under my desk I have an in-line UPS with 4 Euro sockets running my PC and screen, with another 4 UK sockets off that for audio and then another 10 UK socket adapter (connected to a separate wall outlet) for everything else - all these sockets are currently in use, or unusable because they're obscured by another DC adapter.
Well, now i know you have a 660s, then the a50s becomes worthy. I once had the 660s and i can say it really benefits from going balanced.

ishmeister

• It will match my D50s
All valid reasons. My reason to buy it when it comes out is that I want a matching stack. I won't be using balanced (but might one day, who knows) and I don't expect it to sound different to the Atom. If it has a better volume pot then that's a bonus to me.

Seijuro808

Anxiously waiting for this... Topping posted that the L30 is about a month away, so A50s is at least a couple months away at this point? Since I read on another post here that A50s would release after the L30.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Anxiously waiting for this... Topping posted that the L30 is about a month away, so A50s is at least a couple months away at this point? Since I read on another post here that A50s would release after the L30.
L30 coming the end of the month. Will take a bit longer to ship to other countries.
A50s has also been in production. Samples for both will be sent out very soon. D10s review should come first tho.

OP
H

Human Bass

L30 coming the end of the month. Will take a bit longer to ship to other countries.
A50s has also been in production. Samples for both will be sent out very soon. D10s review should come first tho.
Well, the shipping to me is up to Ali Express

My D50S arrived this week and I'm loving it. Beautiful form/factor. Im torn between the L30 and the A50S. I know the A50S will look cute with the D50S. :D

Last edited:
OP
H

Human Bass

@JohnYang1997

Since it is done and in production, can you tell the output power in balanced and single ?

Will the power supply be a cool AC like the L30?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997

Since it is done and in production, can you tell the output power in balanced and single ?

Will the power supply be a cool AC like the L30?
For specifications maybe just wait for the review.

Power supply is external DC adapter. Because it has balanced output(no mains noise) so I'm fine with some power supply noise with single ended output.

OP
H

Human Bass

For specifications maybe just wait for the review.

Power supply is external DC adapter. Because it has balanced output(no mains noise) so I'm fine with some power supply noise with single ended output.
I know Im nitpicking, but "fine with some noise" isnt what we usually like to hear, but I guess it is really low, mostly undectable noise, riiiiight?

Btw, feel free to recommend what you believe are the best power supplies in the market.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I know Im nitpicking, but "fine with some noise" isnt what we usually like to hear, but I guess it is really low, mostly undectable noise, riiiiight?

Btw, feel free to recommend what you believe are the best power supplies in the market.
The P50 still works with A50s.

Top Bottom