• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thread dedicated to the Topping A50S

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I was just about ...

iucoen

When I use with DT880 600Ohm. It has already enough power. T60rp is a piece of cake for L30.
Only K1000 and HE6 are pushing it (still enough for normal use). All other dynamic or planar headphones can be easily driven by L30.
I've been hearing great things about the DT880 600Ohm and how hard they are to drive. Certain youtube reviewers seem to think that without a powerful enough amp they can't be driven to their full potential. Are those claims subjective or is there some science to it?

Also, the A50s spec lists output power with 2V input. Can you post the same for the L30 so I can compare? Thanks.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I've been hearing great things about the DT880 600Ohm and how hard they are to drive. Certain youtube reviewers seem to think that without a powerful enough amp they can't be driven to their full potential. Are those claims subjective or is there some science to it?

Also, the A50s spec lists output power with 2V input. Can you post the same for the L30 so I can compare? Thanks.
It does require a pretty good amplifier to achieve its full potential. BUT it's not as many people say. Decent amp like Atom, Heresy, L30 can easy drive it. Just that for some people they want more then here it is.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

120mW for 300Ohm.

iucoen

It does require a pretty good amplifier to achieve its full potential. BUT it's not as many people say. Decent amp like Atom, Heresy, L30 can easy drive it. Just that for some people they want more then here it is.
Earlier you said that the A30 Pro is "designed with DT880 600 Ohm in mind". Will the A30 Pro be qualitatively better than L30 for this headphone? Or is it just to appease people who need more "headroom"?

Veri

Master Contributor
Earlier you said that the A30 Pro is "designed with DT880 600 Ohm in mind". Will the A30 Pro be qualitatively better than L30 for this headphone? Or is it just to appease people who need more "headroom"?
It will have a crazy output in high gain. That's for sure.

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
Can the A50s be used as a main stereo preamp like the JDS Atom can?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can the A50s be used as a main stereo preamp like the JDS Atom can?

Note that the Atom has a 2nd input and an input switch on the front. This has been quite useful for me during lockdown as I can have my work laptop connected to the Atom (via 3.5mm aux input) and my monitors, as well as my home PC (via my USB DAC into the RCA input).

I'll have to use a small Anker Bluetooth speaker for my laptop when the A50s arrives.

OP
H

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine just arrived, yay!! I first had a hum problem unless the volume pot was maxed, but then I changed the RCA cables and the problem got fixed. Bad shield and/or ground from the first cables I tried. The pair that fixed the problem is Gotham Cables, extremely well shielded and flexible, best rca in the market imo.

With the hum fixed, this little amp is a beast, my Fiio Fh3 gets loud barely after muted. Im using the 4.4mm bal out, totally unecessary for a sensitive iem, I know. But couldnt resist.

Cant wait to my Aeon 2 to arrive. Planars do benefit a lot from a powerful amp.

Attachments

• photo_2020-10-09_15-51-51.jpg
    photo_2020-10-09_15-51-51.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 183
Top Bottom