• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thread closures and controversy versus reality. Spoiler [Fact on the ropes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeroy 85032

Music is good; music has zero politics, zero sex, zero religion, zero rebellion.
Audio Science is good; objective audio has zero politics, zero sex, zero religion, zero rebellion.
actually....... music inherently has a message .. and that message often involves politics ... but i admire you for thinking otherwise .. it involves happiness that eludes many of us lately:)

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I was eluding to good music, music that I love listening to...peaceful, smooth, grandiose, Opera, Dramatic, Blues, Classical, Avant-garde, Jazz, International, Happy, Dance, Tango, Calypso, New Age, Electronica, ...

North_Sky

Major Contributor
If we were in the year 2019 we wouldn't be in the state-of-mind that we are now in this year 2020, @ the end of September, with a pandemic, and a totally different world...in all aspects, plus an uncertain future.

We might not get sick, we might not die, we might not get vaccinated, we might wear a mask, we might see our doctor in a virtual world, with our computers, by Skype, by telephone, we might go shopping for food with precautions, we might socialize very discretely and from a distance, we might be changing our old habits for newer, safer habits, we might not be happy as we used to, we might have lesser freedom, lesser stamina, lesser incentive to risk it, we might be staying more home and rediscovering the cooking, gardening, music listening, we might have our lives changed, ... we are humans needing humans, needing communicating, needing living in harmony, needing water, food, paying the bills, the mortgage, the rent, the new audio gear, the new electric car, care for the new plants, the new crops, we might go for a bicycle tour in the mountain, on the road, going fishing, hunting, canoing, paddling, surfing, we might watch some documentaries, some films, we might see what's happening in the world from our favorite news outlets, we might get good information and news we can use, scientific news on the topics of the hours, on the topics of interest, on COVID-19 pandemic, on measures taken by each country, on what's best for us to go through this, to survive, to live day-to-day more responsible, considerate, compassionate, safe, calm and kind.

And that would be ok.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The music that interests me is very loaded with politics and everything else

But it's ok too, no one is arguing with your personal music listening preference.
When I was a kid I was listening to the Beatles, Bach, the Rolling Stones, Beethoven, Black Sabbath, Yes, Mozart and John Coltrane and Opéra Sauvage, Vangelis.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I was eluding to good music, music that I love listening to...peaceful, smooth, grandiose, Opera, Dramatic, Blues, Classical, Avant-garde, Jazz, International, Happy, Dance, Tango, Calypso, New Age, Electronica, ...

Well, Blues and Jazz are chock full of sex, politics, and religion references, with rebellion mixed in, too.

Half of the operas I can think of have love triangles and sex as part of the plot, along with jealousy, revenge, etc.

Lots and lots of religion in classical music, and even some politics (Beethoven's Eroica, Shostakovich Symphony 5, etc.).

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Alright, true enough; music is an expression of our sentimental emotions, ... romances, first loves, a walk in the park, a promenade along the river, ...

Last edited:

Totoro

Well, Blues and Jazz are chock full of sex, politics, and religion references, with rebellion mixed in, too.

Half of the operas I can think of have love triangles and sex as part of the plot, along with jealousy, revenge, etc.

Lots and lots of religion in classical music, and even some politics (Beethoven's Eroica, Shostakovich Symphony 5, etc.).

As far as jazz goes, right off the top of my head Mingus' "Fables of Faubus".

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even instrumental music [can be] political. Just ask Stalin or Shostakovich.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Then we should close all the music threads too?
About the movie threads, the documentary threads, the book threads, the Netflix threads, the ... even space is controlled by traffic controllers.

Of course not, we use good common sense; we let no one walk on our front yard ...
...Like in the movie Grand Torino by Clint Eastwood.

Putter

Forum Donor
I find that I've made more contributions to non Audio topics than Audio ones. My knowledge of audio particularly in the technical areas is limited and have found over the years that keeping quiet and listening when you're ignorant is the best way learn.

I've been to political sites and find that they tend to be invective hurled at each other, i.e. all heat and no light. Here, the politics and other non audio topics are kind of a backwater in this forum, not creating as much controversy. I've learned quite a bit from the Covid threads. Sometimes just tracking down the references and jumping off from there can be quite stimulating. And yes I've engaged in some heated discussions. While I don't feel a need to hide my politics (a GD Liberal Democrat!!), if the opinions and responses are based on facts and research they don't seem to bother the moderators.

As for keeping controversial topics open, I defer to the moderators doing what must at times seem to be a thankless job and hope they have the patience and fortitude to keep people in line, including yours truly.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Any other year, this year is not the same, but Amir is in his home here, we are guests, participants, contributors, his output is considerable and the data proves it. I've checked several audio forums from Alexa; only ASR is up, the rest are considerably down.
I rely on that data, it's a good gauge.

The majority decides along with Amir first. If the thread's starters could delete posts that are political that would be great for Thomas as the guy has to sleep in his night hours.
I realize that some members here are hedgy, and understandably so...we are in a pandemic. And it's the science of knowing what we're all dealing with, our behavior, keeping track, etc. Nobody wants any political clowns interfering with a very serious crisis. We want to learn more about this virus and how best to fight it, reminding ourselves how vulnerable we are if not taking the right precautions, not following the best advice, etc.

And how best in a scientific audio forum than during a pandemic?
Nobody is blinded, nobody each day is not somehow concerned a bit, it's just normal in abnormal times. What are we, machines, or humans with lungs, heart, nose, veins, blood, eyes, ears, brain?

I'm with the majority, this is just my own opinion. I'm with Amir because he's human, he's not a machine, and he's poor, and he needs our support for all his hard work. That's the way the world normally works.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I'm truly tired sometimes, of all the divisions, hatred, all that chaotic jazz.
I need a place where I can relax and learn with my friends, openly, respectably, advancing in the right direction. This is one of among the best right here.
And it's safe too. I'm not even wearing a mask right now, and I keep my distance hundreds thousands of miles away.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I want to keep the spirit alive, because without it we are lost in the middle of a vast ocean, underneath.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Twitter and Facebook have done Truth a great disservice.

For the people that chose to let it in to their lives. I've never had a twitter, facebook or instagram account and most of my friends and family aren't the slightest bit interested either. It's been rather amusing watching the procession from the sidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom