• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thread closures and controversy versus reality. Spoiler [Fact on the ropes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Why on earth does a forum whose sole purpose is to explore and review music playback (and have fun) need any threads about covid, climate change, politics or anything else unrelated?

Its not a science forum, it's a science focused audio forum.

Is my 2 pence on it.

Perhaps because we are humans with more than meets the ears?
Politics I agree, poo poo, we don't need.
But good documentaries on science, energies, health, medicine, food, films, Music, Audio, pandemics, climates, management, business, economy, ... yes, we want to expand our knowledge scientifically on all matters of life importance. ...Including Windows 10, MicroLed, Nuclear Fusion, Solar power, Electric cars, distortion-free DACs, favorite female singers, etc., etc., etc.

Forget politics, sex and religion...all three sins of mankind when losing it...when losing our control, our religion, our faith, when losing our humanity, our soul, when selling our vote to the devil, when raping our planet with oil, gas and chainsaws and machine guns.

The science of this pandemic, yes big time I'm fully 200% interested to scientifically learn every single day. I love science and measurements in Audio, I love music well recorded and reproduced, I love films with important messages and massages (cinematographically and auditory) ....Senses & sensibilities.
...The power of imagination, reality, humanity and audio science.

Forget politics; we all hate politics with a deep passion. It makes everyone sick to the bones. Politics divide, it doesn't unite. We are losing our democracy.

It's the pandemic we are concerned about, and with just cause.

Again, I offer to moderate a pandemic thread...for the science, for the protection of our health. Never I would have wanted to moderate, but for only one thread in my lifetime, yes.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Why on earth does a forum whose sole purpose is to explore and review music playback (and have fun) need any threads about covid, climate change, politics or anything else unrelated?

Its not a science forum, it's a science focused audio forum.

Is my 2 pence on it.
Fostering a sense of community by encouraging a amount of diversity in topics is good imo ..

We don't want deep divisions between us on non audio related subjects though, it's really very simple ASR had always been in line with Barber shop rules .

The increasing lack of maturity surrounding online debate combined with the limitations of this medium as a effective device of expression and understanding serve against us and prohibits discussion of sensitive and deeply personal subjects like , politics and unfortunately it's impossible to stop certain subjects ( climate change, covid19 etc) becoming some kind of proxy combat zone , largely due to our American members unfortunately.

I wrote a joke in another thread about the UK being at a point of national embarrassment never previous known , it got some likes .. caused no butt hurt and zero antagonism resulted . Something like that was said about the US by a American member and my inbox would be full and I'd be dealing with all sorts of aggravation, I know this because it's happened countless times .

Some of you think that can all be dealt with by sanctions , bannings but they are the same members that protest about freedom of speech , " I want to talk about covid19, if anyone comes with a disagreeable view or happens to align themselves quite by chance with what a politician I don't like thinks we can thread ban them " .

So you want freedom of speech but ask for increased authoritarianism to maintain it . It's a contradiction, so we are sticking to barbershop rules .

No politics, debates that degenerate and consistently demonstrate a propensity to go in that direction in a manor that's decisive will be halted , likely after a good deal of effort to turn them around.

This is the way it is, it's like this because that's what the membership has informed us thought their collective behaviour over some years.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Covid has shut down Popular Music Performances, Orchestral Concert Scheudules, Audio Shows, Theaters, has likely bankrupted Dealers, has infected listeners, reviewers and artists, and probably will be one of the "turning points" for greater society as to how it handles medical "scares" in the future.

If that doesn't rate a little discussion off to the side of the mainstream among people who might otherwise share certain activities among those adversely affected, I don't know what would.

Will we discuss the Zombie Apocalypse when it occurs?

I hope so.

At least until somebody thinks somebody gets butt hurt by some text on a screen and appeals to the Thought Police for adjudication.

---

If you don't like it, don't read it.

That's easy enough, huh?

---

"Do what you wanna
Do what you will
Just don't mess up
Your neighbor's thrill
'N when you pay the bill
Kindly leave a little tip
And help the next poor sucker
On his one way trip"

--- F.Z. "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing"

Ray, you are a top gun in my book...intelligent, articulate, one of the top researchers, ...all that jazz.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
However, the COVID-19 threads I have been in have rarely discussed its impact on audio. The discussions have been general, like one might find on non-audio focused websites.

Covid has no focus.

Willem

Major Contributor
These are indeed hard times for eateries and bars. Here in the Netherlands they now have to close at 10, and stop admitting an hour before that (i.e. worse than British drinking up time...). However none of this is for nothing, as case numbers have been soaring recently, and increasingly also hospital admissions. The good news is that doctors now know much better how to treat patients, so icu admissions are far fewer, as are deaths.
The background to all this has been that people have increasingly let their guard down, and with a government that quite understandably did not dare to act more decisively earlier on given the increasing popular resistance. All this has suddenly changed. I notice many people now wearing face masks, and once again respecting social distancing. Those who want their 'freedom' back are very quiet now that infections are soaring.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Again, I offer to moderate a pandemic thread...for the science, for the protection of our health. Never I would have wanted to moderate, but for only one thread in my lifetime, yes.
Bob you firebombing the covid19 thread to within a inch of its life is why it degenerated and a contributing factor to why it got shut down.

You concentrate on moderating your own posts , keeping some focus and remember less is more .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom