• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts - Topping D30 + A30 vs. used Emotiva XDA-2 (looking for headphone amp/dac combo)

w00ds153

Anyone have experience with these setups? I'm contemplating buying the Topping units new or trying to hunt down a used Emotive XDA-2 for maybe a little more $$. These seem to be the most talked about and reviewed units that I can find for their cost. I know the Emo has an additional optical and coax input and a remote which is nice, but that's about the only difference I see (non-technically speaking lol). Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. I use the Senn HD6XX headphones and will have a laptop and bluetooth receiver used as sources for music. Would also like to run dac through an external amp for bookshelf speaker play. Thanks!

garbulky

Major Contributor
I have used the XDA-2. For the HD600's they aren't enough power for the best sound. For the HD6xx they have a little bit more power but not much. The XDA-2 is a gorgeous unit though. I love the look and feel of it. The Topping uses Saber dacs while the XDA-2 uses Analog Device dacs. I prefer my DC-1 to the XDA-2 (subjective listening no DBT testing performed). I personally wouldn't buy an XDA-2 and I've not been enamored with prior Saber DACs - for me.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
Topping D30 is actually a Cirrus Logic CS4398 design. I absolutely recommend this DAC. However for an amplifier in this price range the best option is the JDS Labs Atom, which works extremely well with the HD6XX, and probably 95% of all other "serious" headphones.

OP
W

w00ds153

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Atom amp and D30 dac ordered ..before I get trapped in the rabbit hole! -Thanks.

OP
W

w00ds153

I got trapped, now thinking about upgrading to the THX 789 amp and SMSL SU-8 dac ..before the atom and d30 get here.

Just kidding ..thanks again. This forum is most excellent.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh no! You already pulled the trigger? Patience. This wasn't even 12 hours for replies. I had in the mind a couple bits that were much better than what you chose. It is the....................................

Okay, only kidding. Having a bit of fun at your expense. I actually think you made a couple good picks here. :)
There is something to be said for decisiveness instead of paralysis by analysis.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an XDA-2 and tested it a bit against some more modern DACs. It didn't perform well. Obvious jitter, significant level of IMD, and some power supply noise. It is also sensitive to USB cords, the only DAC I have that had a change in behavior with a different USB cable. The SRC on/off didn't have much effect on these results. Also, feeding the DAC from optical input didn't improve these, so it's not just the USB input.

emotiva-jitter.png

OP
W

w00ds153

I have an XDA-2 and tested it a bit against some more modern DACs. It didn't perform well. Obvious jitter, significant level of IMD, and some power supply noise. It is also sensitive to USB cords, the only DAC I have that had a change in behavior with a different USB cable. The SRC on/off didn't have much effect on these results. Also, feeding the DAC from optical input didn't improve these, so it's not just the USB input.

View attachment 21944
Good to know!

NielsMayer

My XDA-2 is very sensitive to ground loops w/ multiple devices connected over USB/SPDIF/AES-EBU. Sends a ton of noise to the headphone out with noticeable hum. It is in no way competitive with modern DACs. I'd imagine even a modern $50-$100 DAC these days would have it beat sound wise (despite amazing selection of inputs on XDA-2). IMHO. Just recently replaced it in my bedroom system w/ "old" Topping DX7S and the difference is very noticeable. Also, no longer need to cover front with blanket due to incredibly bright and annoying/unhealthy blue lights.

Top Bottom