• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on these amp measurements

SoundSoundS

Hi All,
i'm looking onto an integrated amp measurements (on paper) and owuld appreciate any toughts on these. In particular the THD+N/SNR/THD. Does the THD+N look a bit low to be concidered reasonably good at 100W?

Output power:2 x 167 W into 8 Ω
2 x 284 W into 4 Ω
Frequency response:0.3 – 650,000 Hz (-3 dB)
Damping factor:typ. 1,000 at 100 Hz
Harmonic distortion:k2 typ. -101 dB,
k3 typ. -107 dB,
@1 kHz, 25 W / 4 Ω
THD + N:< -98 dB @1 kHz, 100 W / 4 Ω
SNR:> 106 dB (A-weighted)
Channel separation:> 103 dB @ 1 kHz

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Does the THD+N look a bit low to be concidered reasonably good at 100W?
Lower (a bigger negative number) is better. ;)

It looks good to me! You can't always trust or compare measurements unless they are done consistently and independently (like Amir's measurements here at ASR). I believe Amir measures SINAD relative to 5W so a higher power amp doesn't automatically give a better number.

And I don't fully-trust the manufacturer's published specs...

But it it's -98dB at 100W the noise will be -88dB at 10W and depending on the sensitivity of your speakers, how close you are to the speakers, and the background noise in the room, you probably won't hear the amplifier noise.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes there are even better measuring amps, but these measurements are perfectly fine.

OP
SoundSoundS

SoundSoundS

Lower (a bigger negative number) is better. ;)

It looks good to me! You can't always trust or compare measurements unless they are done consistently and independently (like Amir's measurements here at ASR). I believe Amir measures SINAD relative to 5W so a higher power amp doesn't automatically give a better number.

And I don't fully-trust the manufacturer's published specs...

But it it's -98dB at 100W the noise will be -88dB at 10W and depending on the sensitivity of your speakers, how close you are to the speakers, and the background noise in the room, you probably won't hear the amplifier noise.
Thanks! Yeah, i have a general understanding of measurements and how speakers affect them and such , but sometimes when wendors choose to point out diffrent measurements in diffrent ohms @ different Watts , it throws me off :) And sometimes i can't really do all the math :)

OP
SoundSoundS

SoundSoundS

Frequency response: 0.3 – 650,000 Hz (-3 dB)
That's way higher than it needs to be.
It's one of those measurements that a lot of the high end amps go overboard with for i guess marketing purpouses :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's one of those measurements that a lot of the high end amps go overboard with for i guess marketing purpouses :)
Perhaps; but it's a bad idea to respond that high, since you simply encourage pickup of things like AM radio frequencies.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But hey. The suspense is killing us. What amp is it ? ;-)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:) Audionet Watt. I didn't directly ask for a opinion on the amp as i know it's not very popular in this group
Other than the silly high frequency response (which can be fixed easily with an input LPF) it looks good to me.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing that stands out in the spec is that THD is measured at only 25w and only second and third harmonic summed ? What about that ?

They should have speced to some standard ( any standard) it’s not really possible to compare with anything?
Send it to Amir ?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:) Audionet Watt. I didn't directly ask for a opinion on the amp as i know it's not very popular in this group
According to this. The amp doesn’t seem to quite meet the published specs. Still okish. But for 12500 bucks? Or is this a different amp?

Last edited:
OP
SoundSoundS

SoundSoundS

One thing that stands out in the spec is that THD is measured at only 25w and only second and third harmonic summed ? What about that ?

They should have speced to some standard ( any standard) it’s not really possible to compare with anything?
Send it to Amir ?
I'ts 55 pounds / 25 kg's . A bit difficult to move between rooms to begin with :)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to this. The amp doesn’t seem to quire meet the published specs. Still okish. But for 12500 bucks? Or is this a different amp?

Besides price it’s low(ish) distortion and low output impedance, so it will very likely be fine for most use cases ?
That would answer OP :) yes it’s “ok” and will perform and not cause issues ?

The measurements showed a rather low S/N ratio ? That would be the only worry. But if you try the amp and are not bothered by noise in listening position it not the end of the world either ?
Is this a penalty for the extreme bandwidth ?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides price it’s low(ish) distortion and low output impedance, so it will very likely be fine for most use cases ?
That would answer OP :) yes it’s “ok” and will perform and not cause issues ?

The measurements showed a rather low S/N ratio ? That would be the only worry. But if you try the amp and are not bothered by noise in listening position it not the end of the world either ?
Is this a penalty for the extreme bandwidth ?
Yes that’s how I would see it too.

Top Bottom