• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro DAC?

Bamyasi

I think it's time to send an X-SABRE Pro MQA to Aimr now.

Please, pretty please send non-MQA version instead. Who needs another lossy codec support and MQA is dead already anyways. I certainly not paying $300 more for some unnecessary circuitry which would likely increase RF noise.

gvl

Major Contributor
I might, Tidal Masters sound woderful IMO and I'm too cheap/lazy to buy/download hires tracks.

@MatrixAudio, is full MQA unfold implemented in your units?

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Please, pretty please send non-MQA version instead. Who needs another lossy codec support and MQA is dead already anyways. I certainly not paying $300 more for some unnecessary circuitry which would likely increase RF noise.
unfortunately, the non-MQA version is discontinued. sorry.
something i can confirm, the MQA version do not harmful to the sound quality.

gvl

Major Contributor
Of course, it must be an MQA full decoder. :cool:

I know one manufacturer that only performs the 1st unfold, but they make NOS DACs and claim that 2nd unfold makes little sense for NOS.

Veri

Master Contributor
The MQA version is slightly upgraded, has a newer XMOS interface, and apparently the old one is now deprecated. Makes sense for the most current one to be reviewed.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know one manufacturer that only performs the 1st unfold, but they make NOS DACs and claim that 2nd unfold makes little sense for NOS.
I may be wrong but, wouldnt the high sample rates of the final unfold just be too high for a NOS dac to handle?

I dont have preference one way or the other with MQA other than i often run into it with Tidal/Roon. I dont hear a difference vs FLAC on my ssd or Tidal. I let Roon unfold what it can. I am very curious whether a fully MQA enabled DAC would make a difference. I doubt it. But still, its nice to know you've got the technology to do so.

Veri

Master Contributor
I may be wrong but, wouldnt the high sample rates of the final unfold just be too high for a NOS dac to handle?

A NOS DAC just takes the input rate and leaves it as-is. The holo spring can take 1536Khz PCM in NOS for example. As a matter of fact NOS is more often than not recommended together with high quality upsampling like HQPlayer (note I have no opinion on the matter myself..)
So no I don't think that would be a limitation of NOS but rather the hardware.

gvl

Major Contributor
Yeah, even the early DAC chips could go to 192kHz.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Apart from MQA the spec looks identical. Did I miss something, or Is MQA the only difference?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
XU216 instead of XU208. There could be more changes behind the scenes.
I was thinking in terms of features or performance that might make the extra $300 more acceptable to someone who doesn't think MQA is worth paying for.

Bamyasi

@MatrixAudio Do you know if XU216 chip is supported by recent Linux kernel? Specifications on the website does not list Linux as supported OS but my network transport/streamer (Allo.com USBridge) runs on Debian Linux derived system. Will I be able to connect your MQA Pro DAC to it?

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I too would like the answer to that question - can RPis/other SBCs use ALSA to get audio to the sabre pro mqa ?

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
@MatrixAudio Do you know if XU216 chip is supported by recent Linux kernel? Specifications on the website does not list Linux as supported OS but my network transport/streamer (Allo.com USBridge) runs on Debian Linux derived system. Will I be able to connect your MQA Pro DAC to it?
Hello, the Linux system support is not depend on what chip we are using, but if there is someone intagrate Matrix products in Linux kernel.
I tested X-SABRE Pro MQA under Ubantu, it recognize X-SABRE Pro MQA correctly and work fine.
but i'm not sure if Debian is also OK.

Bamyasi

Hello, the Linux system support is not depend on what chip we are using, but if there is someone intagrate Matrix products in Linux kernel. I tested X-SABRE Pro MQA under Ubantu, it recognize X-SABRE Pro MQA correctly and work fine. but i'm not sure if Debian is also OK.

Thank you @MatrixAudio , that sounds encouraging. I will have to do more research but so far, it looks like it might work with my SBC as well.

Top Bottom