• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro DAC?

OP
chriskilbourn

chriskilbourn

The problem with the Element X is that they don't have iOS support. So, I'd have to use an Android device to control Roon, if I understand correctly.

JBNY

You should be able to use an iOS device with roon to control the Element. I think that if you want to control the Element direct;ly outside of roon, you will need an Android device.

Crane

Forum Donor
I'm actually considering the element X as a total package considering a dac/headphone amp/streamer/IIS/etc.

I'm actually moving in about two months or so and have been looking at new gear for a desktop dac for headphones and speakers with additional connection for a TV use. I've been using a khadas with the atom for desktop which has been amazing but this would basically be an expensive all in one.

I wouldn't mind buying it now and sending to @amirm for testing purposes.

Crane

Forum Donor
You should! It will be a while before I can get Matrix X-Sabre Pro
I would definitely be willing to do it, this forum and community has already inspired an audio lover everyday I'm on it, just need amir on board.

I'm moving to LA near august so much time is available for thorough testing hopefully :)

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
I'm actually considering the element X as a total package considering a dac/headphone amp/streamer/IIS/etc.

I'm actually moving in about two months or so and have been looking at new gear for a desktop dac for headphones and speakers with additional connection for a TV use. I've been using a khadas with the atom for desktop which has been amazing but this would basically be an expensive all in one.

I wouldn't mind buying it now and sending to @amirm for testing purposes.
Hi bro, we will try to arrange an element X sample unit and ship it to Aimr, looking forward to it! :p

The problem with the Element X is that they don't have iOS support. So, I'd have to use an Android device to control Roon, if I understand correctly.
the iOS app is developing in progress. hopefully within year 2019.
element X works as an end-point of a Roon core, if you run ROON on your computer (or other roon core), you can install ROON Remote on your iOS phone and control element X as an end-point. :D

gvl

Major Contributor
Yo! Welcome, we need a new king of the chart to rule them all. The X-Sabre Pro's THD+N spec of <0.00012% looks promising. Any chance you can send one for Amir to test?

Yviena

I'm considering purchasing the matrix pro, it would be very interesting to see measurements of the matrix pro/element the DAC section should be the same. The first thing I read on sbaf about this DAC is that jitter removal feature in the chip somehow removes the "emotion, good energy" of the music whatever that is supposed to be, and that a spdif converter/spinner sounds "better" than async USB. I'm unsure if the usb is galvanically isolated though so maybe grounding can explain differences.

Last edited:

Crane

Forum Donor
Hi bro, we will try to arrange an element X sample unit and ship it to Aimr, looking forward to it! :p

the iOS app is developing in progress. hopefully within year 2019.
element X works as an end-point of a Roon core, if you run ROON on your computer (or other roon core), you can install ROON Remote on your iOS phone and control element X as an end-point. :D

No one is gonna object you sending the entire line up if you like :p

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The first thing I read on sbaf about this DAC is that jitter removal feature in the chip somehow removes the "emotion, good energy" of the music whatever that is supposed to be, and that a spdif converter/spinner sounds "better" than async USB.
That's all subjectivist nonsense.

Zog

I'm considering purchasing the matrix pro, it would be very interesting to see measurements of the matrix pro/element the DAC section should be the same. The first thing I read on sbaf about this DAC is that jitter removal feature in the chip somehow removes the "emotion, good energy" of the music whatever that is supposed to be, and that a spdif converter/spinner sounds "better" than async USB. I'm unsure if the usb is galvanically isolated though so maybe grounding can explain differences.
What is 'sbaf'?

Yviena

That's all subjectivist nonsense.
Yeah it probably is, most likely that disabling the jitter feature is somehow increasing distortions somewhere making it sound more pleasant.
Though I doubt it's really needed if the usb is async, and implemented correctly.

btw I really love your reviews about all the various usb/spdif gadgets, unlike some people on headfi who blindly praise them as better without any objective measurements.

What is 'sbaf'?
stands for superbestaudiofriends,

gvl

Major Contributor

Absolutely no need to worry, the jitter correction feature can be disabled which ensures stable flow of emotion and good energy.

Yviena

Absolutely no need to worry, the jitter correction feature can be disabled which ensures stable flow of emotion and good energy.
Haha no worries I don't really believe them either.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Yo! Welcome, we need a new king of the chart to rule them all. The X-Sabre Pro's THD+N spec of <0.00012% looks promising. Any chance you can send one for Amir to test?
How about test element X first? if you guys want to see the measurement of X-SABRE Pro MQA by ASR, i would like to try to arrange sample unit.

Crane

Forum Donor
@MatrixAudio you wouldn't happen to have your own graphs and measurements for the element x you can provide here?

Yviena

@MatrixAudio if I may ask is it possible to bypass the digital filters in firmware, or by sending 8x/16x PCM rates, I kinda like having the ability to tune the filter to my own preferences via software etc.

Top Bottom