• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's been out since June it seems, so hopefully early batch issues (if any - I don't know) are sorted by now.

I might wait 1 more month to order

Music1969

Major Contributor
What is the point of this plastic crap around the SMPS section?

Can't be doing anything for RF/EMI ?

1662782012904.png

1662782034627.png

Ctjacks336

Was looking at this dac. Seems like all the SMSL products are the same around this price point

cosmom3

I just bought one to pair with my living room couch setup with my THX 887. I'm curious if it's worth getting the balanced cables?

ampguy

I just bought one to pair with my living room couch setup with my THX 887. I'm curious if it's worth getting the balanced cables?
Probably not, unless your distances are great, or you think you're experiencing EMI issues from the unbal. cables.

cosmom3

Probably not, unless your distances are great, or you think you're experiencing EMI issues from the unbal. cables.

You're right as I'm just stacking them. Made no difference, at least using the 1/4” jack as I don't have a balanced XLR cable with me at the moment. That being said, the SMSL D-6 is a solid DAC with balanced TRS outputs for those need it.

C601C55F-35C5-45DA-8EEA-28151F0377DC.jpeg

CivilWizard

I had a chance to test the BT + LDAC input on the D-6 and it also exhibits the same 2 sec output starting lag as the DO100, but considering it's price point it's hard to fault it IMO (it also sounds wonderful BTW).

One can "solve" this problem by hooking a separate LDAC receiver box with SPDIF/Coax out like the Fiio BTA30 Pro, but this combo is pretty close in price to a Topping EX5 that also has an added headphone amp so YMMV.

My other minor quibble about the D-6 is the LED display is still way too bright on the lowest setting, and there's also no display auto turn off function like on the Topping DX3+ and D50s. Personally, I think vendors should at least pay some attention to usability to any product regardless of price.
Hi sir,
I received my D-6 today and I was able to find a hidden function (no pun intended) to allow the display to auto-off. All you do is hold the FN button on the remote for ~5 seconds and the display goes into auto-off mode. Now, I have not found a way to toggle the display to show volume all the time instead of sample rate. Does anyone know how to do that? Tapping FN once just switches to the bluetooth input.....

CivilWizard

(Don't have a D-6). My new SMSL remote (separate volume keys) from A300 has a little worse angle sideway compared to the old remote from my SA300. Only a few degrees and doesn't matter on a desktop setup. These are all still IR remote and subject more to interferences, etc. so don't expect much difference between them; they are all usable but not good.
Now I just use one single Anderic remote to control everything/brand I use (Topping/SMSL/FX-Audio). Much easier.
Hi! Can you share which specific remote to buy? How do you determine compatibility with Topping/SMSL?

nsfgp

Hi! Can you share which specific remote to buy? How do you determine compatibility with Topping/SMSL?
I am using an infrared "learning" remote - meaning I have to learn each individual key press from a source remote to the target(learning) remote. I believe if you have a harmony remote there are presets for topping that can be used and that would be the easiest. Other than that there is no other universal remote that you can just key in a device code and be able to control a Topping/SMSL/etc. devices.
I have the Anderic 3 device model learning remote. It is far from perfect as there are glitches here and there; such as some learned keys may disappeared later all of a sudden and I have to re-learn that key again; plus for mine I can mostly learn up to 2,3 keys during one learning cycle (so have to do multiple learn cycles).
There are so many keys available so I am able to map/learn keys from my SMSL/Topping/FX remotes onto it for 1 device setting. It takes some logical thinking to separate the keys the way that work best but after some use it becomes natural. Works for me at least and much more convenient to use one remote only (and I don't even need to switch between devices to control).

NexusOne

I actually use the D6. I think it is perfect for the price and it has got more features than more expensive DACs like SU-9 or D30Pro (Bluetooth (5.1), USB-C, a better remote).

Two things are bad: The lowest setting is too bright. My SH-9 is darker. The plastik display is cheap and not robust. Of course there are some scratches on it.

Two questions:
- I think the first filter setting should stay on 1 (without slow, delay). But what does the second filter mean? I didn't read anything about the second filter.
- I haven't got a cable so i couldn't test it: Is it possible to connect the iphone with the D6 (lightning to usb-c) or another smartphone (usb-c to usb-c)? I ask because in the sabaj - thread I read that it didn't work because usb-c is no real usb-c.

cosmom3

I returned mine after picking up a second-hand SMSL DO100 for the same price as a brand new D-6 (or SU-6) so it was a no brainer for me.

E_Majluf

Hello everyone in the forum, I want to discuss this DAC that arrived in Chile last week. From AliExpress.

This post is a translation of Google Translate.

I wanted a bluetooth DAC as part of my second system for my terrace and living room, to liven up meetings with friends and family, but before I tried it in my dedicated home theater system, which is made up of B&W 603 s2 speakers, one sub JL e-sub e112, a Bryston 9B SST 5-channel amplifier, a Bryston SP2 preamp and processor, a Bryston BDA-3 stereo DAC, an OPPO UDP-203 Bluray, among other components. (not bad, don't you think?), Also, where I listen is a large room with approximate golden dimensions (Fibonacci) (8.15 * 5.24 * 2.95 meters)

I mention all this, to indicate that it is not just any system and that low frequencies are heard up to 20 herzt, for the measurements I obtained by replacing the Bryston DAC with the SMSL D-6.

First, I listened to it with various types of music and it all felt clearer and cleaner than the Briston BDA-3 which also has AKM dual DACs.

But when I put the Bryston on I realized that I was lacking in bass, so I did a quick test with Sterophile's TEST CD 3 track 17 (250Hz down to 20Hz), which I clearly verified from certain low frequencies being It has a drastic sharp roll off, I think around 80hz.

So the questions are: Is my particular DAC defective?
Otherwise, how can it be that they manufacture this DAC without converting these frequencies?

Anything to say about the manufacturer?
And those who have this DAC?
This weekend I will make a video for those who are interested and I could upload it to this forum. Anyone interested?

Thanks for reading me.

E_Majluf

Sorry, can't seem to upload videos.
If anyone interested knows, please explain. If not, I can share them by sending them to e-mails

Top Bottom