• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

Keerati

I got this link from SMSL staff. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ion-owners-feedback.34165/page-4#post-1237845

I follow the instruction and foobar screen configuration, for DO100, pop noise with native DSD issue has gone.

For D-6, pop noise with native DSD when changing sample rate has gone (I tried by switching between 3 different DSD music files with 3 different sampling rates). Strangely though, the pop noise still remain when you press stop & play button.

I don't have a source device to test DSD on optical/coaxial input. So, I can only test native DSD via USB input.

Kaval

Could you try with PCM (non-DSD) files and let us know whether the pop issue is resolved?

carlcamper

I got this link from SMSL staff. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ion-owners-feedback.34165/page-4#post-1237845

I follow the instruction and foobar screen configuration, for DO100, pop noise with native DSD issue has gone.

For D-6, pop noise with native DSD when changing sample rate has gone (I tried by switching between 3 different DSD music files with 3 different sampling rates). Strangely though, the pop noise still remain when you press stop & play button.

I don't have a source device to test DSD on optical/coaxial input. So, I can only test native DSD via USB input.

Do you still experience a slight click when using USB input and audio is inactive for 5 seconds (it also clicks when audio signal returns)? Do note this click is quite faint, and is only noticeable on high volumes.

Kaval

My D-6 arrived today. I am not using USB input. Only Optical and Bluetooth inputs. I have not noticed any slight click/pop noise when the audio is inactive for 5 seconds or more.

There are various filters (1 to 6), which ones are commonly used?

Keerati

Could you try with PCM (non-DSD) files and let us know whether the pop issue is resolved?
Yes, but I don't have pop noise on PCM to begin with. Only native DSD that has pop noise.
My D-6 also have 2 sec output lag using bluetooth.

Anyway, SMSL staff told me that they will upgrade it through firmware.

Keerati

Do you still experience a slight click when using USB input and audio is inactive for 5 seconds (it also clicks when audio signal returns)? Do note this click is quite faint, and is only noticeable on high volumes.
Would be difficult for me to test on high volumes. I usually have free time during the night after my little daughter went to bed. So, just don't want to accidentally wake her up.

Keerati

My D-6 arrived today. I am not using USB input. Only Optical and Bluetooth inputs. I have not noticed any slight click/pop noise when the audio is inactive for 5 seconds or more.

There are various filters (1 to 6), which ones are commonly used?

Scrivs

Forum Donor
Totally disagree with that review; this DAC is ultra-clean, and transparent.
Yeah, that dude was barely within the realm of logic/common sense when he first started, mostly unqualified, subjective nonsense. The silly humour helped me see past the bs in the beginning, but once his subscriber count started picking up, I can scroll pass his videos quickly enough. There’s a term I can think of that rhymes with “rolled out” which captures my opinion

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, but I don't have pop noise on PCM to begin with. Only native DSD that has pop noise.
My D-6 also have 2 sec output lag using bluetooth.

Anyway, SMSL staff told me that they will upgrade it through firmware.

If the lag ever got fixed, it would unquestionably be the best value non-HA DAC, along with the DO100.

Kevinfc

Anybody have thoughts on the remote? Does it need to be pointed directly at the DAC? Is it powerful?

nsfgp

Anybody have thoughts on the remote? Does it need to be pointed directly at the DAC? Is it powerful?
(Don't have a D-6). My new SMSL remote (separate volume keys) from A300 has a little worse angle sideway compared to the old remote from my SA300. Only a few degrees and doesn't matter on a desktop setup. These are all still IR remote and subject more to interferences, etc. so don't expect much difference between them; they are all usable but not good.
Now I just use one single Anderic remote to control everything/brand I use (Topping/SMSL/FX-Audio). Much easier.

pjoh

Music1969

Major Contributor
Any HQPlayer users here? That can test something for me with this DAC

carlcamper

nsfgp

? It's not in that PDF i linked
Yes. If you just look and compare to the chinese manual version it is not too hard to see that the last 2 pages of the English manual is missing from the version in the link. He probably has another version manual saved from before.
You already have one of the 2 missing page; the last page you can use the Chinese version as it is just listing the Filter Name nothing more in there.

Of course you should/can contact SMSL to ask them to update the version out there too.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes. If you just look and compare to the chinese manual version it is not too hard to see that the last 2 pages of the English manual is missing from the version in the link. He probably has another version manual saved from before.
You already have one of the 2 missing page; the last page you can use the Chinese version as it is just listing the Filter Name nothing more in there.

Of course you should/can contact SMSL to ask them to update the version out there too.
No problem. My question was where it came from. Just to check that page is actually legit/accurate.

Top Bottom