• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

RimaLV2

My D-6 is arriving next week and will replace a Sabaj D5 if I'm happy with it. I hope this DAC swap will result in a noticeably upgraded listening experience and also the addition of HD Bluetooth is a desired feature as well. I didn't bother comparing their measurement specs but I'm quite familiar with the D5's sound signature as well as the lore of how an AKM chipset is suppose to differ from ESS. Has anyone here replaced their ESS DAC for an AKM or vice-versa without any regrets?
I have experience with DX3+ (ESS9038Q2M), DX5 (2xESS9068AS), D-6 (AK4493S) and currently E50 (ESS9068AS). The least favorite of mine is the DX3+. Somehow I don't really like the DX5 as much as the E50. If they can fix the click pop noise on D-6, I definitely choose it ($100 cheaper) instead of the the E50

Last edited:

carlcamper

Did they reply to you yet?
Yes, see response below. I replied back with more details and linked this thread as proof I'm not the only one experiencing this. Otherwise, I'm happy with my workaround of using the optical toslink, but if they manage to fix it, all the better :)
Screenshot_20220716-100713_Gmail.jpg

alpha_logic

Alright - I looked into the pop/click issue in more detail. I can reproduce the issue if I put in some arbitrary software buffer in front of the device, and increase latency of the 'stream' to the DAC; I can also reproduce the problem by switching from a very high sample rate to a regular sample rate. I can reproduce the problem on ANY DAC I tested, not just the D-6.

I'm no expert on the subject, but my guess is that the default buffers on DACs for input data is very, very small, and maybe the D-6 buffer implementation has higher latency than other DACs. In any case, increasing input latency by switching sample rates, and/or by fronting it with an artificial buffer - will in my case cause an audible 'click' if the latency rises above a certain threshold AND I'm changing samplerates.

Last edited:

carlcamper

Alright - I looked into the pop/click issue in more detail. I can reproduce the issue if I put in some arbitrary software buffer in front of the device, and increase latency of the 'stream' to the DAC; I can also reproduce the problem by switching from a very high sample rate to a regular sample rate. I can reproduce the problem on ANY DAC I tested, not just the D-6.

I'm no expert on the subject, but my guess is that the default buffers on DACs for input data is very, very small, and maybe the D-6 buffer implementation buffer is smaller than other DACs. In any case, increasing input latency by switching sample rates, and/or by fronting it with an artificial buffer - will in my case cause an audible 'click' if the latency rises above a certain threshold.
Tnx for the investigation. Is there a way then to lower this latency on windows or android to prevent this, or does this have to be done on the firmware side?

alpha_logic

Tnx for the investigation. Is there a way then to lower this latency on windows or android to prevent this, or does this have to be done on the firmware side?
Ok, never actually had this hooked up on windows. You can set the input buffer - but only through a) the smsl provided driver config systray app, which only provides ASIO configuration, or b) something like foobar2000, please see attached screenshot. Depending on what output you use - Asio or Windows Audio, you'd use either interface to configure the input buffer.

screen.jpg

Matt_HGR

Hi all, total newbie here. Looking to get this D-6 as it fits the bill perfectly for me.

I live in the UK, and i've got a few sellers to choose from (Amazon,Ebay,hifigo,shenzenaudio). Does anyone have a recommendation on the best choice?
Amazon is most expensive but i'm sure their aftersales is the better option. though shenzenaudio appear to offer a 2 year warranty if i register as a member and buy direct :/

Thanks!

alpha_logic

Hi all, total newbie here. Looking to get this D-6 as it fits the bill perfectly for me.

I live in the UK, and i've got a few sellers to choose from (Amazon,Ebay,hifigo,shenzenaudio). Does anyone have a recommendation on the best choice?
Amazon is most expensive but i'm sure their aftersales is the better option. though shenzenaudio appear to offer a 2 year warranty if i register as a member and buy direct :/

Thanks!
Amazon, every time - sending things back to China when things go awry is just plain wrong.

WhyNotHad

Is there a measurement for this product? I can't find any measurement data. It's sad that reviewers are not interested in products with excellent cost-effectiveness

WhyNotHad

Not yet AFAIK
Thank you.

To sum up the issues mentioned in this thread, what problems do users of D-6 point to? I haven't experienced any issues yet. I didn't even find a clicking(popping) issue on my device.

carlcamper

Thank you.

To sum up the issues mentioned in this thread, what problems do users of D-6 point to? I haven't experienced any issues yet. I didn't even find a clicking(popping) issue on my device.

Based on @alpha_logic 's findings, the popping/clicking issue will manifest depending on the buffer settings of your device, as well as a change in sample rate, so it depends on your source device.

I circumvent the buffer issue by using optical toslink instead of usb.

SMSL support has pointed to ShenzhenAudio as their partner for this, that's why ShenzhenAudio support is the one I am engaged to hopefully fix these issues via a firmware update.

WhyNotHad

Based on @alpha_logic 's findings, the popping/clicking issue will manifest depending on the buffer settings of your device, as well as a change in sample rate, so it depends on your source device.

I circumvent the buffer issue by using optical toslink instead of usb.

SMSL support has pointed to ShenzhenAudio as their partner for this, that's why ShenzhenAudio support is the one I am engaged to hopefully fix these issues via a firmware update.

Oh, holy...so have you solved this problem by using OPT? I don't get why USB/OPT make a difference.

Since there is no notice from SMSL about the firmware update related to this issue yet, I wonder if they are already aware of this issue or not.

carlcamper

Oh, holy...so have you solved this problem by using OPT? I don't get why USB/OPT make a difference.

Since there is no notice from SMSL about the firmware update related to this issue yet, I wonder if they are already aware of this issue or not.

Yes, at least for the clicks from usb. Others have reported pops on optical toslink when changing sample rates, but I don't change sample rates, so I haven't encountered it yet.

Yes, they are aware as I originally emailed just SMSL support, not ShenzhenAudio support:

1658198862224.png

Strompel

Thank you.

In my experience the problems are not a deal breaker.
- Has a pop/click when switching sample rates.
- has a pop/click after a minute of silence and at resume.

For me the pop/click is not too loud, but it is there.
I don't know if it is the same with every device and amplifier combination.

Aside from that problem (if you experience it like that). Everything is working as it should and I really like the sound. If it can be solved with a firmware update would be great. I don't know how it could influence measurements and I just hope it doesn't. We can only know if it is tested.

At this moment I do want to know what the setting sc1 to sc4 is for I can't find it

carlcamper

Aside from that problem (if you experience it like that). Everything is working as it should and I really like the sound. If it can be solved with a firmware update would be great. I don't know how it could influence measurements and I just hope it doesn't. We can only know if it is tested.

At this moment I do want to know what the setting sc1 to sc4 is for I can't find it
I agree, I really like the sound from these a lot :)

As for SC1 to SC4, It seems to be a sound quality mode changer. See the attached datasheet for details starting page 59. Maybe someone with more digital audio circuit background can elaborate.

Attachments

• ak4493seq-en-datasheet-myakm.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 202

WhyNotHad

Yes, at least for the clicks from usb. Others have reported pops on optical toslink when changing sample rates, but I don't change sample rates, so I haven't encountered it yet.

Yes, they are aware as I originally emailed just SMSL support, not ShenzhenAudio support:

View attachment 219096
Thank you for your detailed reply. I just have to wait for their update. Happy

WhyNotHad

I've always wondered about this function(SC), too. I found a user's subjective review. I mean it's just what he felt and doesn't represent everything about this function. Read it please (SMSL M200 DAC)
-----------

I've been asking SMSL for a bit and scouring the internet for an explanation. From my ears I get:
  1. SC1= FLAT? Their neutral?
  2. SC2 = Expanded vocals, mids/highs.
  3. SC3 = Tube emulation? Echo distorting + low end seems to have a slight more impact. Kinda sounds like SC1 with bit of echo at the end.

DS Filters? LOL can't hear the difference unfortunately. I can't tell if I am just not listening careful enough but after about 5 mins fiddling around with it, couldn't bother with it.

If anyone can explain accurately with numbers, that'd would be cool.

SMSL FB support replied with:
The sound color is design for the Akm 4497, it hard to explain the sound.
It is hard to name a sound.
You can choose the tone according to your preference, but it is difficult for me to name it, it is designed according to akm chip, if the name needs to be named by akm company

Disappointing.

--------------

It seems to be all about tones or somethin

Top Bottom