• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ah so you make up fun theories and it's on us to disprove them? Very scientific.
Since you liked my reaction pic so much, here's one more for you:
663q5o.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

TMeister

So I found this DAC available on Shenzhen Audio website. But I couldn't find any comments on its performance or use:

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...khz-32-bit-dsd512-decoder-with-remote-control

It seem to offer an interesting mix of features and a low price. I also could not find it on SMSL website (because AKM issues maybe?)

Any owners around here?
Arrived yesterday. Shipping from China took awhile. (APOS) I use this Dac with a cambridge cxa60. Cd transport, RPi streamer, and computer. I had an older Smsl dac which I like except the remote is balky. The newer remote with this dac solves the problem. Everything works smoothly. Sound at least as good as my Topping D50s. Very happy with it.

carlcamper

Arrived yesterday. Shipping from China took awhile. (APOS) I use this Dac with a cambridge cxa60. Cd transport, RPi streamer, and computer. I had an older Smsl dac which I like except the remote is balky. The newer remote with this dac solves the problem. Everything works smoothly. Sound at least as good as my Topping D50s. Very happy with it.
What input are you using? Are you hearing any clicks after about 5 seconds of no music?

carlcamper

I found a workaround to the usb pop/click issue. I use the Topping D10 Balanced's optical out to the SMSL D-6's optical in.

20220714_155906.jpg

NV3S

I am using USB input (Raspberry Pi running Moode), RCA output (amplifier), never found click/pop. i would like to see the PrX/working mode settings of you guys, i am using Prd mode.

carlcamper

I am using USB input (Raspberry Pi running Moode), RCA output (amplifier), never found click/pop. i would like to see the PrX/working mode settings of you guys, i am using Prd mode.
Yup I'm also using Prd. I think it only affects balanced out though.

carlcamper

Oh yeah, I was using the balanced TRS output too
Can you try it on an android phone or windows pc? Also if you have a more sensitive headphone/IEM, as the click noise is subtle.

RimaLV2

Can you try it on an android phone or windows pc? Also if you have a more sensitive headphone/IEM, as the click noise is subtle.
I already returned it, unfortunately. I do not use my computer continuously so I heard that noise every 20-30 minutes which is unbearable. If they release a firmware that fixes the issue I'll gladly jump back to it. I'm on E50 temporarily but I do like the sound of D-6 (Go well with XS) a little bit more and like $100 cheaper, although technically the E50 is better

carlcamper

I already returned it, unfortunately. I do not use my computer continuously so I heard that noise every 20-30 minutes which is unbearable. If they release a firmware that fixes the issue I'll gladly jump back to it. I'm on E50 temporarily but I do like the sound of D-6 (Go well with XS) a little bit more and like $100 cheaper, although technically the E50 is better
Oops sorry, meant to ask @NV3S and @alpha_logic , as they don't seem to have the issue. They might be using the RCA only as well.

Pojjo73

Hello , found this very interesting to read about the differences between Balanced vs Unbalanced. I always use unbalanced btw

Read , reflect and decide for yourself

ps : awaiting the test results of the SMSL D-6 , it's on my wishlist

carlcamper

Hello , found this very interesting to read about the differences between Balanced vs Unbalanced. I always use unbalanced btw

Read , reflect and decide for yourself

ps : awaiting the test results of the SMSL D-6 , it's on my wishlist
I use fully balanced whenever possible for potentially more EQ headroom and to prevent crosstalk. Otherwise, sound quality should be indistinguishable.

carlcamper

Tnx, are you using the RCA unbalanced output or TRS balanced output?

Strompel

I have been using the dac for a while now and I did not get clicks and pops with optical/toslink connection.
I tested it then with one source (optical out tv) so might be it has that on other sample rates/devices.

As for usb I do get the soft clicks after not playing anything for a while and when playing something again.

I also get clicks/pops at the change of the sample rate of the audio file that is playing. Using foobar for playback and tested with dsd, flac, wav, mp3.

I get this with rca and trs output. Both the same.

Other then that I like the device and enjoy the sound. Everything is working stable and besides the click/pop at sample rate change it plays everything without any pop/clicks in music and video.

Last edited:

DACslut

My D-6 is arriving next week and will replace a Sabaj D5 if I'm happy with it. I hope this DAC swap will result in a noticeably upgraded listening experience and also the addition of HD Bluetooth is a desired feature as well. I didn't bother comparing their measurement specs but I'm quite familiar with the D5's sound signature as well as the lore of how an AKM chipset is suppose to differ from ESS. Has anyone here replaced their ESS DAC for an AKM or vice-versa without any regrets?

carlcamper

My D-6 is arriving next week and will replace a Sabaj D5 if I'm happy with it. I hope this DAC swap will result in a noticeably upgraded listening experience and also the addition of HD Bluetooth is a desired feature as well. I didn't bother comparing their measurement specs but I'm quite familiar with the D5's sound signature as well as the lore of how an AKM chipset is suppose to differ from ESS. Has anyone here replaced their ESS DAC for an AKM or vice-versa without any regrets?
Directly comparing the Topping D10 Balanced vs the SMSL D-6 DACs on a Topping A90 Discrete amp, I find the D6 just a touch warmer, which suits my Audeze LCD-XC 2021. This is all subjective of course, so YMMV.

Top Bottom