• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

alpha_logic

I must have a defective unit, because with toslink when the hi res songs change resolution there is a very loud pop. This is with Wiim and Amazon Hd. With USB it doesn’t happen.
Honestly, I think that's a WIIM problem rather than a problem with the DAC - you can try replacing it, and I think you should, but chances are it'll do the same.

alpha_logic

So, I like this DAC so much I'll leave it plugged into my desktop reference system, where it will replace my desktop-daily-driver, a VMV D1SE - for a few weeks. The D-6 is audibly transparent, it doesn't have 'a sound', and that's just fine with me. What did surprise me though is the 'dynamic slam' this unit has, which is far above what I usually hear with DACs at this price range. My Dynaudio Evoke 20's are getting a real workout : )

vrobec

I think i will buy d-6 instead of su-6. The sanskrit 10th mkii will go to well deserved retirement. I hope d-6 will be a step up comparing to sk10 mkii.

NV3S

So, I like this DAC so much I'll leave it plugged into my desktop reference system, where it will replace my desktop-daily-driver, a VMV D1SE - for a few weeks. The D-6 is audibly transparent, it doesn't have 'a sound', and that's just fine with me. What did surprise me though is the 'dynamic slam' this unit has, which is far above what I usually hear with DACs at this price range. My Dynaudio Evoke 20's are getting a real workout : )
Yes, I think it is a good choice as an entry level from an intuitive listening experience

kostake2011

Hi all. Also ordered D-6, waiting for delivery. I plan to use JBL 305mk2. And via USB to PC

rob755

Forum Donor
I've had one for a week or so now and Really like it! I've used many fine units, some Quite pricey. They come and go and I'll never quit playing around... but this is a heck of a bargain and a keeper for now... The only problem is I also get clicks/pops type noises with tune changes. I'm using dedicated Roon Nuc with a microrendu via usb. I noticed the one fellow that says he gets no noises. Anyone else getting no clicks etc.? That said I am using it as a pre and not high volume setting on the D-6 itself, that I'm sure helps keep it manageble...not a full deal breaker for me.

alpha_logic

I've had one for a week or so now and Really like it! I've used many fine units, some Quite pricey. They come and go and I'll never quit playing around... but this is a heck of a bargain and a keeper for now... The only problem is I also get clicks/pops type noises with tune changes. I'm using dedicated Roon Nuc with a microrendu via usb. I noticed the one fellow that says he gets no noises. Anyone else getting no clicks etc.? That said I am using it as a pre and not high volume setting on the D-6 itself, that I'm sure helps keep it manageble...not a full deal breaker for me.
https://support.audient.com/hc/en-u...y-are-there-clicks-when-I-change-sample-rate-

Could also be a buffer under/over-flow problem with your specific device(s), try using larger/smaller buffers, if you can.

EDIT: In fact, a bufferunderflow would make sense - while the streaming device is trying to switch to a higher samplerate, the buffer on the streaming device could underflow, resulting in a pop or click. I can simulate that behaviour using Plex, and fronting it with an nginx proxy, with proxy_buffer_size set to a very restrictive low buffer size.

Last edited:

landshark

This is what I experienced as well, wiim via toslink. I found keeping the DAC volume low while the source volume full helped but if the DAC was full volume and source was low the click/pop was unbearable.

rob755

Forum Donor
Yes, alpha_logics post would seem to be correct for sure. I get no clicks or any noises when I just listen
to a full album or something at the same
sample rate. It is when it is changing sample rates between Qobuz and Tidal etc. when the light clicks occur. Thanks!

kostake2011

And the firmware of these five can not be corrected? Muted transistors can be detected when changing the frequency, if they are of course. Maybe it's worth writing in SMS to fix the firmware?
PS: sorry for my english, this is google translate

carlcamper

I'm encountering the same clicking noise on USB input after 5 seconds of audio inactivity, and again when audio starts playing back. I've emailed SMSL support and will let you know if I receive feedback.

Last edited:

RimaLV2

Same clicking noise on USB input too. I returned the D-6 for now and bought E50. Will come back to D-6 if SMSL update their firmware to fix this

tiramisu

Cheaper than the Topping E50 and has Bluetooth and an internal power supply.
Any quality measures for this box yet?

alpha_logic

Screenshot of a disassembled SMSL D-6; there's a surprising amount of capacitance built into the circuit, I attribute the ample amount of 'dynamic slam' and base extension to this capacitance.

smsl_d-6_inside.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
Love the snarky pic. Tell me why I'm wrong then.
DACs work with a load impedance of at least 2kΩ. Often >10kΩ.
A 4Vrms 20Hz signal into 2.5kΩ will produce 6.4mW RMS or 1.6mA RMS.
You think you need any kind of beefy power supply design with lots of capacitance to sustain that?

That's a prime example of correlation not causation imo.

Last edited:

alpha_logic

DACs work with a load impedance of at least 2kΩ. Often >10kΩ.
A 4Vrms 20Hz signal into 2.5kΩ will produce 6.4mW RMS or 1.6mA RMS.
You think you need any kind of beefy power supply design with lots of capacitance to sustain that?

That's a prime example of correlation not causation imo.
Fair enough. I don't understand then why you would post a pic of Samuel Johnson - a literary giant, well known figure in the field of English Literature - to illustrate the concept of 'correlation, not causation', which incidentally is a concept Johnson understood very well.

OK, so what purpose then do these 4 capacitors serve, if not to charge and discharge power, when needed?

alpha_logic

Power supply filtering probably, to get rid of ripple and noise.
In other words supplying a steady amount of power (under load). OK, I'll maintain that adding capacitance to the circuit will improve dynamic swings and bass extension, since they supply power without any voltage/current/power phase lag. You might know of measurements that prove the opposite, feel free to share.

Top Bottom