• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

alpha_logic

For anyone interested, here are the implemented PCM filters; the ordering may or may not correspond to the 'FL1-6' settings on the dac, reading from top to bottom:

Screenshot_20220706_162730.png

carlcamper

alpha_logic

Thanks, whats the default?
Good question - I have no clue - I took the PCM filters from the AKM Datasheet. I ordered a D-6, should arrive Friday - once I have it I should be able to figure out which filter is the default. This looks like a really interesting DAC btw, might be an even better value than the SU-6. I like dual AKM designs, the Topping D70s - also a dual AKM design - remains one of the best DACs I ever owned.

Last edited:

RimaLV2

Thanks, whats the default?
Filter 1 is the default filter (Sharp Roll-off filter)

Another interesting piece from the datasheet - applies to the 'Sound Quality' setting SC 1-4 on the device:

View attachment 216836
I'm interested in the tone-setting too. The D-6 has 4 tones from SC1->SC4 but the manual and the extra information they gave NV3S did not mention what is the name of the tones (SC1,SC2,SC3,SC4) so I stick with SC1

Strompel

SMSL doesn't have a dedicated product page up for this DAC yet - you can use the the SU-6 driver, which uses the same XMOS chipset, and should work with the D-6

Thank you! Will check those out. SMSL also said that the product page should be there later this day.

carlcamper

landshark

I just received a smsl d6 and am streaming Amazon hd from a Wiim via toslink. The pop between songs is so loud that this unit is unusable. I will be returning and looking for other options. Really disappointed because it seemed like would be quite the dac for the money.

Last edited:

alpha_logic

I just received a smsl d6 and am streaming Amazon hd from a Wiim via toslink. The pop between songs is so loud that this unit is unusable. I will be returning and looking for other options. Really disappointed because it seemed like would be quite the dac for the money.
Sorry to hear that, I would have tried a different cable first. I'll get mine tomorrow, and I will test the toslink connection.

Veri

Master Contributor
DAC with AKM chip are more prone to this pop issue than ESS Sabre powered ones. Which output are you using, single ended I presume? Not balanced TRS?

Strompel

I just received a smsl d6 and am streaming Amazon hd from a Wiim via toslink. The pop between songs is so loud that this unit is unusable. I will be returning and looking for other options. Really disappointed because it seemed like would be quite the dac for the money

Do you have the option to test it with other sources? I just tested the toslink connection. Tested it connected through sony bravia tv toslink out. Used Xbox series s and a pc using windows 10 through hdmi output on nvidia video card. And I am not getting any pops. Maybe it is because of the Sony TV, because basically connection stays the same no matter the source. Some more devices should be tested but I have no other at the moment.

landshark

I tried another Toslink cable with same results, didn't have this issue with a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII.

landshark

Seems to be when the Wiim switches resolution between songs, there is a noticeable pause then loud pop once it’s applied.

After some testing this morning, something that helped was to set the Wiim to full volume output and just control volume via DAC. Problem didn't go away but made a big difference, I'd consider it an acceptable result.

Last edited:

NV3S

Seems to be when the Wiim switches resolution between songs, there is a noticeable pause then loud pop once it’s applied.

After some testing this morning, something that helped was to set the Wiim to full volume output and just control volume via DAC. Problem didn't go away but made a big difference, I'd consider it an acceptable result.
try to set the Prd mode?

alpha_logic

I tried another Toslink cable with same results, didn't have this issue with a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII.
I've read somewhere on this forum that there's a supply problem with transceiver chips such as the AK4118, and that the latest DACs ship with cheaper, less capable transceiver chips, thus resulting in poor performance with optical/coax connections. The Topping D90se would be one example; looking at the published specs for this DAC, and the problem you're reporting, this DAC might be another poor implementation. Could also be specific to WIIM/Amazon HD /higher bitrates, I would expect everything to work with 16/44.1 material.

Last edited:

alpha_logic

Just got this unit today. Verified toslink, coax and usb inputs - no problems whatsoever. This is a very good DAC by any standard, and at this price point it's outrageously good.

vrobec

Just got this unit today. Verified toslink, coax and usb inputs - no problems whatsoever. This is a very good DAC by any standard, and at this price point it's outrageously good.
That means no pops and clicks between songs on usb input?

alpha_logic

That means no pops and clicks between songs on usb input?
No - nothing - no pops, clicks or anything out of the ordinary, using either Deadbeef playlists with bitmatched playback on different samplerates, or streaming through Plex. Just works.

landshark

I must have a defective unit, because with toslink when the hi res songs change resolution there is a very loud pop. This is with Wiim and Amazon Hd. With USB it doesn’t happen.

Top Bottom