• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

yllanos

Last edited by a moderator:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
More here too:

AKM tends to sound more "melow", while ESS more "harsh".

I still want to see a review here.

OP
yllanos

yllanos

I think I'm going to buy one soon, just to try it out. It ticks a lot of checks in my book. In fact, the only thing it misses is an on/off switch on the back...

Gradius

I think I'm going to buy one soon, just to try it out. It ticks a lot of checks in my book. In fact, the only thing it misses is an on/off switch on the back...
Well, the thing only consumes less than 0.1W (standby)... so I don't see the point.

Btw, is super easy to mod the power cable and add a power on/off switch on it.

I'll only buy after couple reviews, specially from amirm or wolf.

MCH

Major Contributor
Might be the cheapest balanced dac with volume knob and remote? If the measurements are confirmed could become the go to cheap option...

JSmith

Master Contributor
Sorry but that is simply not true... please, don't supply misguided information.
So I found this DAC available on Shenzhen Audio website.
Literally looks like this was released 8/9 hours ago, produced under license by Shenzhenaudio. You may be interested in the info here;

b90556218b9f8cb81270a3a1230a01a6.jpg

JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Then you haven't read enough.
Please clarify this unusual assertion... I've obviously read people making such claims, but still no solid blind A/B results. Do you have any to post?

It's really unhelpful when a member is seeking advice and people post unsubstantiated FUD in the form of a one line throw away comment.

JSmith

Gradius

Please clarify this unusual assertion... I've obviously read people making such claims, but still no solid blind A/B results. Do you have any to post?

It's really unhelpful when a member is seeking advice and people post unsubstantiated FUD in the form of a one line throw away comment.

I have test both ICs from different DAC brands, and I can confirm those finders. It can be FUD for you, but you will not change my opinion.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I can confirm those finders
Great, so can you share your findings, test methodology and controls used with the membership?
... providing same will clear up uncertainty and doubt. Then others can attempt to replicate your results.

JSmith

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I have test both ICs from different DAC brands, and I can confirm those finders. It can be FUD for you, but you will not change my opinion.
OK you are not new here, so you should know this by now. This is a Science Based, facts first type of Forumn. When someone makes performance claims like you did in this thread. Your going to get challenged by other Members to provide proof/evidence to back up your claims. So here we are with you making the Subjective statement:

If you have any supporting Measurement data or Controlled Listener Study data to share to support your claims now is the time to post it. Otherwise, simply state for the readers, that your above quoted statements reflects your personal opinion of the performance of these DAC/Chips.

In the future be prepared to scientifically defend your generalized value statements here or clearly state that what you are saying is your personal opinion/experience and not science based. Thank you for your understanding and anticipated reply.

OP
yllanos

yllanos

Well, the thing only consumes less than 0.1W (standby)... so I don't see the point.
I do. I live in a third world country, specifically in an area where power is unreliable and low quality. I prefer to have an physical emergency shut off just in case there are constant blips on energy supply. I guess we all have different needs/usage.

Anyway, at that price range I wouldn't matter to try it out for quality. I'm getting my stereo system upgraded and this might be the perfect stepping stone... until I get to a better DAC a couple years from now while maintaining low cost.

Overseas

Major Contributor
More here too:

I still want to see a review here.
My experience is the other way round, regarding the subjective sound Ess vs AK.

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
I am also looking for this DAC as I want max pure DAC performance for the money, no need for MQA, headphone or preamp function. I experienced ESS implementation in my Yamaha amp and it is very ok.

cheapmessiah

How is this that much cheaper than the DO100?

Looks interesting, i dont need it, but having a DAC with SE/BAL output might be useful since I have a couple of amps, plus the BT and remote conectivity make it very atractive.

Oh, 2 prong AC plug, dont know if thats relevant for the balanced operation of the DAC.

Top Bottom