• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

NV3S

Are you able to test Bluetooth on it and check whether if there's a second or so starting lag when playing an audio stream on the transmit side?

Its happens on the DO100 and its annoying enough that I swapped back to the Topping D50s for speakers on Bluetooth duty.
I tested it and it did not appear on the D-6's Bluetooth mode, I tried AppleMuisc and Spotify and neither felt the lag to when cutting songs.I recorded a video, so maybe I can show it sometime.
The only thing I found that had an impact here was download speed/download response, AppleMusic I chose Hi-Res Lossless, and while Bluetooth mode doesn't push with it, it needs to download Hi-Res Lossless/Lossless to this device to buffer it a bit before pushing the stream, on some songs, especially in less CDN friendly regions, there may be a hint of loading lag, which is not encountered on Spotify.

NV3S

Thanks for the reminder. Removed it after taking pictures. Tomorrow I plan to contact the manufacturer for some more detailed instructions.
The manufacturer has updated the electronic manual to provide additional setup instructions. As previously speculated, PrX is the output mode setting, which allows for three modes of adjustment.

Attachments

• 20220629110335.png
    20220629110335.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 358

rootmax

The manufacturer has updated the electronic manual to provide additional setup instructions. As previously speculated, PrX is the output mode setting, which allows for three modes of adjustment.
thank you so much for the valuable information ... I have the Topping E30 that turns on by itself when it "hears" that I turn on the USB streamer or the Toslink TV .... does the D-6 also turn on by itself? Thank you

NV3S

thank you so much for the valuable information ... I have the Topping E30 that turns on by itself when it "hears" that I turn on the USB streamer or the Toslink TV .... does the D-6 also turn on by itself? Thank you
No, it is not such a “next generation product”…

sunnyboy

SMSL D-6 运算放大器是否使用与 SMSL SU-6 相同的 4 片 OPA1612?

carlcamper

Just ordered this! I'll be comparing it to my Topping D10 Balanced, together with the Topping A90 Discrete, which is arriving today!

Anyone have any more info on the new AK4493SEQ chip?

Edit: Found this so far:

qachi

Has anyone seen any news regarding a matching headphone amp to pair the D-6 with? (perhaps "DH-6"?)

carlcamper

Has anyone seen any news regarding a matching headphone amp to pair the D-6 with? (perhaps "DH-6"?)
So far, I've only seen the DA-6, which is the matching Power Amplifier.

carlcamper

Not really, DA-6 is the matching amp for SU-6 DAC.
Noted. I just saw the joint reference to their launch in this article, and assumed as much.

Zek

Major Contributor
Same design, same case...
1656921078450.png

SH-6 is a headphone amplifier, not a speaker amplifier. ;)

Reactions: san

vrobec

Thinking about replacing SMSL Sanskrit10 MKII with this DAC. Worth?

RimaLV2

My Topping L50 and D-6 from Aliexpress just arrived. I could tell the combo is better than my DX3+ already. Another E50 Dac will arrive today just so I could make a comparison of the D-6 and E50 :D

Strompel

My SMSL D-6 arrived today. I paired it with the smsl H100 that I bought a few weeks before. Connected with trs to xlr and connected the rca output to a small class d power amp. All works well. But I want to install the driver for xmos in windows 10. But I can't find the model on the smsl website.

Where can I find these drivers?

alpha_logic

My SMSL D-6 arrived today. I paired it with the smsl H100 that I bought a few weeks before. Connected with trs to xlr and connected the rca output to a small class d power amp. All works well. But I want to install the driver for xmos in windows 10. But I can't find the model on the smsl website.

Where can I find these drivers?
SMSL doesn't have a dedicated product page up for this DAC yet - you can use the the SU-6 driver, which uses the same XMOS chipset, and should work with the D-6

alpha_logic

Just ordered this! I'll be comparing it to my Topping D10 Balanced, together with the Topping A90 Discrete, which is arriving today!

Anyone have any more info on the new AK4493SEQ chip?

Edit: Found this so far:
Great video, thanks for sharing.

If I'm not mistaken, the takeway is that AKM claims the following improvements in this current 'Velvet Sound' implementation over the previous generation chips:

1) Optimization of signal and noise path impedance, resulting in better dynamics and decreased power consumption.
2) Changed 'Noise Distribution', which based on what Seiko Nakamato says about 'different kinds of noise, some not so unpleasant', seems to mean that they suppressed and/or elevated even/odd order harmonics, resulting in - Quote - '...audible noise characteristics [that] are even better than before.' - End Quote

Last edited:
Top Bottom