• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on Revel M8 speakers?

utkarshb

Hey, I originally sent this message as a DM to Amir. He suggested that I should be posting this in the Forums as well. I know this community is super helpful and knowledgable, but I was just holding back because I am a super new user.
I will copy pasta the original message I sent to him in quotes as that is the most accurate description of the dilemma I am in.
Hoping to get a few responses from all of you.

"
Hey. Did you ever go around finishing your analysis on the M8SP5 test.
Do you recommend it?
I am making my first system, and looking for some niceties.
I am in Indian market, and hence the American pricing and discounts does not apply to me.
These are being offered to me at a price point of Rs 132952 (almost 1787$). We don't have a great used market, also the older generation stuff is not available, for example, Denon X3600H is not available in here.
I am willing to spend almost Rs 200000, which should be about USD 2689.
As far as Demo goes, not many options are available. I mean, I went to a store, and they only had M8SP5 on Demos, along with JBL A100P subwoofer, which was underwhelming honestly. All this was paired to an Arcam receiver. So it's pretty limited.
All I am looking for is a 5.1 system as of now. I want it to long very last, say almost 10 years when it comes to AVR.
I will tell you the quotation I got from one of the dealers. He promises that it is the best they can do, and I won't be able to find anything better than what they are offering in terms of price anywhere else within India.
I was pretty impressed with M8SP5, but maybe that was because I have never experienced home cinema before, and all I have ever used are the TV speakers.
I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I do expect spectacular sound from my system. The definition of Spectacular sound is variable ofcourse, but you do get the point. I need something which will make me really appreciate Audio engineering as an art.
Denon X2700H was quoted at Rs 68530, which is USD 921$.
Denon X3700H was quoted at Rs 109130, which is USD 1467$.
JBL A120P subwoofer was quoted at Rs 29250, which is USD 393$.
Revel B1 subwoofer was quoted at Rs 61417, which is USD 826$.

Please help me out if you can. It will mean a lot to me.

Other systems I have seen on paper are, Q Acoustics 3030i, 3090c, 3020i, along with some subwoofer and avr.
SVS Prime satellite system 5.1 package thing with some avr.
Jamo S803 HCS, with some avr and sub.
Pro Cinema 6D, with some avr.
JBL A series.

I am honestly lost here.
The price/value balance is really lost in the Indian market, and whatever direction I go, it feels like a rip off.

Please please take a look into this, and let me know other people who I can talk to regarding this.

I hold your analysis and recommendations to a very high standard, and this community has been great.
Please point me in a good direction.
"

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Regarding speakers:
Like with any speakers, without seeing spinorama (CEA-2034), it's hard to predict speaker performance (with the exception of a few companies like Genelec, Neumann, etc).
So if Revel M8 speaker is on your list, then I would wait patiently for the review.

Of the other speakers mentioned:
"Other systems I have seen on paper are, Q Acoustics 3030i, 3090c, 3020i, along with some subwoofer and avr.
JBL A series."

My 1st choice: JBL A130.
Review.
1625118998670.png

2nd/3rd choice:
Q Acoustics 3020i
review
1625119274195.png

2nd/3rd choice:
Q Acoustics 3030i
review
1625119311006.png

Regarding AVRs:
The model I recommend if you can afford it, is the Denon X3500H or X3600H or X3700H, which have Audyssey MultEQ XT32. This is state of the art digital room correction, which is way better than Audyssey MultEQ XT, that all lower models have (models like X1500H, X1600H, X2500H, X2600H, X2700H, etc). All models above this (ex. X4400H, X4500H, X4700H and so on) have this too, but cost higher, with the benefit of more channel processing.

Amir reviewed the following Denon:
X3500H
X3600H
X3700H
X4700H
As you can see, they're all recommended.
So any of these will suit your needs. Although, seeing how you're looking for 8K support...only the latest models would be needed.

In the states, you can get X3700 for 1300 USD which is approx => 96675 INR, so the fact that you can get it for 12% over the US price makes it a good deal IMO.

Regarding subs:
Take a look at my 'subwoofer comparison' spreadsheet to find a subwoofer. Most budget subs have weak performance, and until you get to US$500 price point (SVS comes to mind), is where subs start to make sense, at least for home theater setups.
If I were in your shoes, I would beg/borrow/steal a SVS subwoofer by any means necessary. Even an older generation like PB-1000 (non-pro) should suffice, for a budget build.

OP
U

utkarshb

Regarding speakers:
Like with any speakers, without seeing spinorama (CEA-2034), it's hard to predict speaker performance (with the exception of a few companies like Genelec, Neumann, etc).
So if Revel M8 speaker is on your list, then I would wait patiently for the review.

Of the other speakers mentioned:
"Other systems I have seen on paper are, Q Acoustics 3030i, 3090c, 3020i, along with some subwoofer and avr.
JBL A series."

Review.

2nd/3rd choice:
Q Acoustics 3020i
review

2nd/3rd choice:
Q Acoustics 3030i
review

Regarding AVRs:

In the states, you can get X3700 for 1300 USD which is approx => 96675 INR, so the fact that you can get it for 12% over the US price makes it a good deal IMO.

Regarding subs:
Take a look at my 'subwoofer comparison' spreadsheet to find a subwoofer. Most budget subs have weak performance, and until you get to US$500 price point (SVS comes to mind), is where subs start to make sense, at least for home theater setups.
If I were in your shoes, I would beg/borrow/steal a SVS subwoofer by any means necessary. Even an older generation like PB-1000 (non-pro) should suffice, for a budget build.

Hey, thankyou for such a quick reply.
So, talking of patience on the Revels, the thing is, I will have to make a decision sooner than later, because it was extremely difficult for me to get them to dip so much. Hence I was looking for some initial impressions. I mean this would be a rig I will have no comparison to in the first place, and second, it is going to last me a very long time, think 10-15 years. I was able to get a demo for the JBL Stage A170 tower speakers as well, and honestly, they were underwhelming, albeit, they were not in the proper 5.1 configuration, and all I heard was a stereo thing.
I don't have much time on this decision because the deal will go off my plate if I don't decide soon enough.
I understand nobody will be able to tell me anything without some proper metrics. I totally get it.

I understand your point about the receivers, and I will surely consider X3700H. I did try and take a look for older X3600H, but they are not available, as they are not very much in demand in here, hence they are procured on order basis. Stuck with "latest" models only.
One thing the dealer promises on is that they are not coming equipped with the newer processors which does not have 4k/120 bug anymore, and everything works as intended. Not like I was gonna use them as of now, but the peace of mind is always there. I am using a Full HD 55" display as of now btw.

I will try and get the SVS. Honestly I am madly looking for it.
The problem in Indian market is, they are not willing to tell me the pricing, or even sell these things to me as a per part basis. They insist on making the whole solution thing. They want you to buy everything from them, and then only they will sell.
Still I will try my luck and try to find some good pricing with them.

As for the revels, I mean, if I do end up buying the, my only closure would be to stop looking for it's reviews and charts whenever they come out. Maybe if I let them remain a mystery as to how good they are, they might sound better to me, at least subconsciously. I have noticed once I buy something, and then read about it, the flaws actually speaks to me afterwards.

Thankyou for the effort, and taking out the time for me to reply to my post.

Waiting for a few more comments, specially with someone who have had chance to listen to these, or maybe actually using them in his/her setup.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
If you want your system to last at least 10 years (as you said), don't rush and take your time in deciding. There are plenty of options.

For example, you can get the ELAC DBR-62 which a few people on ASR have bought and are very pleased. Combine them with a decent AVR and a sub and you have a great 2.1 solution. You can complete your system with surround and center speakers later down the line.

OP
U

utkarshb

If you want your system to last at least 10 years (as you said), don't rush and take your time in deciding. There are plenty of options.

For example, you can get the ELAC DBR-62 which a few people on ASR have bought and are very pleased. Combine them with a decent AVR and a sub and you have a great 2.1 solution. You can complete your system with surround and center speakers later down the line.

I agree with your thoughts 100%.
That's what my thinking was when I was starting out.
The only issue I am facing is, at my home, a big purchase like this happens only once. So that means, no further expenditure on this system is going to happen. Not for the next 5 years atleast. I 100% resonate with your thinking in here.

Sure I will take my time in deciding. Also I will take a look at the speaker you mentioned.
Again, my only gripe is, the dealer deals with Harman, and Bose lol. So to try and find a good price for everything else is extremely difficult. MSRP for audio in here is insane, and 90% of the time, they sell for the MSRP only. They might get some casual irrelevant discounts here and there, but then that's it haha. In terms of USD, see 5$-6$ discounts at max.

Thanks for your input sir, I really appreciate it. I will take a look and think more on what you said.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
You are welcome.

Well, if this is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase / upgrade as you say, then please consider getting a great 2.1 system, rather than an average to mediocre 5.1 system.

I own a 5.1 speaker system, the B&W MT-25, paired with an entry-level Denon AVR. In the beginning, the 5-ch experience was amazing. With time, I found that I don't really use the extra channels, as I don't really watch action movies with lots of sound effects. The movies I usually watch sound great with 2 speakers as well. The same goes for TV programs, news, sports, whatever. Two speakers are enough.
And for music, you will find that 90% of the available music out there is recorded in two channels, so two speakers are enough.

My point being that a good 2.1 system will have you covered for many years, even as you age and your tastes in movies and music change.

Good luck with your search.

OP
U

utkarshb

You are welcome.

Well, if this is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase / upgrade as you say, then please consider getting a great 2.1 system, rather than an average to mediocre 5.1 system.

I own a 5.1 speaker system, the B&W MT-25, paired with an entry-level Denon AVR. In the beginning, the 5-ch experience was amazing. With time, I found that I don't really use the extra channels, as I don't really watch action movies with lots of sound effects. The movies I usually watch sound great with 2 speakers as well. The same goes for TV programs, news, sports, whatever. Two speakers are enough.
And for music, you will find that 90% of the available music out there is recorded in two channels, so two speakers are enough.

My point being that a good 2.1 system will have you covered for many years, even as you age and your tastes in movies and music change.

Good luck with your search.

Wow thanks.
I really never thought of it that way.
Yes you are right when you say that the type of content consumption should be taken into consideration as well.
Well as fas as my usage goes, it should be 90% movies, and maybe 10% music, with a huge maybe.
I will follow your suggestion. :)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Based on the ASR approach my subjective thoughts are very secondary to the testing. Since the M8 has not been tested and I have used it for a short time I will non-the-less say the following.
While I could enjoy them if I went to a friends to enjoy some tunes or a movie, no way they qualified for me as a long term purchase.
Unfortunately they did not sound "clean" to me in the midrange when directly compared with speakers that have measured very well here. The treble was somewhat unrefined as well, it just didn't sound great even compared with the much less expensive Infinity R line.
They have no bass as specified and absolutely require a pair of subs.
I just really did not like them much, but I have lots of affordable options here.
I took in room measurements at the time but have since deleted them. From memory they were decent and a bit jagged here and there. I am not sure why the mids sounded congested to me, I did not investigate as I had limited time and had already vetoed the speakers.
All that said I am a music guy who has tried and owned many speakers but almost always with music, these may be just fine for home cinema.

You mentioned the JBL "A" series. Based on my memory (which is not a great idea) I liked the JBL A130 much more than the Revel M8. I did not directly compare them. In any case if size is not a factor I'd bet the "A" towers would really handle HT and music very well.

You are just starting out so maybe just about anything decent will work for you. Back when I got my first decent speakers that was all I needed to be very happy for several years. Eventually I got in the "hobby" of it and tried a lot of speakers and then realized that some speakers really did sound better to me than others in ways I do find important.
I mean ultimately listening is part of the process, not all well measuring speakers satisfy me the same amount.
Take the previously mentioned ELAC DBR-62, it measures well, nearly all positive subjective reviews out there as well - I did not care much for it. It was not crappy or anything, I found it was just a very boring lifeless speaker with a sound that did nothing for me at all. I never once tapped my toes if you know what I mean? Why that is I do not exactly know. No way I keep them long term when I have other options that I have found work better for me. The other two speakers I compared them with over a weekend both had me tapping my toes. My GF found the same exact thing. Who knows?

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
My problem with the DBR-62 is the ultra-wide dispersion throughout the whole midrange makes everything sound soft from excess reflective energy in a small/medium room. Coupled with the deep midrange dip and the present bass making them sound a bit slow, "boring" is an apt description from my persepective. I think they do fine with slower music though (again, in a small/medium room). Thankfully ELAC sent me the wrong color so I didn't have to feel bad about returning them. :)

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Another vote here for focusing on a good 2.1 system, even if movies are a significant use case. Although the Revel M8 hasn't been tested here its design and intent suggest it may prove insufficient for front L/R (in any arrangement), especially considering the desired duration of use at 5-10 years or more.

Of the others you mentioned I do have experience with the SVS prime satellites. While I love my SVS SB1000 I absolutely detested the prime satellites. The treble was so bright it was unbearable and if tested I'd expect distortion as well.

snackiac

I'm pretty curious to see a review of the M8s as well. I bought some for satellites to be paired with three KH80s and two SVS 3000s. This config sounds pretty amazing to me. On a whim I tried out the M8s as my mains, re-ran Audessey etc, used the suggested 110hz crossover, and bam they sounded really, really great to me. I have the subs up front in stereo config though, so there were no localization problems. I'm sure that's the critical component for these sounding good, so try to get those subs!

OP
U

utkarshb

Alright. I took up some time, and now, my equipment looks list looks like this.

Denon X3700H (Don't know whether the HDMI bug is fixed or no, my dealer says that the latest models in production are free from that bug, and I will get a perfectly fine working unit. Do we have any way to verify this claim?)

SVS PB1000 PRO

JBL A130 L/R and SL/SR

What centre do you suggest from the stage line up for this combo? A125C or the A135C? I am a bit inclined towards A125C based on Reddit comments.
What's your say on this.

For the front channel once, I can go a few steps higher as well in the stage lineup.

Please guide me through.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright. I took up some time, and now, my equipment looks list looks like this.

Denon X3700H (Don't know whether the HDMI bug is fixed or no, my dealer says that the latest models in production are free from that bug, and I will get a perfectly fine working unit. Do we have any way to verify this claim?)

SVS PB1000 PRO

JBL A130 L/R and SL/SR

What centre do you suggest from the stage line up for this combo? A125C or the A135C? I am a bit inclined towards A125C based on Reddit comments.
What's your say on this.

For the front channel once, I can go a few steps higher as well in the stage lineup.

Please guide me through.
Maybe the RC263 For a nice 3 way center?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/infinity-rc263-center-speaker-review.12442/

OP
U

utkarshb

Another question of mine is, in the official review, I saw Amir EQing the speakers for that little extra performance, how do I do that in the AVR?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the Timbre matching thingy? Will all this work together good?
Revel/JBL/Infinity are all Harman owned. While they all aren’t exactly the same, if you look at their estimated in room response they look similiar enough to me To be a good match. Others may have a different opinion, but a good speaker is a good speaker and would think they would play nice together.
In regards to EQ.. a simple fix would be a Denon AVR with the Audyssey app... EQ up to around 2K to fix that hump in the A130 response if you find it a problem when listening to it.

OP
U

utkarshb

Revel/JBL/Infinity are all Harman owned. While they all aren’t exactly the same, if you look at their estimated in room response they look similiar enough to me To be a good match. Others may have a different opinion, but a good speaker is a good speaker and would think they would play nice together.
Alright I hear you. It is a good proposition I think. Best of all the worlds? Good sub, good avr, good centre, and good mains and surrounds. From what I see, A130 is technically better than a R162, so I guess the JBLs are kind of an upgrade in the fronts as well?

OP
U

utkarshb

In any case if size is not a factor I'd bet the "A" towers would really handle HT and music very well.
Hey can you please go through the latest comments and let me know what you think of those? Are A130s good enough all around, or should I get the towers instead in the fronts?

Top Bottom