• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on power conditioners?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
It's way much easier to measure with a scope the AC ripple & noise at the DC power rails inside the DAC or amplifier. Basically, see how the DC rails look like when Device Under Test is powered from the wall outlet vs. the Power Conditioner.

If the scope will reveal any visible differences, then audio measurements might make sense, but otherwise nope.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I remember when an audiophile friend of mine got interested in power conditioners. I told him if you want to play that game (which is largely a complete and utter waste of time in most parts of the USA where we have excellent power regulation) then he should go back to the company that invented it namely Sola , and I got him a 1 kw Sola sine wave power conditioner. There are some good ones from Tripp Lite too.

The nice thing about Sola's is they have voltage regulation (although they need to be sized correctly for that to work correctly) and they have a huge transformer isolating your system (ie. the load) from the power line. They have enough isolation and iron to potentially stop a lightning strike (nothing will stop all lightning strikes if they are too close) as well as surges and line "hash". Their inductive rise time keeps the frequency at 60 Hz (or 50 on those models NOT interchangeable).

The Sola weighed about 60 or 70 pounds and he never plugged it in.
http://www.solahevidutysales.com/pdf/powerconditioners/cvs.pdf

Power conditioners aimed at audiophiles have MOV and gas discharge over voltage protection and may have some inductive rise time limiting.
They don't do anything for sags which is one of several reasons why the power supplies in audio gear feature their own regulation. It may be that Switching power supplies can handle sags better than the wonderful linear heavy things we are often enamored with.

Generally a surge protector is a good idea and that should be all you need. Audiophile cordsets, hospital and audio grade outlets, fuses, and power conditioners represent money that would be better spent elsewhere. Unless you have an essentially unlimited supply money, and also are very suggestible.

I have spent a great portion of my life in laboratories and hospitals and Solas were ubiquitous especially on spectrophotometers and similar analytical equipment where they wanted stable measurements. If I ever thought I would need regulation on my audio system I would not look anywhere else.

Another great thing about Sola's is that they are practically immortal and can be found surplus for almost free.

If you live out in the country where lightning strikes power lines and sends surges into your house then these are also reasonable to use. The computer server business probably uses them for this reason too. Many computer power supplies are multivoltage and regulate themselves very well.

Last edited:

thomasjast

Don't many of them have fans? I miss the days that I could buy a monster APC UPS with no fan. Today it is cheaper to put in tiny heatsinks and then put a fan in there.

I now buy Cyberpower UPS and they come in fanless versions thank heavens.

Exactly my thoughts. Fans in basic electrics and electronics need to go away in a hurry.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
[...]
The Sola weighed about 60 or 70 pounds and he never plugged it in.
http://www.solahevidutysales.com/pdf/powerconditioners/cvs.pdf

Power conditioners aimed at audiophiles have MOV and gas discharge over voltage protection and may have some inductive rise time limiting.
They don't do anything for sags which is one of several reasons why the power supplies in audio gear feature their own regulation. It may be that Switching power supplies can handle sags better than the wonderful linear heavy things we are often enamored with.

[...]

This SOLA costs about 4K USD and in most scenarios will not improve the sound. Every audio device might already have an isolation transformer inside (linear PSUs) and over 80dB ripple reduction linear regulators and CRC filters. We should not recommend a power conditioner to someone to improve the output sound of an audio device, instead we might recommend trying such device if noises appears on the headphones/speakers.

I am using isolation transformers and I only got small improvements in mains hum for few of my SMPS power supplies (on a headphone amplifier) and removed a ground loop on some DAC. But we should not generalize that using a power conditioner or isolation transformer will do any good to an audio system, unless the owners are really having issues (like ground loops, mains hum or strange AM noises on speakers).

These days there are several MOV & gas discharge devices costing less than 50 USD (one outlet only), same applies to more advanced active devices (AVR). There is also Hum-X to get rid of ground-loops too.

P.S.: In the attached picture you can see the gas discharge on the right-bottom, MOV + thermistor. Bachman_Surge_protector.JPG
There also the cheap Digitop protected outlet where you can manually adjust voltage thresholds: WP_20170129_13_56_24_Pro (1).jpgWP_20170129_13_55_55_Pro (1).jpgWP_20170129_13_54_27_Pro (1).jpg

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Having used them in industrial R&D and production situations, I'm NOT a fan of Sola transformers. They need to be continuously loaded to at least 50% of their rating and they run HOT. While they do what they are engineered to do, well designed hi-fi components don't need them.

gene_stl

Forum Donor
I guess I didn't make myself clear

When my friend got interested in power conditioners I got him a Sola because it was available to me at a friendly surplus place , essentially for free , which was generally the correct amount to invest in my friends case. He was using fairly decent amplflyers. I didn't want him to go out and dump a bunch of money on a moronic audiophile power conditioner.

The nice thing about Sola's is they have voltage regulation (although they need to be sized correctly for that to work correctly)
I believe I pointed out that they need to be sized correctly. If yours were putting out lots of heat maybe they weren't sized correctly. They are only supposed to dissipate a small amount of power. Maybe your feed was such that you really really needed them. I never had a problem with them running very hot. Particularly when compared to tube equipment (not just audio gear) or class A audio amps.

If a piece of equipment has power supply problems then it doesn't belong in my system. You don't need an isolation transformer to get rid of ground loops. If grounding chasis's and permutating plugs won't clear up the problem then some engineer didn't do his job correctly and I don't want gear like that. You should not have to add an isolation transformer for everything. (disclosure: I do not participate in headphone audio although that could change in the future)

I have always told anyone willing to listen that the whole power conditioning thing is in the same category as cables. If you believe in that stuff I have no interest in disturbing anyones' enjoyment. But if your gears power supply is so poorly designed that one of those things actually helps , then the correct action is to get better gear , not get a power conditioner.

All that said I think in this modern day and age it is very important to have lots and lots of surge protection to protect our everincreasingly computer operated lives. This became clear to me maybe ten years ago, when a pal of mine asked me to look at his wife's "Kenmore Elite" washing machine.
This machine was actually almost a thing of beauty. It had a gorgeous stainless steel tub and they had paid $1000 plus for it and a similar amount
for the matching dryer. His wife was a workaholic and only bought the best of everything. She had two Lexus (Lexi?) When I go there I discovered the computer system that operates the whole washer had developed what I call Alzheimers disease. That is the control panel would light up but in spite of every known trick attempted and resets performed it would not take key strokes on the buttons. Diagnosis: sick , unrepairable computer control board. Treatment: Replace same. Then there followed a bunch of arm twisting to sears to furnish the part for a reasonable price since the unit was just out of warranty.

After it was repaired I told my friend that the washer and dryer needed to be on a surge protector and that the whole house probably ought to be on one.

I don't know if a surge caused the problem. One think if many other problems ( It was probably an early example of RoHS circuit boards for example).

But I do recommend to friends overdoing surge protection and do so myself. There is no downside except a cost which is generally modest compared to the equipment protected. In the above example Sears wanted like $500 for the repair. We did get the price down but it took some application of guilt till we found someone who was susceptible to that strategy. Maybe that is why Sears is gone now.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
I believe I pointed out that they need to be sized correctly. If yours were putting out lots of heat maybe they weren't sized correctly. They are only supposed to dissipate a small amount of power.
To the contrary! The person that did the R&D instalation is the one of most skilled engineers I know.

flaviowolff

Would connecting a power amp to a surge protector with EMI / RFI filters degrade the sound? Most opinions are that amps should go directly to the wall, but I'm not sure if it's really true.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Would connecting a power amp to a surge protector with EMI / RFI filters degrade the sound? Most opinions are that amps should go directly to the wall, but I'm not sure if it's really true.
It's more about connecting thru the EMI/RFI filters than the surge protector part.

wwenze

Major Contributor

"Most opinions" are also that power cables are important. But the 10-year-old electrolytic capacitors aren't.

In the first place, people who can make that kind of statement "power amp should not go through EMI filter" are able to hear EMI filters changing the sound. And also able to identify good changes and bad changes, and conclude that EMI filter + DAC = good while EMI filter + amp = bad, when compared to just the DAC and amp themselves. Not minding that most DACs and amps have their own EMI filters inside nowadays.

Here's a food for thought: Considering the state of our manufacturing industry nowadays, things that are defective out of the box or just outside warranty period are very common.
Now, have you ever heard any people complaining that their power conditioner is spoilt and they had to send it in for repairs?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
In the first place, people who can make that kind of statement "power amp should not go through EMI filter" are able to hear EMI filters changing the sound.
Maybe they're thinking that a poorly designed filter would make things worse, I'm personally thinking to 2A filters powering 5A amplifiers, which I've seen it happening on some DYI forums (not proper coils for this filter).

However, such a filter is usually a good thing, not that it will actually change anything in the output sound, but getting rid of any possible high freq. noises that might come from the mains is definitely not bad.

wwenze

Major Contributor
When you overcurrent an inductor, it becomes less inductive at the higher currents. Prolonged heating can damage the insulation or core and reduce the inductance permanently. In this context it will make the filter behave less like a filter. But if the filter makes things worse, then wouldn't spoiling it make things better in a self-correcting mechanism?

Anyway, due to the reason above, do not undersize your filters if your goal is to actually filter stuff.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

One should realize that all class-D amps (and 'analog' amps using a switching power supply) have lots of mains filtering already on their input.
They have to otherwise they would not comply to regulations.

There are 1200W switched mode power supply amps. If filters were a problem they wouldn't work that well.
The biggest current limiter in all amps with a mains transformer is the transformer itself, not a 10A capable filter coil with just a few thick windings in the common mode coil.

The main frequencies that deliver power are 50/60 and 100/120Hz the existing harmonics do not contribute much to the power going into the smoothing caps.
Mains filters don't do anything below 10kHz anyway and usually there is no 'differential mode' energy above 1kHz.

The folks claiming 'dynamic compression' and hearing negative effects all have come to this conclusion using sighted tests (they know the filter is in there and are told it is sound degrading).

Show me pictures of the DC voltage on smoothing caps sagging measurably when a filter is in place and they can convince me filters are a 'real problem'.

All audio power comes out of the smoothing caps, not directly from mains. There is NO audio going through any mains cable.
Just some short duration and high current 'charging peaks' at the top and bottom of the mains 'sine wave'.

Last edited:

flaviowolff

Good to know!

I'd really apreciate some input about my setup below (im very insecure about electric stuff).

My surge protector is rated at 10A max current load and 1270W max power @ 127v (my country's operating voltage)
Max continuous operation tension: UC: 275 Vca / 350 Vcc
Max discharge current: IMAX: 4,5 kA @8 / 20 µs (L-L or L-N)
Total discharge current: ITOTAL: 9 kA
Open circuit tension: 6 kV
Typical response/delay time: 25 ns

- Power amp (mccormack dna 0.5) specs are as following:
Output Power: 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms, both channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz at less than 1% THD
Output Current: 25 Amps peak, per channel
Input Impedance: 100 Kohm Input Sensitivity: .850 Vrms
Voltage Gain: 30 dB
Frequency Response: - 3dB @ .5 Hz, 200 kHz
Signal-to-Noise: 100 dB
Harmonic Distortion (1 KHz, 8 ohm load): .05%
Signal Polarity ("Absolute Phase"): Non-Inverting
Power Consumption: 3.2 amps/400 Watts @ Clipping (8 ohms)
117VAC @ 60hz

- "Preamp" is a low powered minidsp 2x4hd (12v/300ma PSU)

- TV (LG 55B8) power consumption is 170W max @ 120v (1.4a?)

- Speakers are 4 ohm nominal with 86db sensitivity (totem rainmaker)

• So, should my mind be at ease connecting all these three equipment (amp, TV and minidsp) to the surge protector?
  • Bonus question: is a 10A power cord enough for the amp? It came with a stupidly thick 15A "high end" cord which I would love to sell and get me some reasonable 10a cord.

Thank you very much,

Last edited:

gene_stl

Forum Donor
Now, have you ever heard any people complaining that their power conditioner is spoilt and they had to send it in for repairs?
I have had, as well as seen, several that were blown up by lightning, here in the midWestern USA. Sometimes they protect the downstream equipment and sometimes not.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you have 127 V nominal voltage then surge protectors for 230V aren't really recommended.
The surge protector you are using is typical for 240V mains.

10A rated is average. Even when playing your amp at full power the average power drawn will be less than 250W for sure.
I would worry more about the incorrect voltage rating than the current rating.

I know we (the company I work for) is not allowed to deliver gear to the US with 275V over voltage protection.

flaviowolff

When you have 127 V nominal voltage then surge protectors for 230V aren't really recommended.
The surge protector you are using is typical for 240V mains.

10A rated is average. Even when playing your amp at full power the average power drawn will be less than 250W for sure.
I would worry more about the incorrect voltage rating than the current rating.

I know we (the company I work for) is not allowed to deliver gear to the US with 275V over voltage protection.

It’s rated for 127v/220v

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does it have a switch to select the proper overvoltage range ?
It is possible to build something (using a capacitor) that can work with a wider voltage range and only 'clip' the fast transients.
The specs, however, suggest a 20mm diameter 275V MOV is in there.
It needs to be 175V type but then it can only be used on 110-130V mains grids.

6kV peak voltage is also on the high side. AFAIK most commercial equipment is up to 4kV, industrial to 8kV.

When it is to protect against nearby lightning hits these devices will do nothing but explode and not protect, you will need 100kA surge arrestors for this.

Last edited:

flaviowolff

Does it have a switch to select the proper overvoltage range ?
It is possible to build something (using a capacitor) that can work with a wider voltage range and only 'clip' the fast transients.
The specs, however, suggest a 275V MOV is in there.

6kV peak voltage is also on the high side. AFAIK most commercial equipment is up to 4kV, industrial to 8kV.

it’s automatic (no switch)
It’s kinda cheap but the brand is good and this protector has a good reputation here in Brazil (not that it means much).

regarding power cables, is it ok to use a 10A cable on the amp, since it’s max operation current is lower than 4a? Not sure if numbers really mean numbers

Top Bottom