• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on high-performance speakers with a utilitarian finish?

Would you be interested the cost savings of a utilitarian finish on a high-performance speaker?

• Yes, if the savings and performance were good enough.

Votes: 47 63.5%
  • No, I don't want cheap-looking speakers in my home.

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Maybe for a basement/secondary/home theater system.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Other, please explain in the thread.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Get a real job!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hege

Forum Donor
Hard to compare Genelec since they're a powder coat on metal.
Well Master series are wood/MDF whatever.. I like the finish on my 1237A, but of course it's very professionally done. The pic Duke posted looks a bit... cheap.. :) (not that the poor jpg quality helps)

But a cheap coating makes no difference to me, since I have my mancave. My subs are even plain plywood, never bothered to paint them.

Last edited:

Hotwetrat

Performance/price always comes first for people with moderate/lower budgets (generally) bar those people who don't have a clue and buy a basic soundbar from curry's or something...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I want my speakers to look nice so it wouldn’t do for me.
I have been impressed by the Genelec and Neumann monitor performance but after considerable consideration decided I wouldn’t give them house room.
In fact the opposite has been the case, I considered ME Geithain monitors because they are available with veneered cabinets…

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think something like mdf w/ thin black ash veneer is about as cheap as you can get? where can you go lower?

i do get the idea that the money spent on finishes is better spent on drivers and crossovers but arent we already at a low point as far as cabinet construction goes?

I might ask how does a company like Behringer afford to do this:

like $69??? cased w/ 8" and tweeter + crossover and you know its protected from amp abuse... not saying it sounds any good

but it seems if you can extrude a case its part way there

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I'm dreaming about a Genelec 8351B + W371A combo. Vanishing WAF, both in the 'form follows function' design and the finish, but I don't care.

Not that I'm a big fan of exotic hardwood veneer with a mirror finish varnish anyway.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I think something like mdf w/ thin black ash veneer is about as cheap as you can get? where can you go lower?

I'm thinking Valchromat with a clear satin polyurethane varnish.

Not sure whether the Valchromat itself would defeat the cost savings on the finish though.

tuga

Major Contributor
I had thought about asking for some time now.

hex168

I think there is some potential in upholstery, particularly since Duke does not like early reflections. I'm thinking of a couple of inches of absorptive material (think recycled denim insulation) covered with a choice of fabric. Someone with a sense of design (not me) might come up with ways to make it look good, e.g. wood trim strips, upholstery buttons. etc. A secondary purpose of the trim could be to introduce contours that would improve absorption at lower frequencies.

TimF

Forum Donor
I thought a number of JBL speakers had utilitarian looking enclosures.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I must admit, I like the cloth idea. On trend too at the moment. But I was always a sucker for Maggies and DCM Time Windows/Frames. And the Dalquists.
Mirage did this for years. Using only a top n bottom cap to dress up their speakers. Underneath, just roughly sprayed MDF and the edges were not finished at all, which suggests that they sprayed the panels pre-assembly.

Mirage_M890i_f1_600x452_pixels.gif

OP
Duke

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Subwoofers could be offered as a flat pack kit perhaps, or as unfinished MDF or plywood. It's fairly simple for a DIY'er to put veneer on a square box ...

Speakerhardware.com offers a plywood subwoofer kit that I designed, but it's much larger than the small units used in the Swarm, so that it's not directly competing against what I do.

They look like the ideal type of speaker to be offered as a parts kit (drivers, ports, horns, elctronics (crossovers) + plans for the box. I'm assuming not just finishing but building the box and not least shipping is a considerable part of the cost.

You could then offer a parts + flat-pack kit, parts plus unfinished box and finally the completely high-end finished speakers ...

I hear what you're saying, but there's relatively little money to be made in home audio loudspeaker kits. If I was the national distributor for the drivers and therefore getting them well below retail, and/or had my own CNC machine to cut the boards, there could be a decent profit margin available. But where I'm positioned in the industry, buying drivers and other parts in small quantities at a small discount and out-sourcing the CNC work, not really. I'm not necessarily saying "never", but "not now".

Nope.
Even that my "fun" room is dedicated I like them to look nice.

I can only offer my personal opinion: I would never spend a lot of money on speakers if they looked cheap. They are de facto furniture in my room that I will be looking at for years. I like something that gives me pride of ownership when I look at it.

I know that plenty of audiophiles seem to think differently “eh, it’s all about the sound, don’t care about the looks.”

Still, most high end companies these days seem to put quite a bit in to the looks and finish of speakers - generally speakers are looking higher quality than ever. So that probably says a lot about actual market demands.

Personally I want my speakers to look nice so it wouldn’t do for me.
I have been impressed by the Genelec and Neumann monitor performance but after considerable consideration decided I wouldn’t give them house room.
In fact the opposite has been the case, I considered ME Geithain monitors because they are available with veneered cabinets…

I appreciate these comments from all three of you! I'll continue to offer speakers with veneers, and may expand into offering automotive paint finishes.

Total armchair comment but I think the trick is to explore how cost-effectiveness and style can go together.

The difficulty I see is in the mantra that cost-effective = cheap = less desirable = worth less. Perhaps try and find a way to make cost-effectiveness worth more. For instance because of the creativity you put in to achieve it.

i do get the idea that the money spent on finishes is better spent on drivers and crossovers but arent we already at a low point as far as cabinet construction goes?

To clarify, my "utilitarian finish" version(s) would be made of high-quality plywood, Baltic Birch being the current front-runner. I'd save money by doing the assembly myself and applying the utilitarian finish myself. Might even cut some of the boards myself. Right now I don't have a local cabinetmaker, nor are the prospects of me locating one very good (I've been trying for years and all the cabinet shops near me are swamped with cabinet work for new homes). For the past six years almost all of my home audio enclosures have been built out of state, which imposes either another round of shipping costs (if they are shipped to me) or additional final assembly and testing costs (if they are not shipped to me).

Adding a "utilitarian finish" version of at least one model will allow me to offer THAT version at a price which has a much lower assembly cost (my labor) and which does not need to recoup as many additional costs.

Beautifull work, some models seem hard to do in utilitarian finishes? the horns for example

Thank you. The horns would probably be "off the shelf" units, most likely plastic, though there are one or two metal horns I like.

I had thought about asking for some time now.

Really? Wow. Unfortunately I don't have any great ideas for overcoming the shipping expense hurdle imposed by the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe if I knew how to make really good small speakers... but I don't.

hex168

Is this a good look, and are grilles cheaper than finished wood? (As a rectangular prism, not whatever one calls the shape of the AR-LST.)
ar8-2.jpeg

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly shipping would,cost me a lot living on the other side of the ocean.

But I imported a very big rhythmic sub it costed a lot to ship , but it was still competitive compared to local offers.
The high end market in Europe is weird and has a lot of price fixing and oligopolies.

What I meant by horns where mostly those turned,carved wooden ones like in for example the Gina model ?
But maybe you can 3D print that profile in plastic ?

Some other of your speakers seems to have off the shelf horns in plastic already.

I do like that the speakers are big :) it comes naturally when not trying to fight nature.

puppet

I think a good starting point would be to limit the "design" feature to a wood finished front baffle and the rest of the enclosure a paint finish as an accent. This approach should help cut fabrication costs 30-40%.

MAB

Major Contributor
I must admit, I like the cloth idea. On trend too at the moment. But I was always a sucker for Maggies and DCM Time Windows/Frames. And the Dalquists.
I still have DCM Time Windows. I sold my Vandersteen IIci years ago, that was another one that used cloth to sidestep the difficulties and expense of cabinet finishes. Not to mention kept the weight under the UPS shipping limit for oversize items.

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I like the looks of the cloth-wrapped speakers from DefTech and Goldenear, and so does my wife. Neither of us is into paying lots of extra money for a fancy wood finish.

Bonus: no grille frame to diffract the sound!
That is actually a good idea!

Top Bottom