• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on Audioholics discussion on "Improving Loudspeaker Specifications Standards for Consumers"

johnp98

Audioholics has posted a video of their livestream discussion on "Improving Loudspeaker Specifications Standards for Consumers"
I am curious what people think of the discussion.

I have not listened to the whole discussion yet, but skimming though some sections I had some thoughts.

1) Curious why ASR and Erins Audio Corner are not mentioned / included. I am sure Audioholics is aware of what goes on on those two sites and so curious why they did not get a plug or an invite. Are they just afraid of losing viewers or do they want to be seen as the only one doing more objective reviews? I am not sure I have figured out where Audioholics lands on the subjective / objective spectrum.

2) Amazing to see Sean Olive on there, as I don't know if I have seen many long form interviews with him (feel free to point me in the right direction if that is not the case though). Maybe Amir should try and interview Sean Olive and Floyd Toole as maybe it is less difficult to have a discussion with them that I assumed. One can dream that Amir can sit down have a chat with them sometime.

3) Seemed like it took quite the while to get the information across, and what was presented was not nearly as in depth as what your typical ASR / Erin's review discusses. I guess all of that is to say that I am greatly enjoying this site and the density of information and expertise that can be found here. I am especially impressed with the youtube videos by Amir as they really have been killing it in my opinion.

Curious what your thoughts are.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a weird video and concept. It should have just been Tony's presentation about work he is doing in CEDIA or create a spec sheet for speakers when advertised. Having the rest of the guests there made no sense to me, nor did it make sense to make it a "live" session.

I don't understand the concept of these "live" youtubes where there is no time to hardly take any questions from people watching. They should do them offline and then take the opportunity to fix the audio/video issues they had.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a weird video and concept. It should have just been Tony's presentation about work he is doing in CEDIA or create a spec sheet for speakers when advertised. Having the rest of the guests there made no sense to me, nor did it make sense to make it a "live" session.

I don't understand the concept of these "live" youtubes where there is no time to hardly take any questions from people watching. They should do them offline and then take the opportunity to fix the audio/video issues they had.

Let alone the silly visuals such live videos create. Everyone wearing fugly headphones and not exactly in sync in a few ways. Altho the off the cuff/spontaneous thing I suppose adds some value but rather have a better designed video to watch. Then again don't care for many videos vs a good write-up.

OP
J

johnp98

Yes, I think the "live" sessions can be a double edged sword, they often play on peoples fear of missing out and making something feel like a newsworthy exclusive event (yet when they are recorded they clearly are not) but they also can generate a sense of community based on the interaction during the event.

Anyways, I guess I was amazed that you could get such large names to sit down for 100min when they individually contributed little structured content. Maybe I am just projecting how I would feel.

@amirm have you ever reached out to Sean Olive or Floyd Toole or other big names in the industry (sorry I am new to this hobby / lifestyle so I don't know many of the titans of audio that I also should be paying respect to) and asked if they would do a joint youtube video with you?

Maybe that is asking for too much, as I am just thrilled you have made youtube videos as many of my peers are very receptive to learning via that medium as opposed to buying and reading Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms or reading though forms.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm have you ever reached out to Sean Olive or Floyd Toole or other big names in the industry (sorry I am new to this hobby / lifestyle so I don't know many of the titans of audio that I also should be paying respect to) and asked if they would do a joint youtube video with you?
Thanks for asking. I have not done that. I have to become more of a "TV personality" to want to do this kind of interview than I am right now. :) I know I miss a lot of advanced questions I could ask which is not done in their current interviews.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unwieldy format that wastes the time of presenters and listeners.

It would be much better content to have a 5-10 minute interview with each presenter, then have Gene stitch them together and provide an overview at the end.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It would be much better content to have a 5-10 minute interview with each presenter, then have Gene stitch them together and provide an overview at the end.
Indeed. That is the typical roundtable at conferences. Each industry insider/expert gives a short presentation and then take questions from the audience. Gene said he wants to do a round 2 of this. I hope he doesn't and revises the format. I worry that these industry people won't show up to these things if their time is not well spent.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I commented what I realistically want from manufacturers:

• Disclose spec parameters.

• Use anechoic (or similar) data and not estimated in-room performance.

• Report max SPL.

• Report bass extension, whether -6dB or -10dB (referenced to mean sensitivity).

• Produce a Listening Window graph (smoothed no more than 1/12oct).

• State minimum impedance between 100Hz-500Hz.

• State dispersion characteristic. I calculate this currently by via the average of the Sound Power DI over a range and arbitrarily stating specific values as wide/normal/narrow/Omni.

The above would be in the “brochure” that salesman can give to customers, I want a true spec sheet also available that goes into much more detail.

amper42

Major Contributor
I would have liked to hear more from Sean Olive. I found myself fast forwarding to anytime he had something to say. Much of the presentation from Anthony was standard fare and a bit on the boring side. Looking for input from Sean Olive is what kept me watching with my finger on fast forward. :D

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think the Audioholics YouTube channel has any video editors.

So if i would have a choice in the matter I would rather have this format instead of someone wasting time they would otherwise spend on making more reviews.

It can take 6 to 8 hours time to edit both the Audio and Video of such large content.

aac

We already have cta 2034.
Any single speaker that has full cta 2034 set of measurements? Even a third party one, like from a reviewer?
What's the point of this discussion if nobody will publish all that data anyway?

nerdoldnerdith

I'm guessing they had something similar planned for CEDIA, but that got canned, so they tried to emulate the presentation/discussion online.

Promit

Olive is quite accessible in general - I believe he linked one of Amir's videos earlier this week in a Twitter subtweet. I have to imagine he'd be willing to join a discussion if Amir wanted to set that sort of thing up, but that stuff easily becomes a lot of work - and puts you in the crosshairs for a lot of criticism. It's genuinely difficult to do well.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What's the point of this discussion if nobody will publish all that data anyway?
Indeed I see no pathway to such information becoming broadly accessible. It can only help sell less produces, than more! We don't even have Harman doing this which pioneered a lot of this!

amper42

Major Contributor
If you're interested in the kind of impactful presentation Sean Olive can make when given the opportunity, check out this 2014 presentation on speakers and headphones. The studies disclosed offer a lot of meat.

Part 1 - starts 1 minute in.

Part 2

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I commented what I realistically want from manufacturers:

• Disclose spec parameters.

• Use anechoic (or similar) data and not estimated in-room performance.

• Report max SPL.

• Report bass extension, whether -6dB or -10dB (referenced to mean sensitivity).

• Produce a Listening Window graph (smoothed no more than 1/12oct).

• State minimum impedance between 100Hz-500Hz.

• State dispersion characteristic. I calculate this currently by via the average of the Sound Power DI over a range and arbitrarily stating specific values as wide/normal/narrow/Omni.

The above would be in the “brochure” that salesman can give to customers, I want a true spec sheet also available that goes into much more detail.
The salesmen would not understand significance of these disclosures much less 99% of buyers.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The salesmen would not understand significance of these disclosures much less 99% of buyers.
You mean the disclosure of spec parameters?

If they don’t understand it, that is even more reason for it to be disclosed or even pressured to be the same. It‘s bad form on companies like Klipsch to use in-room parameters to trick customers into thinking their speakers are much easier to power than the competition.

Top Bottom