• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on an earning drive as an audio engineer / producer type?

1niltothe

Hello,

I think that quite a few ASR members are professionals in the audio industry, and was curious about how such people might go about bringing in more money.

I started out a few years ago, getting jobs through friends. It's been fine for day to day living, but I realise I don't have much security if I have a health scare or want to take time off. I'd like to try and get my head down for a few months, bring in some extra.

I have experience editing and mixing audio (podcasts, music), writing soundtracks and background sounds for films, guided meditations, virtual reality, art works etc. I have a studio that can record vocals and mix / master. I've done live sound at events too. If you put my producer name in Google, stuff comes up.

I'm pretty open minded as to what I do, so long as the money ends up alright. The only thing I tend to need is an external force of some kind, like a client or boss.

Is it about certain freelance sites these days? Do people ever phone up and ask for work? Is there anything else that worked for you that you don't mind sharing?

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello,

I think that quite a few ASC members are professionals in the audio industry, and was curious about how such people might go about bringing in more money.

I started out a few years ago, getting jobs through friends. It's been fine for day to day living, but I realise I don't have much security if I have a health scare or want to take time off. I'd like to try and get my head down for a few months, bring in some extra.

I have experience editing and mixing audio (podcasts, music), writing soundtracks and background sounds for films, guided meditations, virtual reality, art works etc. I have a studio that can record vocals and mix / master. I've done live sound at events too. If you put my producer name in Google, stuff comes up.

I'm pretty open minded as to what I do, so long as the money ends up alright. The only thing I tend to need is an external force of some kind, like a client or boss.

Is it about certain freelance sites these days? Do people ever phone up and ask for work? Is there anything else that worked for you that you don't mind sharing?
R... ASR members... are usually helpful if given data and specifics regarding questions. ASC members (Advancing Surgical Care) are quick to the knife... lol. Good luck.

OP
1niltothe

1niltothe

Oops - Advancing Surgical Care ha ha :facepalm:

My brain fart was ASC the acoustic science people, not that far off but still a howler

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't have much work experience, not even enough experience for any work advice, but I would say either find a boss that pays you well, or be a boss somehow. Find a boss to pay you well either require you to be very good at what you do, or work till you can't move. Be your own boss can be freelancer type, side jobs, start small busniess etc. If you want money, investing is also an option.

Top Bottom