• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

thomann t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Review

Rate this Device:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 18.3%

• Total voters

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks. Like most chintzy bastards, I was hoping for cheaper freight. I'll probably wait until I see the REW results before ordering it. The way things are going, it'll likely be twice the price by then. ;)

What is your experience in using the device? Would it be your choice again?
Not much has changed since the device and shipping costs were last discussed here, except that the device is $5 cheaper right now than what I paid, and hopefully shipping has remained a quite reasonable $28. I can't find anything comparable/cheaper for my use case.

My experience with the unit is getting it back from Amir after testing :) . Those who have discussed their experience with the unit here including the panther seem happy. I myself have to wait until relocating to my new HT/listening room build.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Not much has changed since the device and shipping costs were last discussed here, except that the device is $5 cheaper right now than what I paid, and hopefully shipping has remained a quite reasonable $28. I can't find anything comparable/cheaper for my use case.

My experience with the unit is getting it back from Amir after testing :) . Those who have discussed their experience with the unit here including the panther seem happy. I myself have to wait until relocating to my new HT/listening room build.
Thanks for this. "Thou marshall'st me the way I was going, and such an instrument I was to use."*

This device seems to provide me with just the facilities I will need: 2 main stereo channels, and two powered subwoofers. Nothing more, nothing less.
Now, to see what REW says about my room and speakers. That is the question.** The USB mic interface is expected to arrive today or tomorrow.

I feel a bit like someone's sweet child, waving goodbye from the deck of an ocean liner to family on the shore. An upcoming entirely new experience.
Let's hope the name on the ship isn't Lusitania...

*William Shakespeare, in the demise of Macbeth.
** Ibid, Hamlet

rvsixer

Considering getting a mic and REW and adding this to my AVR's pre-outs. My Marantz AVR has L/R/Sub pre-out and basic Audyssey with no phone app support. I assume I could keep Audyssey enabled in the AVR and use the AVR for bass management, but then use this for EQ? I don't need balanced (though my amplifier is balanced) but it seems having the 4 inputs instead of just 2 from MiniDSP or Dayton Audio would be a bonus for my setup.
IMO these types of DSP's aren't really for AVR full-range "room correction" i.e. Audyssey, etc. For AVR's, I'd stick with using them for sub-out issues only (i.e. integrating multiple subs, major peaks Audyssey can't deal with, etc.). Suggest starting with mic/REW to see what room issues you may have, then use the appropriate tool(s) to address them.
Also, the previously mentioned Dayton does have 4 inputs.

DanielT

Major Contributor
But wait now. If the crossover functionality in this miniDSP is set in the higher registers, lets say 2000-3000 Hz. How is noise and distortion, SINAD, then?

It is often said you can use your miniDSP for/as an crossover. It is possible to do that , but what does that mean in terms of distortion and noise if you do so?

I can buy that, as long as it's the same if crossover functionality is enabled:

thomann t.racks dsp 4x4 measurement audio.png

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Again, let's please not continue to refer to this t.racks branded device as a miniDSP branded device....creates confusion.
I gave a thumbs up out of curiosity. What do you mean? Like Behringer, copies? miniDSP copies?

Or who makes these t.racks anyway?Thomann? But do they make stuff themselves?

rvsixer

The subject of this thread is Thomann t.rack DSP 4x4 mini device, and Thomann makes or sources the DUT in this thread.
A different company, miniDSP, makes or sources their own DSP devices.

People continue to refer to/confuse this Thomann device as a miniDSP device in this thread, which it is not. Behringer likely has nothing to do with either.

DanielT

Major Contributor
The subject of this thread is Thomann t.rack DSP 4x4 mini device, and Thomann makes or sources the DUT in this thread.
A different company, miniDSP, makes or sources their own DSP devices.

People continue to refer to/confuse this Thomann device as a miniDSP device in this thread, which it is not. Behringer likely has nothing to do with either.
It is thus a DSP mini and not a mini DSP. And the difference lies in?

DanielT

Major Contributor
MiniDSP is a brand name.
Aha, sorry, then I'll change it and do it right:

But wait now. If the crossover functionality in this DSP mini is set in the higher registers, let's say 2000-3000 Hz. How is noise and distortion, SINAD, then?

It is said that you can use this DSP mini for/as an crossover. It is possible to do that, but what does that mean in terms of distortion and noise if you do so?

I can buy this, as long as it's the same if crossover functionality is in use:
thomann t.racks dsp 4x4 measurement audio.png

telemike

Would it be ok to use RCA to 1/4" adapters and use this the in the pre-out/main-in on my vintage receiver to high pass my speakers and send a low pass sub out?

rvsixer

Would it be ok to use RCA to 1/4" adapters and use this the in the pre-out/main-in on my vintage receiver to high pass my speakers and send a low pass sub out?
Assuming your current receiver has L/R preout jumpered to main/amp input, yes you could insert the Thomann 4x4 mini in place of the jumper. Feed main/amp input with the high pass signal, feed your sub with the low pass.

telemike

Assuming your current receiver has L/R preout jumpered to main/amp input, yes you could insert the Thomann 4x4 mini in place of the jumper. Feed main/amp input with the high pass signal, feed your sub with the low pass.
No issues using rca to 1/4" adapters i hope

bennybbbx

Aha, sorry, then I'll change it and do it right:

But wait now. If the crossover functionality in this DSP mini is set in the higher registers, let's say 2000-3000 Hz. How is noise and distortion, SINAD, then?

It is said that you can use this DSP mini for/as an crossover. It is possible to do that, but what does that mean in terms of distortion and noise if you do so?

I can buy this, as long as it's the same if crossover functionality is in use:
View attachment 230308

when use as crossover then output come depend on frequency on diffrent outputs. distortion should be near same for every speaker system. most important is that do the volume control after the DSP so you use allways full dynamic of DSP

Vytauts

Just double check if I can create such setup.

Current setup: laptop > dac > amp > speakers

with t.racks I can update to: laptop > dac > t.racks > amp > speakers
.......................................................................................................> subwoofer 1
.......................................................................................................> subwoofer 1

Is chain correct?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is also a version of this... [ummm]... hardware which is outfitted w/a power amplifier:
Thomann 'the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Amp'
Power: 4x 50 W @ 8 Ohm / 4x 60 W @ 4 Ohm (no bridge mode)
Class D amps w/binding posts [?]
202209_not-minDSP01.jpg

202209_not-minDSP02.jpg

202209_not-minDSP03.jpg

Appears to be a good deal for $150; if performance is similar to its sibling w/o the power amp.

Westsounds

I had one, I would rather use one of those cheap Behringer equalisers. And I read a review somewhere of someone else who would as well and tried both with better results with the EQ. They were also a fraction of the price as well it's a shame they discontinued those. Those little EQs are better than those miniDSPs as well, another overhyped product.

Why take analogue and convert it to digital and then back to analogue again? I can get to adjust it but just buy an inline analogue EQ.

Top Bottom