• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

thomann t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Review

Rate this Device:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 18.3%

• Total voters

dweeeeb2

you should keep in mind that the SNR measure you see in this test is at +4 db studio level correct ?. Hifi Cinch level is -10 db this mean you need reduce 14 db from the SNR see in this test. So you get lower SNR for the tracks as with other hifi equipment. also you should keep in mind, when you reduce volume on your playback device the tracks get less input. to compensate it you need always give full level input to the minidsp and full volume at output. so you need be able to change volume after t.racks . then tracks work good and noise is no problem
Thanks for this. I’ve got one in the spare room and its a good solution for 2.1, but if ideally volume needs to be controlled on the way out thats a pain. It sounds like it needs a volume out dial.
This home audio hobby is damn complicated…

TNT

Aa.jpg
Hi!

I'm using this in a small portable song PA application (mono). The singer wants "reverb"... would it be possible to duplicate the input and send an attenuated and delayed version to one of the extra input and mix that with the mic input, or will the just end up in a big oscillating feedback machine :-/

//

Urotdukidoji

I bought one of these for my subwoofers two and a half years ago, and now the blue input LED blinks and goes up and down in intensity...
Apart from that it still works perfectly, although I don't know if I should order a new one.

otic

IMO these types of DSP's aren't really for AVR full-range "room correction" i.e. Audyssey, etc.

Why do you think so? I just bought t.racks 4x4 mini to use between the AVR and the multichannel power amp. My goal is to set a delay on all 7 surround sound channels relative to the wireless subwoofer, which Audyssey cannot properly time align - it gives a message that the distance between the speakers exceeds 6m. Is this system configuration bad?

I also noticed that t.racks 4x4 mini "plays" a little quieter than miniDSP 2x4HD (which I also have), is it probably because of the use of RCA-TS (mono unbalnced) adapter?

Ideally, for me it would be to buy a miniDSP 8x8 Flex HT or to buy three additional pieces of miniDSP 2x4HD, but these are higher costs.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why do you think so? I just bought t.racks 4x4 mini to use between the AVR and the multichannel power amp. My goal is to set a delay on all 7 surround sound channels relative to the wireless subwoofer, which Audyssey cannot properly time align - it gives a message that the distance between the speakers exceeds 6m. Is this system configuration bad?

I also noticed that t.racks 4x4 mini "plays" a little quieter than miniDSP 2x4HD (which I also have), is it probably because of the use of RCA-TS (mono unbalnced) adapter?

Ideally, for me it would be to buy a miniDSP 8x8 Flex HT or to buy three additional pieces of miniDSP 2x4HD, but these are higher costs.
So starting off you are trying to delay seven channels with with a four channel device? And you have a system with greater than 6m between speakers, and then possibly introducing even more delay with wireless? If so yes, configure the system properly and no need for any extra and (maybe) noisy DSP in there at all. If I misunderstand your intent, diagram it out please.

otic

So starting off you are trying to delay seven channels with with a four channel device? And you have a system with greater than 6m between speakers, and then possibly introducing even more delay with wireless? If so yes, configure the system properly and no need for any extra and (maybe) noisy DSP in there at all. If I misunderstand your intent, diagram it out please.
Thank you for your answer.

Sorry, I forgot to write that I bought two t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini.

Audyssey's room correction algorithm is slightly flawed, it cannot properly compensate for the delay of the wireless subwoofer - it sees it as "too far away". Since a sound wave cannot be accelerated, I have to play around with adding delays of the rest, wired speakers.

The only thing that worries me is that the connection of t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini between the unbalanced connections of the AVR and the power amplifiers may result in sound degradation?

Last edited:

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audyssey's room correction algorithm is slightly flawed, it cannot properly compensate for the delay of the wireless subwoofer - it sees it as "too far away". Since a sound wave cannot be accelerated, I have to play around with adding delays of the rest, wired speakers.

The only thing that worries me is that the connection of t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini between the unbalanced connections of the AVR and the power amplifiers may result in sound degradation?
Okay thanks for confirming my understanding of the layout and connections.
1) Of the things Audyssey can do correctly, is its ability to set speaker delays well. Without me actually being there to measure and verify this is all imo, but I would guess it can't 'compensate' due to the previously mentioned speaker layout/connection choices.
2) I'd still suggest proper layout and connection choices to 'fix" the real delay issue, so Audyssey might work for you as intended. Instead of throwing lots of extra money and 7 extra AD/DA conversions at it.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom