• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This seems like a good place to ask for suggestions: inexpensive but decent "Bluetooth" speaker?

krott5333

I have a JBL Flip 4 that isn't horrible. Sounds better than any Sony or Beats bluetooth speaker I've heard.

dscottj

I'm a big fan of Minirig speakers. $180 so out of your range but not WAY out. Their latest is a bit smaller than a couple of cat food cans stacked together. It's the only BT speaker I've ever thought was any good at playing classical music. You can later expand them to a stereo pair and even add a portable sub to the mix. Mine plays 1 hr a day 4 days a week (exercise speaker) at moderate volume and the battery lasted 6 weeks for me.

https://www.amazon.com/MINIRIG-Portable-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B07N7X4LS8/ref=sr_1_3

dasdoing

Major Contributor
OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Can you believe -- I am still thinking about this?!? :facepalm:

Thanks to all for suggestions above.
Any others are quite welcome still!

Small portable/cordless (power-wise, that is) still preferred. :)

Thanks!

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I've added a couple since posting earlier in this thread, but if I were buying right now, I think I'd grab an Anker Motion Boom. There's also a speaker called a Mifa Wildbox which looks like fun but it's only available from Aliexpress I think...

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

Jon wise

Anker motion plus, very decent bluetooth speaker, if you want to you can buy two and pair wirelessly in stereo, good eq app which is updated. Good customer support. Amazon have periodic sales so may get it cheaper if you wait.

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In case anyone cares ;) -- I got interested in this again because, with the Wirelessdämmerung of 3G, I am finally biting the bullet and getting myself a (gasp!) smartphone... so I can use "apps" 'n stuff... like the cool kids.

:eek:

I'll be retiring, regretfully, my trusty...

LG VZ7100 cell phone.jpg

Dzhaughn

Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/...-speaker/#our-pick-ultimate-ears-wonderboom-2

There's a couple other suggestions in that article that are around $100 as well. Obviously they tend to focus on "portable" also meaning "outdoor"; not sure if that's a priority for you or not.

I've recently bought a second wonderboom 2. It's a great balance of size, convenience (like battery life, bluetooth quality, waterproof) sound level, and sound quality.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since this old thread was bumped up again, the Sonos Roam is a great option. Sonos convenience and ASR objective measurements are good.

Top Bottom