• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This new amp @ Partsexpress looks interesting, APA1200DSP - high power and DSP

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Don't know much about it.

Looks powerful for reasonable money 2 $699 USD. Of course competing with Crown's offerings with power and PEQ the XTI1002 & 2002 ($600 & $800).

Anyway here are the cut and past specs.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...Integrated-Digital-Signal-Processing-300-1000

"Dayton Audio APA1200DSP 1200 Watt Power Amplifier with Integrated Digital Signal Processing"
Power meets control with Dayton Audio's APA1200DSP Power Amplifier. It features powerful built-in DSP that would normally be handled with another piece of equipment; all in a convenient web-based control interface. Perfect as an amplifier for full-range speakers or subwoofers, this digital amplifier is an extremely powerful and infinitely configurable solution for the ultimate listening experience. 1200 watts of class D power in a bridgeable amplifier means that it can power the most power-hungry full-range speakers or the biggest and baddest subwoofers that you can find.
Key Features
  • Dual-channel Class D power amplifier with built-in audio processor
  • Remotely control from any web-enabled device
  • Extremely efficient 1200W Class-D amplifier
  • Fully adjustable 8-band EQ, filters, phase, limiter, and delay
  • Plenty of connectivity with XLR, RCA, and digital coax inputs, and XLR, RCA, and binding post outputs
  • Connect multiple APA1200DSP units for unlimited control of multiple zones of speakers, subwoofers or complete surround sound systems
1627363827113.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The two amplified channels can power 2 ohm, 4 ohm, and 8 ohm speakers in stereo and can be bridged to power 4 ohm speakers at 1150 watts. Additionally, the APA1200DSP features an ethernet port for connecting to a data network.

Pretty nice stuff for $699.00 USD.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why does it have/need a fan? :confused:
The cabinet is ~9.5cm high including the feet so I think it has a 80mm fan. They can be noisy and whine due to the higher RPM. They used one fan on the left side and punched a fan hole in the right side but did not use a fan there. It must generate some heat for a fan to be used versus just punching out vent holes at the top and bottom.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A fan is cheaper than proper heat sinking, I guess...

Oh. And I really enjoyed reading the specifications.

1627435867582.png

so... how many watts per channel? with how many channels operating? into what impedance load? and at what THD? and across what frequency range?
I like the spec of "501+ Watts" :)
oh... and how much does it weigh?

Guess one of us is gonna have to spring for one & have it drop shipped to @amirm :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A fan is cheaper than proper heat sinking, I guess...

Oh. And I really enjoyed reading the specifications.

View attachment 143957

so... how many watts per channel? with how many channels operating? into what impedance load? and at what THD? and across what frequency range?
I like the spec of "501+ Watts" :)
oh... and how much does it weigh?

Guess one of us is gonna have to spring for one & have it drop shipped to @amirm :)

Was wondering the same thing myself, especially the stated weight vs weight range :) (altho I think the APA 150 tested earlier was possibly 10 lbs)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It looks like they rated it at 560 W/ch and then there is a brief set of specs below that is just describing the general category of amps.

At say 90% efficiency, which would be achieved only at full power, then 1200 W is going to dissipate 120 W as heat. That's a fair amount for a small box so I am not surprised at the fan. Hopefully it has a thermal sensing circuit and only turns on when needed.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It looks like they rated it at 560 W/ch
Into what load impedance?
:rolleyes:
oh, and knock 3 or 4 dB off to get a "THD+N" level of, say, <0.1% based on those 'specifications' that I pasted above). :/

Looks to me like another variant of the Crown/Behringer Class D entry level commercial sound products -- priced a bit on the high side (albeit depending on its actual "RMS" ;) sustainable power output).
I like PartsExpress. I really do, and I'd prefer to buy a product from them than brand X (or, worse yet, brand Z counterfeit labled as "brand X") via Amazon. But one could drive a tractor-trailer through the holes in their product description... for a $700 product. Maybe it's just me (I'm not a born Yankee, but I am as parsimonious as one!), but I can't see $700 as chump change for any product.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Into what load impedance?
:rolleyes:
oh, and knock 3 or 4 dB off to get a "THD+N" level of, say, <0.1% based on those 'specifications' that I pasted above). :/

Looks to me like another variant of the Crown/Behringer Class D entry level commercial sound products -- priced a bit on the high side (albeit depending on its actual "RMS" ;) sustainable power output).
I like PartsExpress. I really do, and I'd prefer to buy a product from them than brand X (or, worse yet, brand Z counterfeit labled as "brand X") via Amazon. But one could drive a tractor-trailer through the holes in their product description... for a $700 product. Maybe it's just me (I'm not a born Yankee, but I am as parsimonious as one!), but I can't see $700 as chump change for any product.

They say 8 ohms elsewhere in the text, or maybe the manual, I forget. I don't have a dog in this hunt; it's somewhat interesting, and I'd like to see Amir or someone measure it, but by and large I have better things to do than debate this one. It is not likely an amp I would buy; sort of reminds me of the old "1 kW peak dynamic instantaneous music power" claims from a pair of 2N3904/3906 output transistors in a Sound Design shelf unit I repaired decades ago...

I do agree with you in wondering if it is basically a cheap knock-off amp in an "audiophile" box and 2x price hike. We need a 2 kW Power Cube...

ASR seems to have a lot of angry people lately (not saying you are one!)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They say 8 ohms elsewhere in the text, or maybe the manual, I forget. I don't have a dog in this hunt; it's somewhat interesting, and I'd like to see Amir or someone measure it, but by and large I have better things to do than debate this one. It is not likely an amp I would buy; sort of reminds me of the old "1 kW peak dynamic instantaneous music power" claims from a pair of 2N3904/3906 output transistors in a Sound Design shelf unit I repaired decades ago...

I do agree with you in wondering if it is basically a cheap knock-off amp in an "audiophile" box and 2x price hike. We need a 2 kW Power Cube...

ASR seems to have a lot of angry people lately (not saying you are one!)
I'm not so much angry as frustrated.
Yeah, they say 8 ohms in one place :) tied to a "Product Specification" of "501+ Watts". Dafug? ;)

Oh, and how 'bout that "Frequency Deviation (20 - 20kHz)" of "3 dBRMS"?
I can think of a couple of ways to interpret that -- one of which includes, e.g., 3 dB less power at the extremes relative to midband. :rolleyes:
Despite my relatively high & vociferous profile here -- I am not really a big measurements guy, but I would be awfully interested in seeing how this amplifier performs relative to its nominal specifications! I'd like to see its innards, too (must be the biologist in me...). Not interested enough, yet, to pony up 700 smackers so to do, though.

EDIT: PS I will take a look at the manual and watch for chatter on their forum & whatnot. They claim these are in stock and available for immediat shipping (as of earlier today) so there may be some in the field pretty darned soon...

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'm old. I'll die soon. And I'm glad of it. Jim Taylor.
I say this to my wife all of the time when we hear particularly disheartening stuff on the news. :rolleyes:

And, no, I don't say "Jim Taylor'll die soon" ;) , I usually say something along the lines of "Before it's a big problem, I'll be dead.." Which passes for optimism in 2021. ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Might as well get a Crown XLS 1502. Mine sat 6" above water in a flooded house, then in the humidity and mold for a week but survived. It has a nice high pass filter for sub integration or bi-amping.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Might as well get a Crown XLS 1502. Mine sat 6" above water in a flooded house, then in the humidity and mold for a week but survived. It has a nice high pass filter for sub integration or bi-amping.
That's what I'm thinkin', too, a priori.

Omar Cumming

The best spec is:

"Weight range 10-19 lbs"

Huh what? Don't they know how much the thing weighs?:facepalm:

Cheers

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hopefully my last post on this... Below are the specs from the website https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...Integrated-Digital-Signal-Processing-300-1000. The detailed specs are first, then some overall info and what looks like the shipping weight, and at the bottom are what looks like to me just general search terms/parameters of specs used to classify the general range of amplifier products. This looks like a website issue to me and folk seem to focus on that instead of the "real" specs provided. Not that they are perfect, either (no load on power spec, frequency response 3 dB rms -- what does that mean?, SNR not great especially A-weighted, THD+N high for today's market, etc.)

Specifications
Number of channels: 2
Inputs:XLR x 2, RCA x 2, Coax (SPDIF) x1
Outputs (line): XLR x 2, RCA x 2
Outputs (powered): Stereo binding posts x 2
Output Power (Stereo): 560 W x 2 RMS
Output Power (Bridged) : 1150 W
Input Sensitivity Voltage: 0.316 VRMS @ -10 dBV, 0.631 VRMS @ -4 dBV
Max Input Level Voltage: 1.8 VRMS
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
Frequency Deviation (20-20kHz) : 3 dBRMS
SNR, A-weighted: >96 dB
THD+N @ Rated Power: 0.74%
Auto-on Sensitivity: 10 mVRMS
Power Consumption (Standby): <2W
Power Consumption (Idle): 17.5W
Power Consumption (Max): 1600W
Weight: 16.2 lbs.
Dimensions: 17′′ W x 15′′ D x 3.75′′ H

Product Details
Brand Dayton Audio
Model APA1200DSP
Part Number 300-1000
UPC 848791007729
Unit of Measure Each
Weight 23.65

Product Specifications
Power (RMS/Channel 8 ohms) 501+ Watts
Weight Range10 to 19 lbs.
Special Features DSP-Volume / Tone Control

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^^^ exactly the same information I posted -- and all of the questions stand :)

But, yeah, finished flogging the moribund equine now, I am.
Will wait for the review (and some topless photos), I shall.

Top Bottom