• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This made me laugh. Not only applicable to HiFi sadly.

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Must be pretty smart to get PhD in 6 years....

It took me 6 just to get a master....

I call this BS! ; )
It depends where and how hard you study.
A PhD in 6 years was the normal target when I went to University, mind you the system here has changed enormously since then.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That Frank Swain guy is most probably a boring person though.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Dave Chappelle : "Twitter is a bathroom wall. Why would I write all my thoughts on a bathroom wall'

Substitute twitter with internet - same same lol

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It depends where and how hard you study.
A PhD in 6 years was the normal target when I went to University, mind you the system here has changed enormously since then.
Ineresting. Usually it's undergrad (4 years) --> Masters (1-1/2 - 2 years) --> PhD (depends on how many years you want to avoid getting a job ;-) )

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ineresting. Usually it's undergrad (4 years) --> Masters (1-1/2 - 2 years) --> PhD (depends on how many years you want to avoid getting a job ;-) )
The University I went to was very hard to get into and if you got good grades you kept your place and got a degree in 3 years. If you failed a single end of year exam from any of your courses you were thrown out, although if the failure was minor and all the other results were good they may let you to repeat the whole year and re-study all the courses, so it is then a 4-year course. About 40% of the students who started with me got thrown out.
If you were going to do a PhD you usually did so without a Master's first, but not always. As you write it was a way of avoiding getting a job for some.

Scgorg

Can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in Norway it's typically bachelor's degree (3 years) -> master's degree (2 years) -> PhD (3 years).
The point of the post stands though, I find it baffling that people with no understanding or little understanding of a subject somehow consider their ignorant opinion equally weighty as peer-reviewed research. If I stated something, and somebody with a PhD or master's degree within what I was talking about said "this is wrong", my first reaction would most likely not be to claim this person was a quack. Some people are seemingly allergic to being wrong...

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The University I went to was very hard to get into and if you got good grades you kept your place and got a degree in 3 years. If you failed a single end of year exam from any of your courses you were thrown out, although if the failure was minor and all the other results were good they may let you to repeat the whole year and re-study all the courses, so it is then a 4-year course. About 40% of the students who started with me got thrown out.
If you were going to do a PhD you usually did so without a Master's first, but not always. As you write it was a way of avoiding getting a job for some.
In my day it was 3 years for a Bachelor's degrees and a further 1 Year for a masters and/or 3 years for a PhD. A few people started on a Masters, then found they had enough material to convert it to a PhD, most went directly into either a Masters or a PhD.

I think we all knew the Perpetual Students who went from Undergraduate to Graduate to Post Doc Researcher to Lecturer in the hope of never having to get a job outside Academia.

S.

ralphf

It is amazing how confident ignorant people are.
Many a true word is spoken in jest

Not sure what the reply of "bullshit" in the text was meant to refer to, but it probably referred to the position that nobody gets a free pass simply because of their credentials. Regardless of your station in life or your authority, every person needs to support his positions -- there is no fast-track, ez-pass given. Conversely, it also means that those without credentials or authority cannot be dismissed simply because of their lack of authority or credentials.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Conversely, it also means that those without credentials or authority cannot be dismissed simply because of their lack of authority or credentials.

That's Hitchens' razor.

I believe the OP alludes to the more common response from the genuinely ignorant to an expert analysis: they (the innumerate) and only they have discovered an error that everyone else somehow missed.

ralphf

I believe the OP alludes to the more common response from the genuinely ignorant to an expert analysis: they (the innumerate) and only they have discovered an error that everyone else somehow missed.

I don't think that is the issue. Ask yourself, why the need to list the credentials in the first place? That listing of credentials comes before the reply of "bullshit", not the other way around. Sounds more like the guy was responding to his point being dismissed. Thus he called "bullshit". Credentials are not a valid response to someone's argument, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:
OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what the reply of "bullshit" in the text was meant to refer to, but it probably referred to the position that nobody gets a free pass simply because of their credentials. Regardless of your station in life or your authority, every person needs to support his positions -- there is no fast-track, ez-pass given. Conversely, it also means that those without credentials or authority cannot be dismissed simply because of their lack of authority or credentials.

:facepalm:

This is a humorous meme with more than a grain of irony.
I was given a book called "The Death of Expertise" by my daughter for my birthday which is one of the most depressing reads ever :(

Top Bottom