• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This is the technical forum for non-advanced audio users!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is easy to assume that everyone knows their FFT from negative feedback. Yet for many these are terms they may have heard but don't understand. And are too shy to ask about them. The high level of technical expertise in ASR Forum perhaps makes asking such questions even more intimidating.

So here is a new forum/thread to ask any technical questions you may have. If you see a term or a discussion you don't understand, just create a thread here and ask. I and others would be happy to answer.

Spirit84

Good move in creating this new forum! Now I can ask my silly questions in the right spot!!!!

Reactions: PSO

Wombat

Master Contributor
Me too.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I know the differences among a DFT, an FFT, and various flavors of feedback.

I don't know what "PRAT" means in the audiophile world.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's fine: neither do they ;)
PRAT is even more ambiguous than "liquid mids"...

"Liquid mids" is clear depending on the type of liquid. I prefer single-malt. PRAT is measured by the frequency alignment of toe-tapping with that of the bass drum, otherwise known as restless leg syndrome.

Reactions: PSO

cjfrbw

Liquid Mids: all those beer bellies you have to bump past trying to get to the sweet spot at audio shows.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I have a question regarding volume in digital gear. When I drove the signal from Tidal through AirPlay (iPhone), into Samsung TV (The Frame), which has Toslink out, the volume was much lower than when the same Tidal song was played through my Mac Pro (trashcan) via USB.

Any idea why the lower volume when AirPlay through Samsung?

Lossy path or is Samsung TV tuned lower volume wise?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Check the Audio settings at the TV?

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201801/20180123102314699/ENG_US_KTMATSCL-3.0.8.pdf

1527865899622.png

More:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/the-frame

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

Thanks. Been there. And the only option for audio out using optical is PCM or bitstream. I have PCM.

So the question remains; where comes the volume difference from? Where’s the magic box?

(I believe it must be the Samsung box, but why and how come?)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Thanks. Been there. And the only option for audio out using optical is PCM or bitstream. I have PCM.

Mine (LG) has modes that affect the Optical Out volume. Maybe look again?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Thanks again, Ray. I have trusted my digital boxes, till now.

The AirPlay (Apple TV 4K via hdmi, I forgot to say, so there is one more box) to Samsung is no doubt lower volume wise than Mac via USB.

The Mac pro with USB is higher in volume.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a question regarding volume in digital gear. When I drove the signal from Tidal through AirPlay (iPhone), into Samsung TV (The Frame), which has Toslink out, the volume was much lower than when the same Tidal song was played through my Mac Pro (trashcan) via USB.

The Toslink is putting out the same 1s and 0s it puts out no matter where they're being sent, so I can't imagine how "lossy-ness" has anything to do with it.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
The Toslink is putting out the same 1s and 0s it puts out no matter where they're being sent, so I can't imagine how "lossy-ness" has anything to do with it.

It could be the hdmi protocol in Apple 4K that isn’t volume matched? I have heard some producers have had problems with hdmi volume.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I think Ray is on the ball here, the tv itself might have some sort of loudness compression mode which make things sound louder. Also, sometimes the TV's will resample an audio track. From 44.1 khz to 48khz. I doubt that's able to make an audible loudness situation but I have a tv that did that resampling.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The format may be different for optical, e.g. PCM vs. bitstream or different rates (since optical doesn't have the bandwidth of HDMI), with resultant change in sound determined by the decoder.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Maybe the Toslink output from the TV is impacted by the TV's volume control. Try turning that up and down and see if it makes a difference.

Top Bottom