• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This is the metal drill I like to have!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Our favorite R-rated canadian is at it again but this time with one heck of a tool: friction drilling!

I did not know such a thing existed. It goes through it like hot knife through butter!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Is that in real time or sped up?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Our favorite R-rated canadian is at it again but this time with one heck of a tool: friction drilling!

I did not know such a thing existed. It goes through it like hot knife through butter!
I can't think of a better description of the human race ... ' a clusterfuck of fatty acids ' :D

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning

ZINC STEARATE: If you do metal drilling of any kind where you are NOT able to use your drill press with pressurized drilling-cutting fluid flushing the piece, Zinc Stearate is very valuable.
During drilling >>>microcracks<<< form at the hot drill-bit to metal being drilled surface. The Zinc Stearate enters the cracks & prevents the instant re-welding of the material.

The purpose of my human life is to make things easier on myself. The above is for information only; NOT preaching.

iridium.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Iridium. I am a machinist newbie :). Is Zinc Stearate something you get in cutting oils? I bought this oil I think based on recommended from our Canadian friend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F09CF4/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_dp_1

I believe some deep drilling, e.g. oil wells, use zinc stearic combinations.
I would use zinc stearate or Slugger in non-drill press situations.

Kano Kronos is supposed to be a good penetrating oil.

Recipe for the best penetrating oil, but must be used with a priceless commodity: patience.
10 parts Acetone.
1 part oil >>>must be LESS than Zero Weight<<<.
Shake well [keep out of eyes].
Apply.
Lightly wiggle stuck fastener.
Repeat over hours, days, weeks.

Here is the Trick of the Recipe: the acetone carries the Less than Zero Weight oil far down into the problem, evaporates leaving the oil behind [this info. is priceless and I will be invoicing].

Heat can also be applied when the Acetone has evaporated.

I have a few gallons of the Less than Zero Weight oil, so if you get up my way, bring an empty pint or quart oil bottle.

Best to you,
iridium.

Top Bottom