• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This is just plain sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
F***k everyones feelings. This is as GRAY as the self Profesed Wigger who kept saying his reputiation in jail matters. Sure. If you want stay there. Enjoy Giving a Shit about some people who suck Strange to feel high. Good for YOU.

OR. Don't suck at life. And Praise the DEVIL!!!!!

So how's 8th grade going?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I was tempted to post an infamous shirt from Impaled Nazarene´s Nihil, but this is a public forum and many of you are decent people. Google it yourself if you´re courious.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree that Erin shouldn't be bothered that much about what Amir thinks or says, but to ban Erin and then bash him on this site is low and beneath Amir and hurts the usefulness of this site because it is now BIASED. Not like we all don't take any statement on a site that claims to review audio gear with a GIANT grain of salt, but one might have at least trusted that the discussion and people on the site represented a spectrum of voices that added dimensions to the information and observations that could help to build a somewhat balanced view of the topic at hand. Now we have a biased site operator who has shown a willingness to quash a reasonably well trusted and agreed technically competent voice over a minor point that translates to more of a bruised ego than an underlying offense, you diminish the usefulness of the site as it now becomes a "curated" site that threatens to become the kind of trash that classic audiophile reviews were. Granted the site certainly isn't that bad yet, but this is a big step in that direction.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Whatever, man.

It's good that there are more measurement-oriented websites for audio on the internet.

We can expect differences in the conclusions reached from the data.

We should be aware and expect that our own conclusions derived from the data would be different.

Take a chill pill folks.

Yasuo

I agree that Erin shouldn't be bothered that much about what Amir thinks or says, but to ban Erin and then bash him on this site is low and beneath Amir and hurts the usefulness of this site because it is now BIASED. Not like we all don't take any statement on a site that claims to review audio gear with a GIANT grain of salt, but one might have at least trusted that the discussion and people on the site represented a spectrum of voices that added dimensions to the information and observations that could help to build a somewhat balanced view of the topic at hand. Now we have a biased site operator who has shown a willingness to quash a reasonably well trusted and agreed technically competent voice over a minor point that translates to more of a bruised ego than an underlying offense, you diminish the usefulness of the site as it now becomes a "curated" site that threatens to become the kind of trash that classic audiophile reviews were. Granted the site certainly isn't that bad yet, but this is a big step in that direction.
Why would you call it "minor point" when Erin was warned before? Amir has this rule, it's his site, like it or not, you have to respect it. This is not about how good or bad from a technical point of view either of them is.

Slayer

Seems painfully obvious to me. You know the old saying, opposites attract. Here in lye's the crux of it.
Erin and Amir are far more alike than they are different. When you get two likeminded individuals together, who they are bound to but heads. That's just the nature of the beast. Ask either one, they will probably tell you they couldn't be more different. Yet, the outsider looking in, will give you an entirely different take on their interactions.
It's just human nature, to think the other guy is in the wrong. Like it or not, they are somewhat in competition with one another. Sooner or later, either one or both will need to concede and find a working relationship they both can live with.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems painfully obvious to me. You know the old saying, opposites attract. Here in lye's the crux of it.
Erin and Amir are far more alike than they are different. When you get two likeminded individuals together, who they are bound to but heads. That's just the nature of the beast. Ask either one, they will probably tell you they couldn't be more different. Yet, the outsider looking in, will give you an entirely different take on their interactions.
It's just human nature, to think the other guy is in the wrong. Like it or not, they are somewhat in competition with one another. Sooner or later, either one or both will need to concede and find a working relationship they both can live with.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I don’t think we need separate threads for the same conversation. If you want to keep beating this dead horse, let’s do it in one place. Otherwise Brad and I are going to have to work all night getting multiple blood stains out of the carpet. ;)

AdamG

Forum Donor
I don’t think we need separate threads for the same conversation. If you want to keep beating this dead horse, let’s do it in one place. Otherwise Brad and I are going to have to work all night getting multiple blood stains out of the carpet. ;)
I have been swayed to reopen this thread so as to keep this subject separate from the speaker review thread of which this topic sprouted.

cavedriver

Why would you call it "minor point" when Erin was warned before? Amir has this rule, it's his site, like it or not, you have to respect it. This is not about how good or bad from a technical point of view either of them is.
I agree. This is Amir's site, and he has every right to run it how he likes. I do think it is contrary to the stated goals of the site if he bans someone for posting reviews and asks people (only in the videos) to post comments on the video. In that specific model I don't think they are driving audience away from ASR, but rather allowing parallel dialogs as best suited to each individual question. Honestly, if ASR were mentioned in the background texts on Erin's reviews ASR would probably receive a net increase in traffic from the shared outletting. Even without such a link I suspect just getting the use of the Klippel out there and doing these kinds of reviews is almost pre-destined to increase traffic to ASR since anyone doing a search is going to get multiple hits on the topic from the ASR site. If Erin's reviews lacked integrity, or if he continued to say in his posted reviews on this site for people to please comment in the youtube video, I would understand the ban, but I think neither of those things were the case just prior to the ban (apparently Erin may have said this in an earlier posting and was asked not to do it so taken care of). Personally I think the site benefits tremendously from the multiple reviewers provided their reviews are conducted with integrity and based on measurable data that forms the core of this site. A little like wine there are thousands of audio products out there and Amir can't possibly keep up with all the ones that come out, but unlike wine we do not have to wait for hundreds of reviews to assess the reliability of the palate of a particular reviewer.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I agree. This is Amir's site, and he has every right to run it how he likes.
No, it is not what I like. It is what *you* all like. You like that I have no way of benefiting from a positive review by having a commissioned link to Amazon, etc. You like it when I don't review a site sponsor product and praise it to hell. Or protect them against membership. You like it that the site is uncluttered with no advertising. These all come at my expense where I am in the hole with the capital purchases I have made. And continued purchase of audio gear to test.

So please don't make it like I have decided anyone with the name Smith to not post here. We, together, have made a deal to have the most pure and independent audio site on the internet. There are consequences to this for both of us. But hopefully the benefit far outweigh the downsides.

I do think it is contrary to the stated goals of the site if he bans someone for posting reviews and asks people (only in the videos) to post comments on the video. In that specific model I don't think they are driving audience away from ASR, but rather allowing parallel dialogs as best suited to each individual question.
No one was banned because the post a video and told to go and post on youtube. Person was *finally* banned when our very last agreement to allow him to stay here, was violated. This agreement was clearly stipulated after another major dust up. That he not post partial content here and tell people to go elsewhere to follow the rest. After months and months of conflict, we had to make a decision and put this behind us. And we have done so.

So don't trivialize this. No other forum would have put up with a fraction of this. I post a link to my published articles on a site with zero advertising and I was banned permanently by AVS Forum for "spam." 25,000 posts and 10+ years of membership meant nothing. I accepted it and moved on. And here I am.

Here we have a reviewer that so much counts you all's support that he thought any action he wants to take needs to be OK with us. Well, it is not. I don't care if we get zero traffic without him. I am going to review products and have discussions with people who are hear to do the same. So don't go defending him when we have the data to back our position.

AdamG

Forum Donor
^^^This has been directly answered with multiple explanations ^^^ and again the linked thread. Go hear and see posts #345,346 and #347.

That’s enough explanation. We’re not going to keep repeating ourselves. Let’s move on please.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Personally I think the site benefits tremendously from the multiple reviewers provided their reviews are conducted with integrity and based on measurable data that forms the core of this site.
We have a large number of reviewers that are here and contributing. None, try to game our traffic for their financial benefit. They are all professional and act accordingly. They didn't even need written rules to conduct themselves as they do. They contribute broadly beyond their own reviews. They don't just come here and say, "here is my review, check it out!!!" And oh, there is a number of pleas for money.

So absolutely we benefit from that. And so do the reviewers in engaging with our membership on technical topics. That one person can't do this doesn't mean something is at issue with us. Erin could flip a switch, remove all monetization from his site and content, and we would welcome him back. I can't be more plain about this.

And to make it clear, Erin was a delight to have here before he decided to buy the Klippel and go on fundraising. He didn't just take baby steps here. He went all in with every form of promotion, sponsorship, advertising, etc. We didn't change here. He did. And created a conflict based on our mission and my ethical standards of conduct in social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom