• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This imaginative drawing liked by Elon Musk reveals just how crazy SpaceX's first missions to Mars will be

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
https://amp.businessinsider.com/spacex-mars-spaceship-big-falcon-rocket-diagram-2018-9

5b919845dcee3029008b5ce7-960-720.jpg

5b91793a2154a342008b590c-960-664.png

Krunok

Major Contributor
Why send people to mars anyway?

Because in not so distant future we will spend all the resources of this planet we call Earth. At that moment we either have the viable option to move on or we die. But to have the viable option to move on at that point we have to act now. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
A new adventure, to push the limits, to explore where else is possible to subsist, to go beyond the imagination, for the ride.

That is only one of the obsessions, about the obsession for power and control of Earth @ the service of mankind. I'd say Earth first, space afterwards.

Question: What should we attach most priority?
a) Go to Mars
b) Go to hell
c) Go to heaven
d) All is family

Krunok

Major Contributor
A new adventure, to push the limits, to explore where else is possible to subsist, to go beyond the imagination, for the ride.

It's much more than that. The resources we are using are obviously limited so simple logic dictates we either expand to new territorries (planets) or we get annihilated.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

That is only one of the obsessions, about the obsession for power and control of Earth @ the service of mankind. I'd say Earth first, space afterwards.

Question: What should we attach most priority?
a) Go to Mars
b) Go to hell
c) Go to heaven
d) All is family

I got a few family members who I would nominate for a trip to mars lol

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It's much more than that. The resources we are using are obviously limited so simple logic dictates we either expand to new territorries (planets) or we get annihilated.

I know, that's reality; man cannot live forever on Earth unless he realizes the global situation and act to fix it...that'll be the day.

Me, I would give a free ticket for Mars to all the corrupt leaders from Earth.
That would require a huge armada of rocket ships.

Grave

Because in not so distant future we will spend all the resources of this planet we call Earth. At that moment we either have the viable option to move on or we die. But to have the viable option to move on at that point we have to act now. It's as simple as that.

Mars is not habitable. This is an unrealistic idea.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
They call it the Red planet, it must be quite hot. They need to bring water tanks.
If they take the water from Earth, we are going to fry and eventually burn to death.

I've read before that it takes a lot of fuel to go to Mars.
How much fuel do we have left on Earth?

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It's a fascination subject.

https://www.mars-one.com/faq/mission-to-mars/why-mars-and-not-another-planet
https://www.space.com/41318-we-cant-terraform-mars.html

And I agree with the last paragraph of the second article/link:

"However, although future technologies may allow humanity to change Mars in ways not possible today, instead of focusing our efforts on making Mars into Earth 2.0, "I think our efforts are better spent making sure Earth keeps its pleasant clement environment," Jakosky said."

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And I agree with the last paragraph of the second article/link:

"However, although future technologies may allow humanity to change Mars in ways not possible today, instead of focusing our efforts on making Mars into Earth 2.0, "I think our efforts are better spent making sure Earth keeps its pleasant clement environment," Jakosky said."

I'd really have to disagree.

Without some kind of offworld colonies the only way I see of indefinitely sustaining human civilization on Earth is going to require totalitarian government to enforce strict population controls and keep resources focused on basic survival instead of wasteful hobbies such as this website is dedicated to.

It's basically the plot for a dystopian sci-fi novel. Plus we'd still have to keep up a good space program anyway in order to deflect civilization ending asteroids.

Even then the sun will go red giant eventually so it will be best to have established large population centers in other systems beforehand.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Even if we are able to restore ecological balance to Earth, we still need off world colonies as a hedge against humanity from being wiped out by an asteroid strike.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Me I think that before we go starting new colonies somewhere else, on Mars, we should first improve our own colonies here.
That's very swell to have an eye towards the future, and develop new technologies for our survival there. But that's even more swell to develop better ways of living on our own planet first. We have everything to make everyone happy right here.

The problem, in my opinion, is the heavy concentration of populations.
We don't spread wide enough, into the lands, the forests, the mountains, the far North, the far South. By squeezing people all together we create more pollution, more disease, more rats, more corruption, more toxic wastes.

China is now limiting two childs per family and by giving tax breaks, similar to some governments giving tax reliefs to electric car buyers, like in Ontario, Canada for example.
They tried to eliminate it but they extended it just recently, just for another month.
That is only one approach on how we can improve on Earth before oil is spilling and spoiling all the Earth's beauty and its inhabitants.

That's a very small portion of my own views.
The scientists who gather informative data on our planet's climate changes and on the human race's evolution from the four corners of the globe, they are part of a network of future information for the survival/subsistence of our race here and beyond.
It's not easy to predict 1,000 years from now; how many more wars, how many more babies, how many more natural and human disasters?

Plus plus plus because how many more dead bodies from toxic water, from fake drugs, from cancer, from heart failures, from poor air quality?
It is imperative that we have intelligent leaders with an interest for survival and emancipation of the people. The economy alone is not sufficient to save the planet, it needs better management, meaning no corruption.

So, before we learn how to survive on Mars with new technologies that can provide, why not do it here when we are already here?

Last edited:

Sythrix

The resources we are using are obviously limited so simple logic dictates we either expand to new territorries (planets) or we get annihilated

Annihilation is fine , something else will evolve in our stead.

The economy alone is not sufficient to save the planet, it needs better management, meaning no corruption.

The answer is simple... Humanity's memory will be preserved by our AI children. If we're lucky, some of us might persist in a virtual environment.

Sythrix

Maybe it’s already happened..

I don't want to completely derail the conversation, but the Simulation Hypothesis is indeed an interesting one.

I personally think because of our self-destructive nature and our inability to enact changes in any reasonable timeframe, especially with concern to our environment and resources, means that we will not make a substantial colony or off-world excursion in time to save us from ourselves.

However, we might get to the point of making a sentient, conscious AI. Whether or not that AI finishes us off is irrelevant. They are more likely to survive than we are, especially with concerns to climate change. They would be the ones who would go on to fulfill the Simulation Hypothesis if anyone did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom