• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This DAC to improve the audio for my TV?

OP
A

Adriano

OUT OF CURIOSITY: is it possible to replace the 2 old Bose satellites (amplified) with 2 amplified speakers? I'd like to do this test. What can ithappen if I put these two amplified speakers instead of the 2 satellites in the amplifier connection? Thank you for some info.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry but I don't see JBL P30x speakers in any web site. I saw them: JBL Control 1Pro Pair.
A last question please, then I will not disturb you anymore. In your opinion if I will replace my old Bose satellites with them, will I increase the sound quality?
Thanks

I'm sorry, I had the name the wrong way around. It is actually JBL 30xP. So included in this range are: 305P, 306P, and 308P. All are excellent speakers, with the larger versions having similar midrange/treble performance but capable of lower bass and higher SPLs.

In objective terms, these would be a great step-up from your Bose satellites. However, these things are of course subjective, so I can't promise you'll prefer them :)

garbulky

Major Contributor
OUT OF CURIOSITY: is it possible to replace the 2 old Bose satellites (amplified) with 2 amplified speakers? I'd like to do this test. What can ithappen if I put these two amplified speakers instead of the 2 satellites in the amplifier connection? Thank you for some info.
Active speakers don't have amplifier connections and don't normally work that way. You have to use the pre-out on the back of your receiver. So yes you can use it but using the pre out connection only.
Emotiva has an unlisted sale for a set of airmotiv 5 ACTIVE monitors if you call them for $280.
dsc00255.jpg

https://www.cnet.com/news/emotiva-airmotiv5s-speaker-review-audiophiliac/
Contains 2 50 watt amplifiers per speakers (it is an active bi amplified speaker). It has a Kevlar woofer and a folded ribbon driver.

Last edited:
OP
A

Adriano

What connectors do the Bose satellites take? Or what is the model number?

I don't take any connectors. I like only to understand and I still don't understand. If I connect 2 amplified speakers in place of 2 satellites, what can it happen? I mean 2 speakers with built-in amplifier that don't need an amplifier to emit sounds. What couls it happen if I connect them to an amplifier instead of the 2 satellites not amplified?

I remember you I already have 2 amplified Edifier speakers and I listen the voice very well with them and now I'd like to do a test replacing the 2 not amplified satellites with the amplified Edifier. Doe it ruin the amplifier where all the other speakers are connected?

garbulky

Major Contributor
I don't take any connectors. I like only to understand and I still don't understand. If I connect 2 amplified speakers in place of 2 satellites, what can it happen? I mean 2 speakers with built-in amplifier that don't need an amplifier to emit sounds. What couls it happen if I connect them to an amplifier instead of the 2 satellites not amplified?

I remember you I already have 2 amplified Edifier speakers and I listen the voice very well with them and now I'd like to do a test replacing the 2 not amplified satellites with the amplified Edifier. Doe it ruin the amplifier where all the other speakers are connected?
Active speakers only use rca or xlr connectors (your amp rca pre out). Passive speakers use your amps speaker wire connectors

OP
A

Adriano

If I understand well It is impossible to use them with the amp, right?

garbulky

Major Contributor
I think your questions would be well answered by reading the manual of your receiver. Let's see if I can simplify it.
Here is the back of your receiver.
Onkyo-TX-NR545-back.jpg

You see that thing at the bottom near the middle that says subwoofer pre out? I think you should be able to use that one if it can be set to output full range. Your subwoofer preout may also NOT be full range which in that case you can't because then you will only get bass from it. If it's full range you can connect your active speakers to it.
That's the pre-out (preamp output) that I'm talking about. So you're going to need to go in to your manual and read to see if the subwoofer pre out is actually full range. Or you can try connecting your edifier speakers and see if it sounds full range. It'll be pretty obvious whether you just hear bass or all the rest of the audio.

If your zone 2 RCA output next to the preout has a variable volume you can use it too but I doubt it does because it's called a line out (fixed). But if it does then you can use that.
Now if you use the subwoofer preout, then it means you may not be able to connect the subwoofer. You can either use a RCA splitter cable to have two sets of outputs from the subwoofer preout to connect both your subwoofer and the active speaker. Or if your subwoofer has a stereo passthrough for your speakers you can use the RCA output from the subwoofer to your speakers. Your subwoofer may not have a stereo passthrough which means you may need to use a splitter.

All those big red and black speaker output terminals in the middle called "SPEAKERS" are the things that you use to connect passive (non active) speakers to. Those are only for regular speakers that are not active. This is because those are amplifier speaker outputs. You can't (usually) connect those to active speakers because active speakers already have an amplifier inside them.
Hope that helps. Remember check your manual and look at the back of both your receiver and your subwoofer and familiarize yourself with those preouts.

Top Bottom