• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This DAC to improve the audio for my TV?

Adriano

Hi, I'm not an experienced guy and I'd like to ak a questio: I have a Sony 65" TV with a 5.1 system from Bose. They are 10-15 years old speakers with the 2 satellites + 1 central speaker and 2 rear speakers. All driven by the Onkyo TX-NR545 amplifier (much more recent). If I had to add a DAC like Focusrite Scarlett 2I2 2Nd Generation
would the audio gain quality? I don't watch TV programs but only my dicumentaries with the narrative voice on. I make video editing.
Thanks again for your welcome info.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The DAC in the Onkyo is good enough most likely. The Focusrite will only give stereo, the receiver does 7.2

If you want to improve the sound quality I would replace the speakers.

OP
A

Adriano

Please, suggest me. I bought the central and the subwoofer 2-3 years ago and they are good. I think, I hope I have to replace only the satellites. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please, suggest me. I bought the central and the subwoofer 2-3 years ago and they are good. I think, I hope I have to replace only the satellites. Thanls for your advice.

If you like the centre and mains, I would keep the surrounds too given they’re a matching set.

OP
A

Adriano

I never use the surround because I don't liesten well the the narrative voice on.

Out of curiosity:
among many options my Onkyo TX-NR545 amplifier has Studio Mix and Orchestra. What are the differences?
Thanks

Last edited:
OP
A

Adriano

Why can't anybody give me some advices? :confused: What can I buy?

OP
A

Adriano

It is what I'm thinking too. I already have a good and recent subwoofer and central speaker, then I have 2 rear speaker, now I have to replace the 2 satellites because they are very old (Bose). I need an advice on the brand and on the precise model. My budged is around 100 euro, no more.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As said, probably the Onkyo is fine for its purpose. No need to go with a 2i2. Plus you have remote control with the Onkyo. If you wish to change right and left speakers that would make for an improvement. So is that a path you would like to take, and how much are you looking to spend?

Also if spoken voice is your main concern then replacing the center speaker might be all you need to do. You could replace just right and left and not use anything other than Subwoofer and right and left speakers. Or perhaps just center speaker if narrative comes thru that speaker all the time.

invaderzim

...with a 5.1 system from Bose. They are 10-15 years old speakers with the 2 satellites + 1 central speaker and 2 rear speakers. ....
Please, suggest me. I bought the central and the subwoofer 2-3 years ago and they are good. I think, I hope I have to replace only the satellites. Thanks for your advice.

Can you list off the actual models of the speakers and subwoofer since they seem to have been purchased at different times with some being 10-15 years old and others 2-3 years.

Why can't anybody give me some advices? :confused: What can I buy?

Have patience.
It takes awhile for a lot of people to see your post.
And there are plenty of people out there that will tell you quickly what to buy just based off what they like. Here you will likely get more questions before suggestions are made.

OP
A

Adriano

I checked:
Satellites are small Bose around 15 years old. I attach a pic.
Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW010 (45W)
Central speaker: JBL ES Series ES25C
2 rear speakers are Yamaha but they are old and they are on the wall and I can't check them.

I don't know if buying only two satellites I can improve audio quality. I repeat: I don't listen music but I watch my videos I make around the world. I make editing video with music, live sound, background sound and a narrative voice on (professional voice). I'd like to listen better my videos above all the narrative voice.
Thank you

Attachments

• Bose.jpg
    Bose.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:

invaderzim

Since you are watching videos that don't have surround sound on them I would set the receiver to just play stereo through the front left and right speakers and the subwoofer.

Then I would get a pair of Polk speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTIA3B/Polk-Audio-RTi-A3-Black.html or https://www.polkaudio.com/products/lsim703 to use as front left and right speakers. I'd choose between the two based on available space and budget (you will need stands for them too)

That is just what I would get because the Polks should have quite good clarity and are currently on sale for a good price.

I'm just guessing that the videos you make aren't encoded for surround sound; I haven't heard of individuals doing surround encoding before. If that is the case then your home theater receiver has to guess at what sounds to send to what speaker when it does a fake surround sound.

I don't know where you are located so if those speakers aren't reasonably priced there then I would go out and listen to pairs of speakers and find the ones within your budget that you like the best and that create an overall impression that you think you would enjoy while watching those videos.

OP
A

Adriano

Hey friend, thanks a lot for your suggestions. But it is impossible to open the second link. Out of curiosity: what are the specifications of the speakers I should buy? Are those passive? Are all the passive ok? Or should they have other features? Unfortunately those speakes are a lot over my budget and then I would like them small because they have to replace the satellites. But if all this can't be done and spending less money I can't improve the sound quality, I will not buy anything.

EDIT: do they replace the two satellites, right? I saw them: Polk Audio 19040. repeat, if they don't improve the sound quality, I will not buy anything.

Last edited:

garbulky

Major Contributor
Hi, I'm not an experienced guy and I'd like to ak a questio: I have a Sony 65" TV with a 5.1 system from Bose. They are 10-15 years old speakers with the 2 satellites + 1 central speaker and 2 rear speakers. All driven by the Onkyo TX-NR545 amplifier (much more recent). If I had to add a DAC like Focusrite Scarlett 2I2 2Nd Generation
would the audio gain quality? I don't watch TV programs but only my dicumentaries with the narrative voice on. I make video editing.
Thanks again for your welcome info.
Hi @Adriano
I'd like to give you some frank advice, but it mmay come off sounding too harsh. So first I'd like to say that if your setup sounds great to you, then it is great, I'm not trying to trivialize it.
Having said that...
What you have currently is not better than a home theater in a box.
The subwoofer, receiver, and especially the speakers are all relatively sub par when it comes to what you can get nowadays.

They are right that a dac is probably not going to make much of a difference in your setup.

So your real issue is two things when it comes to ugprading.
1. You are using a multichannel setup.
2. Your budget is a $100.
Combine the two and that means you really can't get anything even close to your budget to be a worthwile upgrade in my opinion.
I early on made the mistake of trying incremental upgrades - putting a $100, $200 bucks here and there. And over the years the sound quality barely improved. But the truth is that I should have saved up and made big significant purchases. When I finally did the sound quality jumped way over anything I had before. And it ended up costing me less than all the money I spent over the years trying to nudge the quality upwards. Ten years later, I'm still using the most of the same setup having saved tons of money wallowing in small upgrades.

So the first problem with a multichannel setup is:
Instead of splitting your money two ways for a two channel setup, you have to split your money eight ways!! And that's jsut for the speakers and subwoofers. Upgrading the elecrtonics will also at this level tend to be about 50% of your speaker budget.

What I did is that I invested in tower speakers and robust amplification. I found that their bass easily out did the muddy bass found on cheaper small subwoofers.

So at this point I would discourage you from ugprading.
But if you wanted to... two cheap ways - both ONLY two channel.

Active:
Get a set of mmonitors. A used pair of airmotiv 5 would be my reccomendations. They will out do both your satellites and your subwoofer and fill your room with some sound. Cost $500. If it's not sold out already Emotiva has a deal on some discontinued (new) airmotiv 5 for $279 but it looks like it's going fast. Use your current receiver's pre-outs into them, you may need some cheap adapters.

Passive:
Emotiva T zero speakers ($400)
Emotiva bas-x a-300.
Use your receivers pre-outs . You could also see if your ***receivers could power it*** without the A-300 to shave off $400....but you may get less than satisfactory results.
Total cost $850

***Though your receiver still probably has some okay power it is on the low side. In their advertising they advertise 100 watts per channel with only one channel driven at a high distortion level (1%). The company refuses to show what it can do in stereo. I did some digging and it can only do 20 watts per channel if all 7 channels are driven at high distortion.

So there ya go. It's a lot more than $100. What you need is a total system overhaul for a GOOD upgrade imo and unfortunately that's more than your current budget.

Last edited:
OP
A

Adriano

Yes, your advice is useful but it seems you don't remember what I listen/watch with my seakers. I don't listen music, never! I only watch my videos and the music often is in backgroud. For me the most important thing is to listen a good voice.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you advice is useful but it seems you don't remember what I listen/watch with my seakers. I don't listen music, never! I only watch my videos and the music often is in backgroud. For me the most important thing is to listen a good voice.
Okay, so is the voice only over the center speaker? If so you need to upgrade only the center speaker.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Yes, you advice is useful but it seems you don't remember what I listen/watch with my seakers. I don't listen music, never! I only watch my videos and the music often is in backgroud. For me the most important thing is to listen a good voice.
Gotcha. You may want to explore a larger speaker then. Those bose satellites probably don't handle a lot of the lower mids and bass causing a tinny sounding vocals. The airmotiv 5 would provide you with a fuller sound - but it is more expensive. Since you are only after dialogue clarity, there are likely cheaper options. But I don't have enough experience with them to give you good advice. Look for a bigger speaker than your current satellites like a bookshelf speaker of some sort.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBL P30x speakers can be had for around $100 new, are active (no need for additional electronics) and are probably as good as it gets in the price range. One of these for the centre channel would likely be a significant upgrade IMO.

OP
A

Adriano

Sorry but I don't see JBL P30x speakers in any web site. I saw them: JBL Control 1Pro Pair.
A last question please, then I will not disturb you anymore. In your opinion if I will replace my old Bose satellites with them, will I increase the sound quality?
Thanks

Top Bottom